You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

PLO8 mtt F/T

edited December 2014 in The Poker Clinic
Pot committed?
Had to go with it?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
xxxx
Small blind   800.00 800.00 35157.56
VespaPX Big blind   1600.00 2400.00 22037.44
  Your hole cards
  • Q
  • A

Smithy29 Fold        
xxxx
Call   800.00 3200.00 34357.56
VespaPX Raise   3200.00 6400.00 18837.44
xxxx
Call   3200.00 9600.00 31157.56
Flop

• Q

xxxx
Check        
VespaPX Bet   9600.00 19200.00 9237.44
xxxx
Call   9600.00 28800.00 21557.56
Turn

xxxx
Check        
VespaPX All-in   9237.44 38037.44 0.00
xxxx
Call   9237.44 47274.88 12320.12
xxxx
Show

VespaPX Show
  • Q
  • A

River

• K

xxxx
Win high Flush to the King 47274.88   59595.00
  No qualifying low hand        

Comments

• edited December 2014
    As played you were pot comitted and had to go for it.

But here is n interesting thing for you to think about.

You have a drawing hand and it needs to flop big but you also want to be able to get all your chips over the line.
    Fortunately your opponent gave you that chance by limping. Being pot limit the bets are restricted, so 2bb then 6bb then 18bb. So all the time in the world to do it only having 14bb back. So i think the best way to proceed here is to take the cheap flop in position. You can pot the flop reassess the turn and make your decision on the river.

Though i have no real problems with your play here this way you can control the size of the pot and whether or not to get them in a lot easier

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: PLO8 mtt F/T:
    As played you were pot comitted and had to go for it.  But here is n interesting thing for you to think about. You have a drawing hand and it needs to flop big but you also want to be able to get all your chips over the line. Fortunately your opponent gave you that chance by limping. Being pot limit the bets are restricted, so 2bb then 6bb then 18bb. So all the time in the world to do it only having 14bb back. So i think the best way to proceed here is to take the cheap flop in position. You can pot the flop reassess the turn and make your decision on the river.  Though i have no real problems with your play here this way you can control the size of the pot and whether or not to get them in a lot easier
    Posted by Talon
    Cheers Talon
    Makes sense as usual
    Still getting the hang of these mtt's.
  • edited December 2014
    Can he check flop here talon and hope to get to showdown?

He needs to dodge half the deck and can gain an advantage by seeing a turn and villains response.

Deeper id imagine checking flop would be bette as it lkmits the number of bets we can  face with a single pair hand, but at this depth im not sure.

He could fold to a PSB on turn or river here and be comfortable doing so, but doesnt have enough back now maybe?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: PLO8 mtt F/T:
    Can he check flop here talon and hope to get to showdown? He needs to dodge half the deck and can gain an advantage by seeing a turn and villains response. Deeper id imagine checking flop would be bette as it lkmits the number of bets we can  face with a single pair hand, but at this depth im not sure. He could fold to a PSB on turn or river here and be comfortable doing so, but doesnt have enough back now maybe?
    Posted by TeddyBloat
     I think checking the flop would be the worst possible action here. The hand has showdown potential at this point and most importantly the betting lead and position. A smaller bet on the flop would have been called and this would give us the chance get to the river before making final decision. By checking would leave opponent to start asking the questions and make it more expensive to get to the end of the hand.

So maybe a half pot bet on the flop. Turn check and river fold in this situation. That bet would leave enough behind to bet pot but not committ to the hand
  • edited December 2014
    I think with our hand a pot bet OTF is clearly best. We have the nut low draw and a decent chance of currently holding the best high hand but that could easily change on turn/river. Thus we really don't want to be playing this hand over 3 streets.

I don't play much PLO8 at all though so I don't know for sure. Pre-flop I'm unsure what's best too. Raising seems fine given we are IP but if we were OOP I'm not too sure. A lot of flops that we don't really like and are quite hard to play.
  • edited December 2014

I think you played it fine, Mick.

I'm same as you here, pot it pre, then pot the flop. Cracking flop for our hand, too.

We are being a bit results orientated here, too - Villain CHECKED the flop, & we bet. So he may well have folded when we potted the flop, & that should be part of our thinking. More often that not we force a fold here.

I think you played it perfectly.

It matters not, of course, but Villain's pre-flop call with 5-7-7-8 was, shall we say, imaginative. His hand ranks around 3,000 of 5,000. The flop was as good as it gets for him though, an abso dream, so as played, he did right to check call.

Your hand pre-flop is a top 100 hand.

Blinds 800-1,600, so I am assuming this is quite deep in the Tourney, & we have about 15 Bigs. If we are not going to commit with this hand, we should not be playing PLO8, you gotta be happy to get it all-in here if you can.

We can get away from a really bad flop, but the flop was very good, it gave us nut low draw, top pair, & drawing to 2 pair or trips. 

The best hand & best play does not always win, but we should persist with playing correctly.