You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Called with 9 high and won...

Ok so only a small pot..  each player has only invested 20 chips, and it checks down to the river..

I bet 45 chips on the button when it's checked to me, and villian calls with 9 high..

How on earth did he think he was good?

Hand History #850535941 (21:36 17/12/2014)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalancealiastraSmall blind 10.0010.001970.00RiptideBig blind 20.0030.001910.00 Your hole cards65   JimRiddle7Call 20.0050.002080.00banwen1Fold    WAOOGAFold    amerequusFold    aliastraCall 10.0060.001960.00RiptideCheck    Flop  210J   aliastraCheck    RiptideCheck    JimRiddle7Check    Turn  4   aliastraCheck    RiptideCheck    JimRiddle7Check    River  4   aliastraCheck    RiptideCheck    JimRiddle7Bet 45.00105.002035.00aliastraCall 45.00150.001915.00RiptideFold    JimRiddle7Show65   aliastraShow95   aliastraWinPair of 4s150.00 2065.00

Comments

• edited December 2014
    You really wanna look at your own play before commenting on others.

45 chips to have a look at your UTG limping in range maybe?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Called with 9 high and won...:
    You really wanna look at your own play before commenting on others. 45 chips to have a look at your UTG limping in range maybe?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    you beat me to it. 

villain was probably as surprised to win the hand as you were that he called with 9 high.
  • edited December 2014

As the others have said, he just wanted to pay the bargain price of 45 chips to see what your Button limping range was.

You really should be raising pre-flop in that spot, imo. Limping is SO bad.

Limping is to poker what Richard Orford is to TV. Dire.

• edited December 2014
    Limping here is bad, but as an aside there are formats where it is entirely appropriate.

I play hu hypers and limp at all depths v recreationals and regs.

There are depths where I dont have a minr range and limp the majority of hands. Again v regs or recs.

Infact if I meet a player who never limps I insta mark him and will not decline action or may even go out if my way to sit him. Hes either too tight or too aggressive - also its rare to find a good player who doesnt have a limping range.

Its a great strat from an exploitative point of view and also an optimal one. Its very likely that gto play under 20bb involves very little minraising and lots of limping, i've also noticed deepstacked nosebleed heads up players limping numerous buttons also.

But as basic, general advice it is bad ti limp. Just maybe not orford bad though, innit.

• edited December 2014
    Limping here is bad, but as an aside there are formats where it is entirely appropriate. I play hu hypers and limp at all depths v recreationals and regs. There are depths where I dont have a minr range and limp the majority of hands. Again v regs or recs. Infact if I meet a player who never limps I insta mark him and will not decline action or may even go out if my way to sit him. Hes either too tight or too aggressive - also its rare to find a good player who doesnt have a limping range. Its a great strat from an exploitative point of view and also an optimal one. Its very likely that gto play under 20bb involves very little minraising and lots of limping, i've also noticed deepstacked nosebleed heads up players limping numerous buttons also. But as basic, general advice it is bad ti limp. Just maybe not orford bad though, innit.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I'm glad you make that point, Teddy.

I must have made the "don't limp, it's bad" point thousands of times, though it's aimed mainly at newbies & recreational players.

But there ARE occasions when limping is optimal, & there is nothing wrong with doing it.

I have a "limping/peeling range" these days (it is very selective), in the early levels (NEVER later than Level 4), & every time I do so I get "called out" for limping contrary to my general advice. Marv.

In THIS case, as to the OP, it was wrong. He might get called pre, but his c-bet takes it down. So he wins (& wins more) rather than losing.

• edited December 2014
    Tbf when I first started playing play chip poker I would watch 865 and you banging on about never limping was a revelation.  For new players its tremendous advice and plugs so many leaks at source.
  • edited December 2014
    Tbf when I first started playing play chip poker I would watch 865 and you banging on about never limping was a revelation.  For new players its tremendous advice and plugs so many leaks at source.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Really? Oh wow.

Honestly, I'm made up that you wrote that.

On last night's Show, we were switching from £5 £10 cash (no limpers there, ever) to 5p-10p, where half the Table were limp/folding or limp/calling.

It's a simple message, but it needs repeating again & again.

Don't do it.

The sad thing is that yes, there are certain spots where it is correct, but only in the hands of an experienced player. I have a (very specific) limping range early doors in DYM's, & every time I do so, I get a hail of abuse in the chat box, lol, bless them.

I was lucky, in that I learned my lesson very early. I got very lucky to win my first ever Tourney, it was a tenner rebuy at Stanleys Derby. Easy game. 

I returned the next time, & guess what? I got heads up with a guy named Dave Ulliott. (Whatever happened to him?).

