You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Horse Racing Advice/ Q&A with Neil Channing

edited September 2015 in Betting Chat
Hi all, 

This thread is going to be a bit of a discussion with Mr Channing about the best ways to get into horse betting on a limited bankroll. 

Neil has kindly agreed to spare some time to give some advice, I have spoken with him on twitter, and this is legit. I am not here to start a random spam thread/click bait just using his name. 

I come from a fairly solid online poker background, and understand BRM well, my curiousity into horse betting has been around for years, and more so recently after learning a lot from a work colleague about reading form, and as a result I have some OK results. 

My main questions for Neil are: 

How can you/is it possible to apply simialr BRM from poker, to horse betting? 

What are the best bets to be making with a limited BR, in order to grow it quickly? 

I tend to do lucky 15/30/60s etc etc but find them really frustrating as I will often pick some decent winners at longer odds such as 8/1 or 9/1 then have the rest of the slip miss and end up breaking even or taking a small loss. Then I end up feeling like I would have been better off just placing small bets on a few individual horses for the day. I guess a lot of this is going to be recall bias and my brain thinking in a bit too short terms results oriented way.

So yea, any thoughts and advice from Mr Channing is going to be invaluable, and thanks in advance for sparing the time mate. 

Comments

• edited December 2014
    I am sure Neil will give you advice but just on one of your points which I have tried to help people on here before, ie Bookmaker bets such as Lucky 15's etc.

Anytime the bookies appear to make it easier for you with printed betting slips where you have to just put in horses names is pushed towards making the bookies more money. 

It is hard enough to pick one winner so why oh why would you put the same stake on four horses to win as you would one!

No problem with multiple bets but please alter your staking plan from Lucky anything, they usually aren't

My advice instead of a Lucky fifteen 15 x say 3 points each would be to have
    five point singles.
    three point doubles
    two point trebles
     one point four folds.

This way you should be able to make a nice profit on the bet even if you only get one or two winners. If you get all four thank your lucky stars and take the big profits.
  • ommomm
    edited December 2014
    Great advice Father, nothing wrong with doing the odd Acca for small stakes (usually a good way to keep the online accounts healthy) however I'm pretty sure most serious bettors will usually just have Single bets as their main betting activity. As stated its hard enough to find one winner and the more you double and treble up the more the advantage moves towards the bookie. 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Horse Racing Advice/ Q&A with Neil Channing:
    I am sure Neil will give you advice but just on one of your points which I have tried to help people on here before, ie Bookmaker bets such as Lucky 15's etc. Anytime the bookies appear to make it easier for you with printed betting slips where you have to just put in horses names is pushed towards making the bookies more money.  It is hard enough to pick one winner so why oh why would you put the same stake on four horses to win as you would one! No problem with multiple bets but please alter your staking plan from Lucky anything, they usually aren't . My advice instead of a Lucky fifteen 15 x say 3 points each would be to have five point singles. three point doubles two point trebles  one point four folds. This way you should be able to make a nice profit on the bet even if you only get one or two winners. If you get all four thank your lucky stars and take the big profits.
    Posted by vaigret
    +1
    My favourite bet is a patent:
    3 selections= 3 Singles @3 pts each
                           3 doubles @ 2pts each
                           1 treble @ 1pt
    If the odds are more than 4/1 do all the bets e/w
  • edited December 2014
    Great stuff thanks guys. I think I swayed early on by the lucky 15/30 type bets after binking a few for a few hundred quid. Since then it's been frustrating. A few weeks ago ( i can't remember the date, I will check my notes when I get home later) I picked 8 winners and 3 places over a days racing and due to how I setup my slips I took a loss on the day.... Some of those winners being 8/1 or better :/ 

• edited December 2014
    Great stuff thanks guys. I think I swayed early on by the lucky 15/30 type bets after binking a few for a few hundred quid. Since then it's been frustrating. A few weeks ago ( i can't remember the date, I will check my notes when I get home later) I picked 8 winners and 3 places over a days racing and due to how I setup my slips I took a loss on the day.... Some of those winners being 8/1 or better :/ 
    Posted by dj_triptek
    No problem mate,

As to getiing loads of winners and not making much, we can all put the wrong horses in the wrong multiples. I can nearly always bet that if I do three trebles I will get one winner in each rather than three in one.

Its called SO DS LAW
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Horse Racing Advice/ Q&A with Neil Channing : No problem mate, As to getiing loads of winners and not making much, we can all put the wrong horses in the wrong multiples. I can nearly always bet that if I do three trebles I will get one winner in each rather than three in one. Its called SO DS LAW
    Posted by vaigret
     I'm not ignoring this post by the way, I'm away at the moment and the internet is sketchy at best, have a lot of stuff to catch-up with when I get home.

