You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

call or not to call

edited December 2014 in The Poker Clinic
On ft of super roller 6 left have 500k stack 1.8 million chips in play. 
solak opans to 20k 240k stack 
kosb shove 400k on button 
i have ak on big blind what to do the only stack thank can affect me, if i win i have over 50% of chips in play. or should i consider laddering and keep out of trouble.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    Tough spot and a lot of ppl may say go for the win. But I think I might actually fold here. Reason is I would want to be the one putting the pressure on. I think we win more chips this way in the long run?

Ps. I would be more inclined to call if villian had been very active or we had more chips left behind. If we had less we obviously go with it. 
  • edited December 2014
    I think it's a fold either way, but what are the blinds? Presumably Solack has just minraised so it's 5k/10k which would mean the 3b shove is for 40 bigs, that's the minimum it could be anyway after a minraise, if he's made it more than 2x (i.e. the blinds are smaller than 5k/10k) then we're even deeper and it becomes even more of a clear fold imo.

The payjumps are pretty big at this stage of an MTT, I aint checked the lobby but I'd imagine the payouts were in the region of....

£1.1k
    £1.4k
    £2.1k
    £3.4k
    £4.1k
    £5.4k

I just don't think we need to cold call a 40BB shove to effectively flip for almost our entire stack when we're CL. Obv we aint always flipping, sometimes we're chopping (most of the time) against AK, occasionally we'll be crushed, occasionally we'll have them crushed but our equity V his range will be close to a flip imo. If we feel like we have an edge then this spot isn't giving us the chance to realise it.
  • edited December 2014
    You know my thoughts RSPCA ;)

Paul, payouts were much flatter than that for 6th-3rd. Between 1k and 1.9k for those spots, fwiw (if memory serves me right!).
  • edited December 2014
    ty for replays its a very intesting spot the blind were 5k-10k. and yes hhy the payjumps bewteen 6 and 3 not that big considering what the top prizes are. its defo a plus ev call but the sitauation and pay jumps may not be worth it,
  • edited December 2014
    Is it really deffo +cEV, I'm not even sure it is +cEV, nevermind +£EV

I think we can assume Solack is folding almost always if we call, he might call it off with QQ+ and that's about it imo.

So if we assume for ease he always folds, we are calling 390k to win the 435k already in there (Solly's 20k, villians 400k, SB 5k + BB 10k).

I don't know anything about KOSB, but people don't 3bet jam into 24xBB stacks light, especially not when they have 40xBB and are covered by someone behind, and especially not when they're sitting pretty on the Roller FT so I think maybe 88+ and AK is fair/maybe optimistic and against that range we are 42.29% v 57.71% so that wouldn't be +EV.

Even if we stretch it to 88+ and AQ+ which I think is really getting on the optimistic side we still only have 48.88% v 51.12% so it's vvv marginally +EV.

If Solly does call then our equity just gets really bad for that 720k ish (240 x 3) side pot.

I'm all for the 'going for the win' mentality, coming top 3 in MTTs is what it's all about but that doesn't translate to having to take every single tiny +EV spot and knowingly calling it off to flip with very deep stacks in these spots.
  • edited December 2014
    Kosb range I believe is a bit wider here as if he was playing he was jamming . He never standard 3 bets etc. think he 3 bet 23 bigs with aj that's how he got he chips.  And jammed another 2 times before this. Having got of differnt answers regarding this from online players and also some there gd live player. I believe it a 50/50 call.  Would like to thank lambert Craig and of hhr for there replay. 
  • edited December 2014
    I snap shove/call, 

1) big money is in top 3 spots (normally first is nearly double second too)
    2) win this hand and i would feel fairly confident i could take the tournament down and at very least make it heads up
    3) i find at about 2/3am which im guessing this was, play becomes far less optimal and people tend to get it in far lighter.
    4) that size shove pretty much rules out aa/kk/qq for me id say its 60/40 where most of the times you are flipping but a decent chance you are crushing
    5) the guy shoving is likely to be the softest player and this may be the only chance you get to take his chips
    6) lets say you fold and solack calls with 99/1010/jj/aq etc (hands that he folds if we call) then i would hate to be on a final table where solack has a load of chips
    7) on an average roller final table the edge is minimal and sometimes non existant and you cant afford to pass up these chances as you might not get another.

