You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tues 2nd December - Did you have problems with Sky too?

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat
CC say that the servers were accessable, and that most others at the table were able to play on fine, therefor the problem is not their responsibility.

I disagree... were ALL players able to play on ok, ALL the time? - I'm pretty sure they werent, because friends I talk to on skype had similar problems on the same day!! do you know what the root cause the problem was? if not, how the hell do u know who's responsibility it is?! 

I could use the same argument too - all my other sites worked fine and I dont have these problems normally, therfor the problem is not my responsibility

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Hi all, 

I'm reaching the end of my tether with sky, which is a real shame, because I used to enojoy playing here exclusively every day.

I have occasional minor problems with the software (as pretty much everyone I have ever asked does) which I am willing to overlook, but when I have severe problems that directly effect results in tournaments, I expect something to be done about it. A refund, looking into the problem in detail etc. Nothing extreme, and the same I would expect from any site.

Anyway, I dont want to ramble, because I want people to actually read this and respond...

I had severe problems with the software/ connectivity on 2nd December - Tables gradually stopped working, either because the action buttons weren't visible, or because my action was not processed (if i clicked raise for example, the raise would be displayed but the timer would continue to timeout, until I was sat out). Leaving me with a problem of choosing when to restart the software such that the remaining working games were minimally impacted and before I had been sitting out too long on the tables that had stopped working.

I emailed customer care, this time with 7 or 8 screenshots of it happening on some tables but not others, and only on sky. An example is below, and a link is below that for those that view this before the image is approved.

CC responded, basically saying that it wasnt their problem - other players were able to play on fine and they cant see any server problems. Then rather helpfully gave me tips on how to fix problems my browser (I used to work in IT support, and I use the download ffs). I'll post the full response in a minute.

The main reason for this post is a last ditched attempt to get sky to look into these problems in detail, and to give me a refund before I permanently have my account closed

to help with this, I would like to establish whether I was the only one that experienced these kind of problems on Tuesday 2nd December, much worse than any other minor problems normally experienced...

link to screenshot for those that view before the iage is approved: http://postimg.org/image/idz5mvovr/
  • edited December 2014
    _______ Response via email on 06/12/2014 10.11 AM
    Dear Andy

Thanks for your e-mail.

We understand that it's frustrating to get disconnected whilst playing in a tournament, and can  appreciate that missing even a single hand can have a decisive detrimental effect.

However we have a policy of refunding players only when the cause of disconnection is demonstrably our responsibility. This applies to instances such as our servers being inaccessible, which would result in players being disconnected and then not being able to get back in.

After reviewing the games in question we can see that you did seem to experience some issues during play. Unfortunately most of the others on the table were able to play without issue and as such this suggests a connection issue at your side rather than an issue with the site itself. We cannot take responsibility for individual connection issues and therefore we will be unable to refund your buy in I’m afraid.

We would suggest that you follow the below steps to try and resolve the issue;

• Alternative Browser - The major browsers we currently support at the moment are Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome. If you are using an alternative browser such as Opera or Safari, please reattempt the action you were taking with an alternative browser.

• Refresh  - If you encounter an error message when attempting to buy into a game, launch a game, view the lobbies etc., pressing the 'Refresh' or 'Reload' options within the browser toolbar may allow you to progress. The 'F5' key on your keyboard will also perform this function.

• Clearing your Browsing History, Cookies and/or Cache - Contained within the 'Tools' or 'Options' menu of your browser - usually one of the options across the 'File Edit View...' grey toolbar across the top - should be a setting to clear or delete your browsing history. On occasion, your browsing software may save or remember an area of the site from a previous visit to speed up page load. This can then cause issues with the very latest versions of the site as the browsing software is referring to an out-of-date area or function. Clearing your history or cache can often resolve these issues.

• Reinstalling Java or Flash Player - Aspects of our sites use Java and Flash to display information. Always ensure you have the latest versions at:http://www.java.com/getjava/ (Java) and http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (Flash Player). Uninstalling and reinstalling these programs can also resolve issues you may experience.

• Restart your PC - Some applications, components or functions may require a restart of your PC in order to function correctly. A full restart of your system may eradicate any issues you could be experiencing.

• Run Antivirus software - To ensure your PC is in full working order we would recommend installing an antivirus program and running security checks on your system at regular intervals. A full check of your system may reveal issues with your general internet browsing experience.