And very first hand HU I find the aces, & limp in, & he had 2-3. 

You can guess what happened. 

So I learned my lesson very early, & it hurt, it hurt a lot. We don't easily forget pain like that.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Called with 9 high and won... : Really? Oh wow. Honestly, I'm made up that you wrote that. On last night's Show, we were switching from £5 £10 cash (no limpers there, ever) to 5p-10p, where half the Table were limp/folding or limp/calling. It's a simple message, but it needs repeating again & again.   Don't do it. The sad thing is that yes, there are certain spots where it is correct, but only in the hands of an experienced player. I have a (very specific) limping range early doors in DYM's, & every time I do so, I get a hail of abuse in the chat box, lol, bless them.   I was lucky, in that I learned my lesson very early. I got very lucky to win my first ever Tourney, it was a tenner rebuy at Stanleys Derby. Easy game.  I returned the next time, & guess what? I got heads up with a guy named Dave Ulliott. (Whatever happened to him?). And very first hand HU I find the aces, & limp in, & he had 2-3.  You can guess what happened.  So I learned my lesson very early, & it hurt, it hurt a lot. We don't easily forget pain like that.    
    Posted by Tikay10
    Limping or raising this pot makes no difference to the outcome.  Raising on this site just increases varience because everybody calls.  I dont believe that he wasted 45 chips to see my hand..  I HAVE MY OWN THEORY.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Called with 9 high and won... : Limping or raising this pot makes no difference to the outcome.  Raising on this site just increases varience because everybody calls.  I dont believe that he wasted 45 chips to see my hand..  I HAVE MY OWN THEORY.
    Posted by JimRiddle7
    yes it does.  If you raise pre the bb doesn't call
  • edited December 2014
    Jim, why do you ask a question then totally dismiss everyones replies? I've read a few of your posts and see a trend developing. Why dont you stop asking for advice and start giving it instead seeing as though you seem to have an answer for everything.
  • edited December 2014
    jim your letting the loss affect your overall thinking m8 .i have been there before  i didnt enjoy my poker cause it affected how i played .  if i get a bad beat or if a donk beats me and i think i should have won the hand then i just come off the computer for  a smoke and try and remain positive knowing that in the long run ill win more than lose.
  • edited December 2014
    Ok, apart from the why were you in the hand in the first place(we will put that to one side) and why didn't you raise pre( also to one side) and all the other good advice given,here's a couple of other reasons apart from the one you have in mind ( which may or may not include robots and rigged) 1- he mis read his hand and thought he had a pair. 2- he plays on an iPad and he missed the fold button and clicked call by mistake 3 - he is playing more than 1 table on a pc and this table jumped to the front as his action was meant for the other table. Seriously you need to find another pastime if this is driving you mad. Good luck .
  • edited December 2014
    Ok, apart from the why were you in the hand in the first place(we will put that to one side) and why didn't you raise pre( also to one side) and all the other good advice given,here's a couple of other reasons apart from the one you have in mind ( which may or may not include robots and rigged) 1- he mis read his hand and thought he had a pair. 2- he plays on an iPad and he missed the fold button and clicked call by mistake 3 - he is playing more than 1 table on a pc and this table jumped to the front as his action was meant for the other table. Seriously you need to find another pastime if this is driving you mad. Good luck .
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Ok guys its driving me mad because of this...

Playing an aggressive player so limp with 99..

sure enough he min raises with A4..

i shove, he calls, flop is  9 4 A ???

it is NOT random..

Hand History #853868408 (23:42 26/12/2014)PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalanceRLT16Small blind 75.0075.001370.00wallace227Big blind 150.00225.004650.00 Your hole cardshttps://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="diamond">9
    https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/club.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="club">9   THEBRUCE13Fold    https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/hhdealer.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-color: transparent; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 100% 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="dealer">JimRiddle7Call 150.00375.001805.00RLT16Fold    wallace227Raise 150.00525.004500.00JimRiddle7All-in 1805.002330.000.00wallace227Call 1655.003985.002845.00wallace227Show   JimRiddle7Show
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/diamond.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="diamond">9
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/club.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="club">9
       Flop     Turn  
    • https://www.skypoker.com/img/site/spade.gif'); background-attachment: initial; background-color: #ffffff; background-origin: initial; background-clip: initial; background-position: 1px 100%; background-repeat: no-repeat" class="spade">J
       River     wallace227WinFlush to the Ace3985.00 6830.00
  • edited December 2014
    OK FOLD RAG A PRE FLOP BUT THEN AGAIN JIMMY KNOWS ALL