I'm also not the only person that can have a good input on your question so hopefully others will contribute.
  • edited December 2014
    why not do lucky 15 u get treble the odds on 1 winner so   1 winner at 5/1 u get ya money back ?
  • edited December 2014
    why not do lucky 15 u get treble the odds on 1 winner so   1 winner at 5/1 u get ya money back ?
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    exactly the idea is to win money not hope you only have one winner to get bonus and your money back. If you only looking to get £15 from one 5-1 winner have £3 on it in a single.
  • edited December 2014
    The main reason why betting in any kind of multi (even doubles) is harder is because you're betting into an over round (say 2% per runner) and with each subsequent bet you're compunding that problem. This means that even if you land a treble or 4-fold you're getting a price that is way short of the true odds - this means that you will almost certainly lose long term and if you're winning then your edge is being eroded a lot.

Furthermore, for each losing selection, you lose 50% +1 of the bets, thats a lot of £x to be giving away over the months and years!!

Using the example above of 5/1 shots in Lucky 15s :

There is an ~84% chance that you will lose half your bets + 1 with this method (at the 1st hurdle - pardon the pun)

You also mentioned BOG - this (and other concessions) will be taken away if you somehow end up winning!
  • edited December 2014
    My question to Neil/anyone else is this:

I use stats to make my own "tissue" in side markets in other sports such as football but I find it much harder in horse racing and usually end up using my own intuition (I think the industry term is GUESSING :'( )

Do you have any advice on compiling tissue prices, given the sheer number of variables in horse racing and how long should you spend on each race?

Thanks!!
  • edited January 2015
    HI all, 

Thanks for the feedback so far. Sorry I haven't been active, it's been a busy xmas period combined with some unfortunate family illness stuff to deal with. 

Hope you all had a good holiday period. 

I've done very little betting unfortunately (even missed boxing day!)

The only bets I placed were yesterday on a double (I've decided to stop trying to pick tons of horses and just focus on 2-3 and do doubles or trixies/patents) 

A late in the day purchse of the post left me with only a couple of races left, and I settled on:

Cultram Abbey - 15:10 Ayr
    Foryourinformation 15:20 Ffos Las

Ended up getting 10/1 on my stake, so that was nice. 

Getting back to my OP slightly, could someone run through the basics of doing a 100 point book or how to manage a banroll for horse betting. I've been looking online and can't seem to find much. 

I've had a few people tell me that if you do a book then you NEED to be assigning all the points in that book to bets on a given day/meet. Is this true at all? 
    Or can you just use the points as and when you want with no need to bet the entire 100 points every meet/day?

I guess I'm still trying to make it work like a poker BR, which would mean I'd need to settle on a certain bet type/BI then set aside an amount of buyins for that stake. 

Also is there any preffered software/spreadsheets etc to track ones bets. I have a really basic and not terribly effective XL doc right now. 

Apologies for the probably rather basic and poorly worded questions! 

• edited January 2015
    Also something I thought of over the holidays was if anyone would be interested in helping me do a sort of horse betting bankroll challenge. 

Starting with a small amount like £10 and seeing how we can run it up just making small bets, I was thinking it could be a totally open thing in this thread, or maybe start a new one, so everyone can see the thought process' and discuss what the best lines to take are. 

Would this be of any interest to anyone? 

Also for anyone that's interested, here are my picks for today (saturday 3rd)

12:40 Sandown - Dark Spirit (7/1) 
    1:15 Sandown - Golanova (6/1)
    150 Sandown - DanceFloorKing (6/1) 

I put these 3 on an EW Patent. After reading up on the differences this seemed better than a trixie as it covers more options. Was I correct to do this? Are there arguments for selecting a different bet type? 

Cheers 
  • edited January 2015
     Finally got round to answering some of these. They are great questions so thanks for posting them. The other replies here are great too, lots of really valuable advice that's worth money.

Let me start with your first question.

I absolutely think Bank Roll Management that you should use in poker is equally important in sports betting or horses. In poker tournaments people sometimes say that 3% to 5% of your total poker bankroll should be the most you spend on one tournament. I think that is a good guideline. If your "poker bankroll" is every penny you have in the world you might err towards 2% or 3% and if you have a nice amount that you keep separate and a good source o income to replenish if things go badly then you can be more aggressive.

With horses, if you like to bet on big handicaps where your selections have an average price of 7/1 or more then you might think 5% of your bankroll on each bet is OK, if you bet lots of 10/11 chances (maybe football overs and unders) then you can be way more aggressive.

If a large proportion of your bets are "longshot" multiples then each bet should be a tiny proportion of the bankroll.