We would also suggest that you download Sky Poker as this is a more stable platform, you can do this herehttps://support.skypoker.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9/c/28

If, once you follow the above, you are still experiencing connection issues then please contact us again.

Kind Regards

_______
    Customer Care Team
  • edited December 2014
    I didn't encounter any problems on Tuesday so can't comment on the specifics, but will say I hope things are sorted for you in a satisfactory manner and you remain on the site. Would be a shame to see you leave but fully understand the reasons behind it.

I did have one CC operative say recently, when I experienced Virgin media based problems, that the download isn't compatible with Windows 8, after calling me a liar regarding my inability to play my hands. I've only been playing on the download client for 18 months through Windows 8, yeah it ain't compatible :)
  • edited December 2014
    my response...

Hi ______, 

I already use the download, and have done for a long time. 

I don't find your response acceptable. You say that  "most players were able to play without an issue, as such this suggests a connection issue at your side" - this doesn't look at the full picture. I can use the same argument - ALL my other sites, and music streaming service worked fine (ruling out internet connectivity probelms), and I haven't had these problems since (ruling out a computer problem), as well as the fact that other people I talked to that evening experienced the same problems (not necessarily at exactly the same times). This all suggests that the problem is indeed on Sky's end.

An example of how the problem could be with sky, that allowed most people to play on, would be server load capacity being reached - as the maximum capacity is reached some users tables are disconnected/ timeout. In my time in IT support, we had a very similar problem with a router - during peak times the router's cpu would max out, meaning that some (seemingly random) packets were dropped, which in turn caused all sorts of strange network problems.

I'm not saying this is the problem, just showing that just because the servers were accessible and most others were playing on, it does not mean that the problem is not with Sky. 

I have posted on the forum to establish just how many other people had the same problem on 2nd December, already there are 3 people (none of which are me) that say they did experience similar problems on 2nd December and I'm sure there will be alot more by the time you look. Again suggesting that the problem is with Sky somehow.

Regards, 

Andy
  • edited December 2014
    There were problems on Tuesday evening I believe. I very rarely get disconnected from Sky Poker, touch wood, but on Tuesday I lost connection around 5/6 times in the space of an hour. I think this may have been around 9/10 pm.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Tues 2nd December:
    There were problems on Tuesday evening I believe. I very rarely get disconnected from Sky Poker, touch wood, but on Tuesday I lost connection around 5/6 times in the space of an hour. I think this may have been around 9/10 pm.
    Posted by FlyingDagg

did you email cc? You should be due a refund for all the games effected. Once they accept responsibility that is.

i would urge anyone that experienced problems to do so. Hopefully together we can get something done!

• edited December 2014
    I also had issues on Tuesday evening which were driving me mad (madder than usual!).  Kept being timed out on actions when the software didn't seem to register that I was clicking an action.  I could see the other table movement - i.e. what each player was doing in succession but software wouldn't register my own action.  Not every hand - but a lot of them.  I gave up in the end and just played on a different site instead.  Missed the banter at the tables though but didn't miss the disconnection problems.
  • edited December 2014
    Hope you get a good result Chick!
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by FlyingDagg

Same for me and a few others on a DYM table i was playing.

Only playing one table at the time !
  • edited December 2014
    I'm afraid I cant comment about 2nd of December, so apologies if you think this is off at a tangent....

I have regular issues with sky software, and like you have other poker sites and software running fine when sky crashes/freezes. Now i'm no technical expert (or poker expert lol) but a friend of mine took a look at my laptop and said the sky program uses a lot of processing power when its running. So my laptop doesn't like it, freezes sky whilst other stuff run. To counteract this I sometimes play through windows. I do all the things sky have told you to do, clear cookies etc but to no avail, I still get the white screen of death. I have so many weird little niggly things that happen too (chips still on table when hand dead, missing cards, random connection errors when moving tables etc etc).

For some reason skys stock answer is "no problem our end" now they may be right as far as the internet connection is concerned. My guess is there are fundamental flaws within skys programming that they are not willing to address. What makes it worse is I have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL with any other poker software! So by burying their heads in the sand all sky are gonna do is lose players! Ranging from mediocre (me) to pretty damn good (you)!