I completely get what Lambert says and i believe and the maths and percentages may weigh towards what he is saying but i believe the maths of the situation is just one of a number of aspects you have to consider in this spot. 
  • edited December 2014
    Jordan sums it up quite nicely. I thought at the time it was too good a spot to pass as villain almost never has AA/KK so we are flipping with the odd chance we could be crushing, and more importantly we cover the villain.

Can understand why people would pass with laddering considerations and whatnot but the real, real chunky sums are in the top 3, and winning this makes us pretty much a lock for a podium finish. Another thing was there was no real short stack. Think Solack was the SS but still had 20bb or so, so no real immediate ICM issues, rest of the stacks were quite flat.

Paul (and anyone else), out of interest and in a vacuum, had the villain done a standard 3bet, do you 4bet all in from the blinds, as the chip leader, with AK?
  • edited December 2014
    OK time for some ranges!! If we believe villain is quite wide (and we exclude AA/KK for reasons Jordz gave) and we have AKs then our equity is pretty good. If we only have AKo our equity drops just over 2%. 

Hold'em Simulation ? 
    308,214,720 trials (Exhaustive)
    HandEquityWinsTies
    AxKx55.50%168,720,6844,679,616
    88-QQ, AT+, KxQx44.50%134,814,4204,679,616
    In response to Jordz reasons: 1) Agreed and going for the win in these tournaments is important. If this was anything other than FT it would be a clear call. Or if we were middling/low on chips again it would be a clear call. But laddering the FT is not to be completely ignored out of the equation especially if that money would mean a lot in terms of your overall bankroll.

2) Agreed. I'm sure ICM would be able to solve this problem too? Lets say if we call and win we are going to make £4.3k on avg. If we call and lose we'll probably make around £1.4k on avg. If we don't call we'll still be in good shape to make final 3 at least and will probably make at least £3k on avg. If we have 55% chance of winning hand and combine first 2 figures based on that (4.3x0.55)+(1.4x0.45) = 2.995k ~ £3k. So according to this made up ICM calculation (which I don't believe will be too far from an accurate one) folding does just as well as calling.

If anything, the £3k for folding might be slightly on the conservative side since a top 3 will probably occur at least 50% of the time and 3rd place alone is worth more than £3k. 

3) I wouldn't know haha! To an extent, yep. I did give a fairly wide range below - I don't think you can get much wider though?
    4) Agreed - put in my calcs. 
    5) But against the softest player do we really want to be risking it on a flip?
    6) True, something that needs to be considered but unless Solack was UTG we at least don't have him sat in the worst position to us. 
    7) We're chip leader. We don't have to take every potential flip - even if we don't find a better hand from now till the end we'll have spots where we can put our chips in with 2 chances to win. 

If we go back to my brief ICM calculation we see that 55% equity is on the cusp - where we'll make £3k on avg whether we fold or call. (but I believe we could make slightly more than £3k by folding than I predicted)

If we have 60%+ equity then it looks to become a clearer cut call. QQ would have over 65% and be a clear call. JJ (even if we include a couple KK combos) would have 64%. TT on the other hand would only have 52% and be a fold. 

