You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Goodbye to a very special player.

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat
MASSIVE +1

Not too bad for a split ! :-))) xxx

Comments

• edited December 2014

I hope you will spare a few moments to read this.

Last night marked the virtual retirement from Sky Poker of one of THE great stalwarts of recreational play.

Not a "big name", just a small ball player, but a very special one.

Just plays DYM's, mainly PLO8 as it happens.

How many DYM's?

Of those 21,927, some 9,849 were in 2014, which is the 5th highest on the site measured by any or all formats of DYM. All the more remarkable they were in the less-trafficked PLO8 variant.

Won big money? Well not by the nose-bleed boys numbers, no, but pretty decent, all the same. Over all 21,927 games a ROI of 4.9% & a profit of £2,784. The vast majority of those near 22,000 games were at £3.30, so £2,737 takes some winning at that level. That makes the Sharkscope Graph a very pleasent sight, nice & steady, up up up, & all green.

Has a "Best Winning Streak" of 18, which is not so bad, & a "Most Losses Streak" of 20. Reacted to both in the same way. "This is poker, get used to it".

Pretty handy at NLH, too. Rarely plays NLH, but won a Freeroll into the last UKOPS High Roller & finished 6th, for £2,340. 

And this player has never once moaned or groaned, threatened to leave Sky Poker, caused the Mods a moments concern, bad-mouthed anyone in the chat box, just takes their wins & losses like a proper grown up.  

Promotes the game, too. Recently organised a Challenge which attracted a lot of interest, & a thread which ran to nearly 800 Posts, without a single moan or groan. Just recreationals enjoying themselves.

Studied the game, watched coaching videos, has Skype strategy groups?? No no, no, would rather stick needles in their eye than do that stuff. Just common-sense & application.

Regularly spends time coaching/mentoring new or inexperienced players, too, sitting with them at a 60p table if need be. Not so many players can say that.  

So, perfect in every way, then? No, not exactly. Talks. A LOT. Bores everyone with "interesting facts". Is a food-a-holic, too, & bores players to death with endless food stories. Consumes 10 packs of Twiglets every day, too. So no, not perfect, but this is a proper recreational player, playing the game as it was designed to be played - for fun.

Not a youngster either. Don't know their age, but we can assume it is retirement age.  

Yesterday was their last ever day on Sky Poker playing PLO8 DYM's, though a further non PLO Challenge is likely before the final goodbye in January or February.

Then it's a "Dream Retirement Holiday" in the USA, Florida, Vegas, all sorts. After that, it's goodbye Great Britain & hello to a new retirement villa in Corfu.

The name of this person is "Macacgirl1", real name Karen, who spent much of her life attached to Her Majesty's Royal Navy I believe.  

A sad day for me, as I have become very fond of Karen, & am going to miss her terribly, but that's the same for all the PLO8 DYM players here, they all love her to bits.

Not a sad day for Karen though, life moves on & all that.

Poker would be a far better place for a few more like Karen.

Good luck in your retirement Karen, & thank you for being such an inspiration to so many.You are the very essence of how a recreational player should play the game.

It really is all a bit totes emosh.   

• edited December 2014
    BIG +2  

Karen's one (of the many) reasons I play on Sypoker.    Gonna be missed for sure.
  • edited December 2014
    +3

A big loss for the Sky community and the Ploppers in particular 
  • edited December 2014

This is a person who has epitomised what recreational poker should really be about. Fun fun and more fun. Add to that the desire to give to others as well makes for one of the greatest things you could find on this or any site.

Will be sorely missed by all who have had the pleasure to run into her.

Only problem i can see is the next time she wakes up with a bag of spanners she will end up trying to fix something
  • edited December 2014

+5

I would also like to echo what Tikay has most eloquently expressed.

I only started playing plo8 towards the middle of this year having 'accidentally' regged thinking it was a plo tournament....needless to say I got destroyed, but the game intrigued me so I dipped my toe in a few DYM's and stumbled upon a fantastic bunch of folks.

The obvious love of the game shown by the majority as opposed to the attitude in certain other formats was massively refreshing. 

It soon became apparent that there was a special dynamic between the regulars in these games, but there was no hint of exclusion or elitism when someone new joined in, head of the 'welcoming commitee' was 'Macacgirl1' (along with many others of course), always ready with a 'hiya' and of course an 'interesting fact' when her main sparring partner was on the table......;-))

Glad to have met you albeit briefly, enjoy your place in the sun.

Neil
  • edited December 2014
    All the best Karen.