Fingers crossed you get some sort of refund/compensation.
  • edited December 2014
    I'm afraid I cant comment about 2nd of December, so apologies if you think this is off at a tangent.... I have regular issues with sky software, and like you have other poker sites and software running fine when sky crashes/freezes. Now i'm no technical expert (or poker expert lol) but a friend of mine took a look at my laptop and said the sky program uses a lot of processing power when its running. So my laptop doesn't like it, freezes sky whilst other stuff run. To counteract this I sometimes play through windows. I do all the things sky have told you to do, clear cookies etc but to no avail, I still get the white screen of death. I have so many weird little niggly things that happen too (chips still on table when hand dead, missing cards, random connection errors when moving tables etc etc). For some reason skys stock answer is "no problem our end" now they may be right as far as the internet connection is concerned. My guess is there are fundamental flaws within skys programming that they are not willing to address. What makes it worse is I have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL with any other poker software! So by burying their heads in the sand all sky are gonna do is lose players! Ranging from mediocre (me) to pretty damn good (you)! Fingers crossed you get some sort of refund/compensation.
    Posted by ShaunyT

I completely agree Shauny - there are definately some problems with the coding in the software: problems moving tables, getting in a "half disconnected states" where you can't the lobby/player note etc amongst others. 

The problem with sky poker using alot of processing power on your computer is an issue I used to have. Unfortunately the sky poker client doesnt seem to be particularly efficient with system resources, especially the processor. For me it meant playing less tables, or getting a new laptop, which I did. My laptop is a beast of a machine now so copes fine with as many tables as I want.

• edited December 2014
    I also had issues on Tuesday evening which were driving me mad (madder than usual!).  Kept being timed out on actions when the software didn't seem to register that I was clicking an action.  I could see the other table movement - i.e. what each player was doing in succession but software wouldn't register my own action.  Not every hand - but a lot of them.  I gave up in the end and just played on a different site instead.  Missed the banter at the tables though but didn't miss the disconnection problems.
    Posted by IrishRose

Hi Irish.

The problems must of been especially frustrating for you, since u do like to play ALOT of hands hehe.

sounds alot like the problems I was having, just wish sky would acknowledge they have/had a problem!

• edited December 2014
    Yeah it was a dog to stay connected on Tuesday, I restarted the laptop and the download client numerous times but it never really fixed itself.

The weirdest thing was that the odd table would be find an play on, even while others were just showing the buffering symbol and refusing to take my bets. This often seems to be overcome by playing in browser, but then you have to use larger tables and they don't (as far as I know) auto-focus.

I suppose this can never be totally avoided, but Sky should be expected to help out customers where possible (I'm lucky that being a cash player it's rare to massively lose out, although it is super-tilting to be timed out with AA when others have been raising before you!).

The other stuff you mention about lobby / notes / hand history stopping working mid-game is just plain daft. I can't believe this still hasn't been fixed as the new software has been about for an age now. It still happens way too frequently that notes and colours are either lost completely, or just can't be accessed. I'm sure it can't be THAT hard for a decent programmer to fix bugs like that, but Sky obviously haven't been keen to pay the money to get it fixed :/
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Tues 2nd December : did you email cc? You should be due a refund for all the games effected. Once they accept responsibility that is. i would urge anyone that experienced problems to do so. Hopefully together we can get something done!
    Posted by chicknMelt
    No I didn't as I was only playing 1 table and it didn't really affect me too much. I play very tight unlike Irishrose!

Agree that it's heavy on the RAM. I'm currently playing 1 table with just the necessary progs running and my RAM is at 50% and CPU between 12 and 35%.

Also I will point out that Sky Poker is the only poker DOWNLOAD I have installed that is not fully fuctional. I can't remember the last time player search, HH or My Tables worked. I sometimes lose the MTT lobby too. All fine via a browser. Coincidence? I think not.
  • edited December 2014
    I had disconnetion issues Tuesday also, glad its not just me in a semi selfish way.
  • edited December 2014
    I had one disconnection where the client just came up saying 'network error' and forced me to close. Did the usual of make sure I can access a website that I haven't been on that night and that was working, so tried the client again and it was working ok. Then around 4-5 times it came up with the same 'network error' message, but was strange because the table was still working so I just closed the pop-up each time. Didn't really think anything of it as it didn't affect me and hasn't happened since.