So basically we can cold call a shove with JJ-AA and it be good. We don't need to add in AK to that. Suited maybe is good enough but o/s definitely not. It's not like we'll have many spots like this anyway. Most of the time we will raise/get shoved on (and have better equity to call off because we've already put a couple BB's into the pot) or we'll 3-bet shove (and have fold equity + equity we have when called)  
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: call or not to call:
    OK time for some ranges!! If we believe villain is quite wide (and we exclude AA/KK for reasons Jordz gave) and we have AKs then our equity is pretty good. If we only have AKo our equity drops just over 2%.  Hold'em Simulation  ?   308,214,720 trials (Exhaustive) Hand Equity Wins Ties AxKx 55.50% 168,720,684 4,679,616 88-QQ, AT+, KxQx 44.50% 134,814,420 4,679,616 In response to Jordz reasons: 1) Agreed and going for the win in these tournaments is important. If this was anything other than FT it would be a clear call. Or if we were middling/low on chips again it would be a clear call. But laddering the FT is not to be completely ignored out of the equation especially if that money would mean a lot in terms of your overall bankroll. 2) Agreed. I'm sure ICM would be able to solve this problem too? Lets say if we call and win we are going to make £4.3k on avg. If we call and lose we'll probably make around £1.4k on avg. If we don't call we'll still be in good shape to make final 3 at least and will probably make at least £3k on avg. If we have 55% chance of winning hand and combine first 2 figures based on that (4.3x0.55)+(1.4x0.45) = 2.995k ~ £3k. So according to this made up ICM calculation (which I don't believe will be too far from an accurate one) folding does just as well as calling. If anything, the £3k for folding might be slightly on the conservative side since a top 3 will probably occur at least 50% of the time and 3rd place alone is worth more than £3k.  3) I wouldn't know haha! To an extent, yep. I did give a fairly wide range below - I don't think you can get much wider though? 4) Agreed - put in my calcs.  5) But against the softest player do we really want to be risking it on a flip? 6) True, something that needs to be considered but unless Solack was UTG we at least don't have him sat in the worst position to us.  7) We're chip leader. We don't have to take every potential flip - even if we don't find a better hand from now till the end we'll have spots where we can put our chips in with 2 chances to win.  If we go back to my brief ICM calculation we see that 55% equity is on the cusp - where we'll make £3k on avg whether we fold or call. (but I believe we could make slightly more than £3k by folding than I predicted) If we have 60%+ equity then it looks to become a clearer cut call. QQ would have over 65% and be a clear call. JJ (even if we include a couple KK combos) would have 64%. TT on the other hand would only have 52% and be a fold.  So basically we can cold call a shove with JJ-AA and it be good. We don't need to add in AK to that. Suited maybe is good enough but o/s definitely not. It's not like we'll have many spots like this anyway. Most of the time we will raise/get shoved on (and have better equity to call off because we've already put a couple BB's into the pot) or we'll 3-bet shove (and have fold equity + equity we have when called)  
    Posted by F_Ivanovic

yeah i agree with all that mate, you cant argue with the maths at all, i just gave the reasons why i would call, i dont think there is any shame in folding at all, I was just listing the reasons why i would call, there are a few reasons why i would find the fold but from all the info i have seen id stand by calling in this exact position. I would be pretty annoyed if i folded and then a few hands later saw him do the same with aj/a10 etc and see someone snap him off and double up...

ICM is one area i probably need to know a bit more about, i have a decent understanding of it and use the basics when deep in tournaments, personally i would over emphasise going for the win, I play for the money of course but if you offered me a chance to win a roller for 5k or to have lets say a 10th place finish on another site for 5.3k i would much rather the 5k and the win for the personal acheivement that goes with it. So what im saying is i would weigh the maths more in favour of going for the win and not just look at the numbers but also look at what it would mean to you

• edited December 2014
    Jordan sums it up quite nicely. I thought at the time it was too good a spot to pass as villain almost never has AA/KK so we are flipping with the odd chance we could be crushing, and more importantly we cover the villain. Can understand why people would pass with laddering considerations and whatnot but the real, real chunky sums are in the top 3, and winning this makes us pretty much a lock for a podium finish. Another thing was there was no real short stack. Think Solack was the SS but still had 20bb or so, so no real immediate ICM issues, rest of the stacks were quite flat. Paul (and anyone else), out of interest and in a vacuum, had the villain done a standard 3bet, do you 4bet all in from the blinds, as the chip leader, with AK?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Facing a standrd 3bet then yes - definitely. 

If we give villain a range of calling our 4-bet AI as 99-AA, AJ+ then with AKs we have 51% equity - so sightly less than we have by just calling his shove with AKs. However, we also now have fold equity. Villain might fold some of his value 3-bets and will fold all of his bluff 3-bets. So providing villain is bluffing enough (or value 3-betting wide enough that he might fold some of his value 3-bets) then we just have a very profitable shove.

BTW: Before I did the calculations and suppose I was in game I would probably end up calling AKs and folding AKo (but both decisions would have felt close to me in-game!) Nice to see that the calculations I've done sort of back that up. AKs seems like a very close fold and AKo seems slightly clearer fold but both are pretty close.
  • edited December 2014
    Ivan, great post up there but I have to point out that 3rd place is not £3k+, it was just shy of £2k. Lambo was well off with his estimates ;)

Just to clarify, the payouts (from memory) were....