On multiples everyone else has covered it. They are often terrible bets. If you have a -ev bet and then put it in a multiple with some other -ev bets then you are making the negative expectation on that bet much worse. If you do manage to find several +ev bets and put them together you will increase your variance but massively increase your positive expectation. The problem is there will be very few days that you find three or four really good +ev bets and when you do it could take 200 attempts for the "long-run" to come through. It's a bit like playing poker tournaments, you should always expect to lose and you need to be mentally strong to cope with the swings.

In general multiples are bad bets that can be good.
  • edited February 2015

get on douvan and faugheen 5/1double

• edited September 2015
    Hi all, 

Right I'm back again. 

It's been a pretty terrible year for gambling all round, the family illness mentioned in an earlier post, turned into a rather unexpected and sudden family death. Which as you can imagine has left me in bits for most of the year and has meant I've done very little betting and absolutely no poker grinding. 

But my head is back in the game and I'm keen to get back on learning as much as possible during the upcoming jumps season. 

Thankyou for your reply Neil, it's some useful guidelines for BRM. 

My poker roll is totally seperate from my life roll, I grind 6m turbo SnGs (or did!) quite heavily and realised very quickly it makes the mental aspect of swings a lot easier to deal with. Unfortunately my horse racing tends to come from deposits now and again, as I've not been able to string together enough results to build a roll the same way I was able to with Poker. 

One thing I feel that helped me a lot with poker was having reliable methods of tracking and reviewing results and replaying hands with ICM tools etc. What would you recommend for the best/cheapest horse trackers and or any useful online resources for upping the learning curve? Again coming from the poekr background where there's a wealth of caoching sites and stakers/coaches such as I've worked with in the past, I'm keen try try and replicate that learning system. 

Cheers 

Ben  
  • edited September 2015
    Also something happened with my account on here, hence the slightly different screen name now! 
  • edited September 2015
    In Response to Re: Horse Racing Advice/ Q&A with Neil Channing : +1 My favourite bet is a patent: 3 selections= 3 Singles @3 pts each                        3 doubles @ 2pts each                        1 treble @ 1pt If the odds are more than 4/1 do all the bets e/w
    Posted by wynne1938

patents & lucky 15 are my bets too as i only bet for fun and watch on telly they do work i opened my 1st internet account in nov 2010 with pp £10&£10 free bet and not deposited since only withdrawn

• edited September 2015
    I guess the main thing I would like to improve is the general thought process and decision making. I feel I'm doing some stuff right, but obviously missing a lot otherwise my results would be be better. Practice doesn't make perfect, if you keeping making the same mistakes! 

How important are things like breeding when making selections? It's something I know little, to nothing about and seems to be a key thing, although more so in flat racing and maidens, both of which I tend to avoid! So any advice or a good starting point would be great. 

How important are things like yard form and other slightly less obvious bits of info. 

What would be a rough step by step thought process to apporach selections look like? 

I was listening to an ATR Final Furlong podcast earlier Neil and you said your avg bet is around 7/1, so obviously you look aay from FAVs in general (with racing anyway) so what are you looking for that leads you to those selections away from the top of the market? 

Cheers 

Ben 

• edited September 2015
    Watch the races !! Its no mystery if you look and watch races as they happen or after the event online or atr/ruk. You will always get a different opinion on whether a horse has trouble in running or didn't like the going! AND CAPITAL LETTERS! if you make a decision about a horse and some so called expert differs dont worry, its all about opinions.

For example, today i backed Argaki in the 1.50 at Ayr at sp of 10/1 yet the horse has course and distance wins and the trainer is local and loves winning at his local track!If it was a bigger stable it would or should have been about 5/1. Sometimes you can read a review of a race from the "pro" press and you wonder if they saw the same race.

Good luck with your bets,

Cheers 

Dave.
  • edited September 2015
    Watch the races !! Its no mystery if you look and watch races as they happen or after the event online or atr/ruk. You will always get a different opinion on whether a horse has trouble in running or didn't like the going! AND CAPITAL LETTERS! if you make a decision about a horse and some so called expert differs dont worry, its all about opinions.

For example, today i backed Argaki in the 1.50 at Ayr at sp of 10/1 yet the horse has course and distance wins and the trainer is local and loves winning at his local track!If it was a bigger stable it would or should have been about 5/1. Sometimes you can read a review of a race from the "pro" press and you wonder if they saw the same race.

Good luck with your bets,

Cheers 

Dave.
  • edited September 2015
    Cheers Dave. 

I do try and listen to as much racing as possible, I'm fortunate enough to be able to have Will HIll radio on at work most days, even when not betting I still tend to listen to pretty much every race as I enjoy listening to the analysis and chat between pundits. 

I don't have an ATR/RUK membership yet to use the replayer, I have been looking at the RP memberships as it seems to include a lot of features and I prefer the RP website to ATR it just feels nicer to use. Is there any big differences between ATR/RP/RUK that I should be aware of before deciding what one to sign up to.

Cheers 

Ben