You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is this ever a fold with KK?

edited December 2014 in The Poker Clinic
I don't think I've ever folded KK preflop before but he is 300+ bb deep, I'm also deep stacked and the short stack just flat called my 4 bet so must have something too.  The tiny raise followed by a shove after seeing my aggression screamed AA to me.

PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ladyalbionSmall blind £0.05£0.05£25.87
SwichacerBig blind £0.10£0.15£10.29
 Your hole cards
  • K
  • K

TIMBO160Fold    
Citizen5Raise £0.20£0.35£5.01
nutzzRaise £0.30£0.65£32.54
LJHAlmightFold    
ladyalbionRaise £1.05£1.70£24.82
SwichacerFold    
Citizen5Call £0.90£2.60£4.11
nutzzAll-in £32.54£35.14£0.00
ladyalbion??    

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Without specific notes, I'm taking a deep breath and then clicking the call button.

I don't expect to see just AA here, although obviously it's possible and it's very likely that they have an Ax hand which means we are going to have a sweat on through to the river.  I'd guess TT/JJ and maybe even QQ that don't necessarily know how to play them post flop and just fancy a gamble?  FWIW the last time this happened to me they turned over A5o...

If the bet sizing had been 'normal' up to his shove then more alarm bells may be ringing (ie something like 90p, £2.70, £5.10, shove) - but the little minraises I think makes any range much weaker.

Hope you held if you called :)
  • edited December 2014
    I wouldn't be concerned by the shortstack overcalling. And I think we have to get the money in. Sometimes we will be up against AA, but this is far outweighed by the times we see QQ/JJ/Ax or any random hand.

If it's any consolation, I stacked that villain about 5 times last night. Apparently I was a ''lucky fish'', and he wanted to play me HU. I said fine, go find a table and I'll join. He soon disappeared :(
  • edited December 2014
    Thanks guys, my immediate instict was to call but I talked myself out of it and folded, then immediately thought that was probably the wrong play.  To be honest having thought about it a bit more, I think my caution was mostly to do with having slowly ground out about £25 of profit so far that evening, and not wanting to lose it all in one fell swoop in a cooler.

Hhy - I hadn't seen enough of his play at this stage, but I shall definitely make a note if I see him again at the tables :)

Incidentally he had JJ, and hit a J on the flop, and then the small stack out drew him with a rivered straight.  So yay.
  • edited December 2014
    I hit fold 0% here and anything other than getting it in is bleeding money
  • edited December 2014
    If they are really passive tight, you can find a fold.

Most times we should be calling, there is the odd time (very seldom) when we can fold.

• edited December 2014
    Hmmm... raise, raise, raise, all-in?

I'm absolutely calling, but I would never be surprised to see AA there. It's far more likely here than if he had shoved at his first attempt.
  • edited December 2014