Obviously give or take a few quid either side.
  • edited December 2014
    I was close!
    HeadsValue

weesambo9119400001st/194£5400
    kosb1402£3260
    nagrom03£1970
    xinkerke2204£1550
    SoLack05£1320
    rspca1206£1100
  • edited December 2014
    @ Jordz:

Yep, seeing him shove later with AJ/AT and double someone up would be annoying. Equally (or far more) annoying though would be to call and lose against 55 and end up busting in 6th place after being chip leader! I get your point about playing for the win and prestige and if as the Maths shows it's a close decision then I wouldn't blame you for taking the slightly less -ev decision!

I think what the money means to you is something that should also affect the Maths in these situations. If your more than rolled enough for this tournament then always taking the most +ev decisions is best. If you won via satellite then most of the tournament you should still take the most +ev decisions but when it comes to the FT even though you might make more money on avg by calling in a certain spot, folding could be the correct decision for you since it's a spot that won't come up often enough for you to level out the variance (and avg's) 

It's also why cashing out has become popular within the betting industry. Say you have a 6 team accumulator at odds of 1000/1 and a fiver on it. Cashing out for X amount is always slightly -ev? I think (it's BE at the best anyway) but most people that don't put on that many bets won't often have a 1000/1 shot have a chance of winning. And so better to take the money whilst you have it then risk it all losing! 

Anyway would love to know what Hero did here and result?
  • edited December 2014
    I was close! Heads Value                 weesambo91 1940000 1st/194 £5400 kosb14 0 2 £3260 nagrom 0 3 £1970 xinkerke22 0 4 £1550 SoLack 0 5 £1320 rspca12 0 6 £1100
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Ah so that answers my above post - am guessing rspca12 called and ended up busting out shortly after. Unlucky anyway but still a nice enough cash - what hand were you against RSPCA if your still following this thread?

And yeah OK that messes up my made up ICM calcs!!

Probably means we will get less money on avg by folding than my initial suggestion of £3k (I dunno, lets say if we fold our % of coming in following positions is: 1st 25%, 2nd 35%, 3rd: 20%, 4th: 10%, 5th: 7% 6th: 3%)

5400x0.25 = 1350
    3260x0.35 = 1141
    1970x0.2 = 394
    1550x0.1 = 155

5th and 6th place are going to be around 120 between them so actually yeah that's still almost £3k we'll get on avg if we fold now. I dunno this is all just speculation though!

• edited December 2014
    My head hurts.

