You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Content of ch 861 show

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat
I am writing this thread just to give some feedback to the ch 861 scheduling of content. If this has been brought up before and I have missed it I apologise.

I have to say i'm biased as im a tournament player and not a cash player but I find the coverage of the cash tables a little samey, its usually a certain pool of players who are on them and if it was shown a day or a week behind it would not make it any less interesting to me. I enjoy the coverage of the main event, probably because i play them but I find it helpfull and interesting.

So Im not knocking the cash game coverage, there maybe more cash players than tournament players on sky who really enjoy it.

Under the old scheduling the hours were scheduled so I knew when the tournament coverage was on so i could tune in at that time and watch it and then turn off when the cash coverage was on, it worked for me.

Under the new system its more ad hoc and I never know when the change in coverage will happen. This has now caused me not to watch the live show as I don't want to sit through the bits I don't really enjoy to get to the bits I do enjoy, life's too short for that.

I would like to make it clear that I am not complaining, I enjoy the bits of the show i like and enjoy the poker expert's coverage and I like a lot of the guests you have in, especially when you had community players in like Tommy D and the Bromleys. This is just feedback to the shows planners to say I preferred the old style schedule..

I hope sky will welcome this opinion as feedback and read it as such, no offence intended.

Cheers

Ian

Comments

• edited December 2014
    +1
    Well put forward!
  • edited December 2014

Hi Ian,

Apologies for the late reply, only just seen this.

Great Post that, very constructive, & no, it's not seen as the usual "moany-woany" stuff.

You do make some fair points.

The "old" system was to break the show into 5 x 1 hour segments - that makes it easier to re-package & label them for later transmission as "repeats" in 1 hour segments.

The drawback with that is that it meant the Show was sort of handcuffed to 1 hour slots.

A good example would be, say, the Sunday Roller final table shown between 7pm & 8pm on Tuesday's Show. An hour just allows, really, for "knockout hands" & car crashes. 

On occasion, though, it's good to be able to show it in more depth - perhaps a really good Final, or, say, following Chris Moorman, Neil Channing, or a Community Regular who had a good Tourney. 

The 1 hour slots prohibited the ability to do that sort of thing.

The Tuesday Show (as was) is another example. Spending the last hour on the Turbo Tuesday late stages, being as it plays so shallow & fast, was just a series of all-ins, with not much "play".

The "ad-hoc" scheduling now also allows 861 to give more room & time to interesting Guests, without the need to rush them along.

It also saves the Presenter having to "top & tail" each hour, as they used to, as a top & tail was needed for the repeat, which was often shown independently of the whole 5 hour Show.

Note also that whilst we all enjoy playing, & watching, MTT's, for the sheer excitement, MTT's are not the largest format on Sky Poker, or any other site, for that matter. Industry-wide, & I doubt Sky Poker is much out of line, there is 4 times as much cash-game traffic as MTT traffic, so, for the Business, they really need to give those who prefer Cash some reasonable coverage.  

So they are some of the reasons for the change.

I hope that helps explain some of the logic. 

Every change prompts another change, some winners, some losers, & I agree with much of what you say.

It's just impossible to be all things to all men. If proof were ever needed of that axiom, just read the UKPOS Leaderboard thread - 10 pages, 200 Posts! It does not interest me one iota, but it certainly interests many, as we are all, glory be, different.

Thanks anyway Ian, & I hope you have a peaceful & healthy Xmas & New Year. Oh, & you win a few bob. ;)