Was always a pleasure seeing you on the forums.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2014
    The very best of luck in your retirement. Enjoy the sun!
  • edited December 2014
    It has been my pleasure to play  PLO8 with Karen for a few years now.  As Tikay says, a very accomplished player, and has always taken my money in a very gracious manner.

You will be sorely missed on the PLO8 tables and, when you eventually retire to the sunshine, on the forum.

I am a tad Jealous of you retiring to Corfu, but as I know that you are still going to be organising some Poker out there, I am going to get Tikay to ask the suits if we can have a Corfu leg of the Sky Poker tour.

Enjoy you hols, sounds like a terrific trip, and your retirement in Corfu.

Craig
  • edited December 2014
    That's a real shame, tangled with Karen many times on the PL08 DYM's

Echo all that TK says above, a true legend of Sky Poker

Dave
  • edited December 2014
  • edited December 2014
    + 11

Its been great meeting you at the tables, and oh what fun we have had with the 'grumpy one', ditto to everything thats been said previously have a great holiday and fantastic retirement and best of luck in Corfu!!

I will try to keep your spirits alive by tormenting mr k as much as possible

Best wishes

Anne (Motherrrr)

xxxx
  • edited December 2014
    Good luck Macacgirl.
    Enjoy the sunshine.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
  • edited December 2014
    +13

Already wished Macacgirl all the best on the PLO8 challenge thread.

Just wanted to add my thanks on this thread too.

Complete star that will be sorely missed.

• edited December 2014
    Ah thanks everyone.
    I'm not gone just yet, but am 'retired' from PLO8.
    I'll still be playing NLH DYMs (but absolutely nowhere near the volume I used to with PLO8) and I've challenged myself again to try and win a couple of hundred £s via freerolls only. So I'm here until the end of Feb, albeit lightly, before we have a final big holiday, then moving.
    We are retiring early, not silly early, but I'm far from being a pensioner!
    Thanks again and I hope you all enjoy your game, nothing else can really matter, I'll always believe that.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Goodbye to a very special player.:
    Ah thanks everyone. I'm not gone just yet, but am 'retired' from PLO8. I'll still be playing NLH DYMs (but absolutely nowhere near the volume I used to with PLO8) and I've challenged myself again to try and win a couple of hundred £s via freerolls only. So I'm here until the end of Feb, albeit lightly, before we have a final big holiday, then moving. We are retiring early, not silly early, but I'm far from being a pensioner! Thanks again and I hope you all enjoy your game, nothing else can really matter, I'll always believe that.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    Good Luck!!!

BIG +14 too!!

You have Been Inspiring as well as much Fun!!

Please stay in Touch, look forward to playing against you more before you leave!!

The Hitman!!
  • edited December 2014
    Karen Inspired this idea & Helped me with it!!

POKER FOR HEROES!!!!

UKOPS Cashes 

£2,340.00  macagirl1   UKOPS HR 6th
    £1,349.71  HITMAN_RV UKOPS 4K BH 1st
       £128.96  GELDY UKOPS PLO 6th
       £106.00 
    TheUKSpoon UKOPS £55BH 13th
       £221.10  HITMAN_RV UKOPS3 16th
         £28.88  GELDY UKOPS 2K Mini 22nd
       £104.25  GELDY UKOPS Rebuy 10th
       £140.00  HITMAN_RV UKOPS5 9-Max 3K 9th
       £185.00  MacMonster UKOPS5
        £236.60 GELDY  £15,000 UKOPS 6 Main 16th
        £234.50 MacMonster UKOP Main

Day 1 Raised £522!!!!!!!!
    Day 2   £53
    Day 3   £35
    Day 4     -
    Day 5   £32.50
    Day 6   £83.00
    Day 7   £40.00
    Day 8   £67.00

10% Profits Donated   £590.50

Other Donations           £272.00

£862.50 !!!!! Total
  • edited December 2014
    All the best to you Macacgirl xxxx love paige
  • edited December 2014
    all the best  from johnny
  • edited December 2014
    Best of luck to you, girl...

...I work with annuity funds - could get you a bang-tidy deal on a pension.

Just holla ;)
  • edited December 2014
    Echo all of the sentiments posted, good luck and all the best for your new venture.
  • edited December 2014
    Bye maca! Girlfriend's light bulbs are still doing the job so while im in the good books ive started dropping hints about a Scalextric for Xmas.  Here's hoping!   Good luck in the freeroll challenge.  :)
  • edited December 2014
    Nice post Tikay.

Good luck Karen and best of luck.