Villain had QQ.
  • edited December 2014
    You guys focusing purely on how much equity we have vs his perceived range are really capping your money making ability in MTT's. Seeing beyond the obvious lines of information is what can increase or decrease ones ROI in any given situation.
    Anyone can run some numbers and see if we (in theory) make money calling with AKo here, but to understand exactly how well (or not so as the case may be) our hand is doing its imprtant to understand the situation completely, this includes our opponents tendancies, his ability level, is this his standard thing to shove huge stacks preflp, his mindstate (has he just lost a big pot, hence the 40bb shove etc) and also how the result of us winning or losing the hand impacts on our ability to make the maximum amount of money from the game (is our edge on the remaining players big enough that we can pass up marginally +EV situations?).
    I havnt read all of the above replies, but, im not sure if its been mentioned that sky (for some unknown reason) dont have antes in there mtt's yet, which will differ ranges appreciably.
    I dont play many games on sky, unless its UKOPS (insert brag that i just received my 2 bracelets in the post for last months series), so i dont know of your ability level rspca12, but i think its importnt that all poker players are realistic, something that alot of people struggle with. If your a professional player and you think you have a appreciable "edge" on the remaining players, and with no antes and a good structure, i think we make a fairly "easy" fold and look to win pots without getting in 100bb pots with AKo, yet on the other hand, if we would consider ourselves an underdog against the remaining players or feel that were playing against players who have more experience than us, then i think calling is fine. 
    If you have any questions about what ive wrote, feel free to ask me privately, but as i said, i think your opening post needs to be a little more detailed and have some insight to opponent (if possible) as using all information available.
    last thing, with regards to someone just asigning our opponent 88-jj and ATs-AK.. How did u work this range out? I assume just based on the fact that our opponent would just 3bet with AA/KK/QQ right? I think this assumption is probably a bit too general, and that (once again) we need more information. Its fine having presumptions about peoples ranges, but them presumptions go out the window when were faced with such a unique situation (were not going to see a 3bet shove for 40bb that often).
    In summary, i would probably fold, but for you it may be that calling is fine.
    wp on making the final m8
  • edited December 2014
    thanks for all the replays interesting reading he had qq. i was left with 80k and busted there after. railtard thanks for u replaay i fell i had an edge over table apart from one. i got on final table with 300k and manged to win chips without showdown and fell u might be right. i dont think me edge was that big as there was anorther player with better sharkscope reslts not better roi. and of couse the beast that is solak. its just a very intersting spot. i dont no much about IcM and something i need to read up on. 
  • edited December 2014
    thanks for all the replays interesting reading he had qq. i was left with 80k and busted there after. railtard thanks for u replaay i fell i had an edge over table apart from one. i got on final table with 300k and manged to win chips without showdown and fell u might be right. i dont think me edge was that big as there was anorther player with better sharkscope reslts not better roi. and of couse the beast that is solak. its just a very intersting spot. i dont no much about ITM and something i need to read up on. 
    Posted by rspca12
    ITM is in the money, i assume what you mean is ICM, which is independent chip model. Yea its pretty important to undertsand. Its actually something that alot of people have a basic understanding of, without realising it. For example, if one guy had 1bb, and he is allin next hand, with a big pay jump, your likely to do everything you can to not bust before that opponent
  • edited December 2014
    ok got u il try to find some gd information on it online. thank u.
  • edited December 2014
    Think it's worth mentioning that immediately after this hand, some guy on the rail said ''BAD CALL'' in the chat box. He hadn't even played the comp and was promptly told he was out of line to chirp up with that. It inevitably led to a discussion regarding the hand.

I said in the CB at the time that it was a big call but not a bad call in the slightest.

The benefit of being stacked if we hit and thus having a very big stack in direct position of WeeSambo could be a factor, whilst simultaneously being able to put maximum pressure on Solack's stack.
  • edited December 2014
    Geez this is actually one of the more tougher spots i seen in this forum, i actually dont know what i'd do. I honestly think its just down to you, and how the tournament had been shaping up in the preveous 5-6 hours.

It depends on how confident you feel on that table, how many times has this guy been shoving, is there other shorties who might bust first? I dont think anyone can give you a definate answer by doing some maths, it just depends on how you comfortable you feel and if you think hes making a move with AQ/AJ. 

So yeah, i dont think there is a right/wrong answer - wp on getting that far, and ul on not shipping it.
  • edited December 2014
    Think it's worth mentioning that immediately after this hand, some guy on the rail said ''BAD CALL'' in the chat box. He hadn't even played the comp and was promptly told he was out of line to chirp up with that. It inevitably led to a discussion regarding the hand. I said in the CB at the time that it was a big call but not a bad call in the slightest. The benefit of being stacked if we hit and thus having a very big stack in direct position of WeeSambo could be a factor, whilst simultaneously being able to put maximum pressure on Solack's stack.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    I do find the bad call comment amusing! As others have mentioned it is a really interesting spot and you shouldn't be snap doing anything in this spot. Spots like these are ones you should analyse after and is really interesting which is why I sent it to a few people which luckily meant Marc came on provided some thoughts on it.
  • edited December 2014
    Thank mat and alex for the replay. very intesting spot also hhr yes that idiot in a chat box was bang out of order for what he said during the hand. But we move on and play anorher comp interesing reading the forum aspeical about the guy who talked about icm and the other one who talked about if i fell i have an edge etc. i had intesting reading about this last night.  
  • edited December 2014
    Thank mat and alex for the replay. very intesting spot also hhr yes that idiot in a chat box was bang out of order for what he said during the hand. But we move on and play anorher comp interesing reading the forum aspeical about the guy who talked about icm and the other one who talked about if i fell i have an edge etc. i had intesting reading about this last night.  
    Posted by rspca12

only just saw ur PM m8, ive just replied