I was only playing one table by the time this started happening so didn't really cause me any pain. I did see the issue once where I was moved table and couldn't see my cards, even though I was dealt into the hand - I had never had this before, but have heard others say about it.

I very rarely play more than 2 table's, so see less problems than others. However, in the summer I was playing and my Internet connection died, so as I was still playing in a tournament I turned my phone into a hotspot and got the laptop running through the phones 3G connection. I have a 3G Watchdog App so it tracks my monthly usage and in the space of around 20 minutes (I think) I used over 150MB of my usage, luckily by this time my Internet connection had come back up. This shows a lot of bandwidth is required for each table to run, so for those running 6 tables they could be downloading around 1GB in a 20 minute window. This seems a lot as it is hardly HD video, just a few cards. Not sure if Sky or anyone has done any testing on the amount of MB each table uses, just probably something worth pointing out.

Hope you get some kind of refund and they sort you out, pretty obvious you are geniune. Very frustrating talking to any kind of CC when you are technical yourself and they are usually reading off a script.
  • edited December 2014
    Yep, I was playing the dym with vespa i had problems for about an hour. I had to close the table and come back a few times as it kept timing vespa and myself out...yet I could see all the cards and the others had no problem.

Strange one.
  • edited December 2014
    Yeah my tournament lobby button usually stops working after about 15mins of the download being open. I can only find a player when on the main pc not on my laptop. When switching tables cards vanish. Plenty of bugs, by no means my internet isn't perfect but hard to take when every other site works fine. Surely sky need to listen to feedback might be a short-term expense to get it sorted but can only help in the long run. Hope you get your money back anyway be a shame for players to leave the site. 
  • edited December 2014
    I had problems as well, it kept timing me out and i had to keep closing the table and reopening it as there was no i'm back button
  • edited December 2014
    Yeah my tournament lobby button usually stops working after about 15mins of the download being open. I can only find a player when on the main pc not on my laptop. When switching tables cards vanish. Plenty of bugs, by no means my internet isn't perfect but hard to take when every other site works fine. Surely sky need to listen to feedback might be a short-term expense to get it sorted but can only help in the long run. Hope you get your money back anyway be a shame for players to leave the site. 
    Posted by nickd49931
    Bolded bit has been a long time problem for me.

Luckily I haven't been affected with the connection issues.
  • edited December 2014
    I've flagged this FAO the peeps at Sky Towers
  • edited December 2014
    Yes Melty, i have started many threads on this subject, and its always my fault apparently. LOL. I had issues yesterday the 6th , tables lagging constantly,drives me mad, no issues on other sites.
  • edited December 2014
    I have had a few problem from Tuesday onwards to be honest. The most common on Tuesday was pressing an action and then being timed out. This was particulary frustrating when I was dealt KK, I go to re-raise, I just get the spinning timer after I have selected a raise and get timed out.

I also had the same problem when I final tabled the £1k BH on Friday night. When down to the final 3 one of the players 'longshotmp' kept getting disconnected I believe, ehich crippled his stack when the blinds were 16/24k.

I appreciate there will always be problems with IT, but for these problems to be ongoing is poor form. In skys defnece though, they have been brilliant with past problemz with me. Hope you sort it out
  • edited December 2014
    I wouldnt suggest you switch to an iPad then, i had to start every HU yesterday with 350 chips, cos I'd been folded round, cos sky had probs opening the tables!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Tues 2nd December - Did you have problems with Sky too?:
    I wouldnt suggest you switch to an iPad then, i had to start every HU yesterday with 350 chips, cos I'd been folded round, cos sky had probs opening the tables!
    Posted by thefa1lacy

also the app wouldnt load on my pc until i restarted the pc. several times yesterday...maybe some cookie?
  • edited December 2014
    Posted by thefa1lacy
    To be fair, that does sound like more of a problem at your end.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Tues 2nd December - Did you have problems with Sky too? : To be fair, that does sound like more of a problem at your end.
    Posted by FCHD

The Sky app runs with a delay, always has. Always have the latest Apple gear, not a single prob, plus superfast broadband here. Reg for a game on the app an usually takes a min to show up that you've regged. If you click rematch HU then you really in trouble, as it will never open on time. The same on many different Apple products, which I've used on other people's home networks. Needs sorting before they launch multi tabling on same screen for iOS.