You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Waiting lists

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat

Something to get your thoughts on please....

Waiting lists on cash games, specifically:

- Should waiting lists exist?
- Should they be based on 'first come first seved'?, or if not...
- Should they be based on some other criteria? Any ideas?

Be interesting to get people's thoughts and have a construtive discsussion on this.

FWIW - we're not currently looking at changing this in the short-term (in case you were wondering) but at the same time we wouldn't rule out making changes too. Especially if people thought the current system didn't work.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited December 2014

The waiting list should be re-arranged so that the fewer tables you are currently playing, the higher up the list you go.

Also – as an aside – DTM should not be allowed to play more than 64 tables at once. He takes up at least a fifth of the entire site’s bandwidth.

• edited December 2014
    Yes, yes, no. 

Waiting lists should exist because, with the exception of those with dual monitors, if you're starting a session and haven't loaded up the no of tables you usually play then it becomes hard to try and concentrate on your current tables whilst looking for a table that only has 5/6 players. Also if you are a 1 or 2 tabling REC and see tables with 5/6 players, are you really going to want to watch the lobby and try and frantically click open a table that drops to 5 players? It would just be incredibly frustrating for REC's and REG's alike IMO.

Yes based on first come first served - no idea how else you might do it? Actually, thinking about it maybe it could be changed to bump someone up in the pecking order of a waiting list depending on how many tables they are currently playing? eg. Suppose X player was sat on 4 tables waiting at X blind level. But they have 2 tables loaded at that blind level already. Then a REC joins a waiting list with X player on. That REC overtakes X on that waiting list. 

I guess the only problem with waiting lists is it potentially encourages less volume since lots of ppl (myself included) don't like starting tables - for some people it's because they don't like HU/short handed (esp vs another REG) - for me, it's because whenever I do try and start a table it seems to take an eternity for someone to join. And it just clogs up my screen if I have an open table that I'm not playing on - plus if 1 person does join and I'm already playing 3 other tables I don't really want to play HU since decisions are made much quicker in HU and I lose focus from the other tables. Having a waiting list means you don't really need to start tables since most of the time it doesn't take too long for you to be able to join a table that you're on the waiting list for.

Maybe 1 idea to increase tables and decrease waiting list time (as well as decrease bum-hunting) could be to automatically open a new table if 4 unique players are on the waiting list of 1 particular blind level. Those 4 players would then be able to sit at that table. If anyone refuses and doesn't sit then they go to the bottom of the waiting list. I don't know how this would be fully implemented but seems like it'd be a cool idea!
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Waiting lists:
    Yes, yes, no.  Waiting lists should exist because, with the exception of those with dual monitors, if you're starting a session and haven't loaded up the no of tables you usually play then it becomes hard to try and concentrate on your current tables whilst looking for a table that only has 5/6 players. Also if you are a 1 or 2 tabling REC and see tables with 5/6 players, are you really going to want to watch the lobby and try and frantically click open a table that drops to 5 players? It would just be incredibly frustrating for REC's and REG's alike IMO. Yes based on first come first served - no idea how else you might do it? Actually, thinking about it maybe it could be changed to bump someone up in the pecking order of a waiting list depending on how many tables they are currently playing? eg. Suppose X player was sat on 4 tables waiting at X blind level. But they have 2 tables loaded at that blind level already. Then a REC joins a waiting list with X player on. That REC overtakes X on that waiting list.  I guess the only problem with waiting lists is it potentially encourages less volume since lots of ppl (myself included) don't like starting tables - for some people it's because they don't like HU/short handed (esp vs another REG) - for me, it's because whenever I do try and start a table it seems to take an eternity for someone to join. And it just clogs up my screen if I have an open table that I'm not playing on - plus if 1 person does join and I'm already playing 3 other tables I don't really want to play HU since decisions are made much quicker in HU and I lose focus from the other tables. Having a waiting list means you don't really need to start tables since most of the time it doesn't take too long for you to be able to join a table that you're on the waiting list for. Maybe 1 idea to increase tables and decrease waiting list time (as well as decrease bum-hunting) could be to automatically open a new table if 4 unique players are on the waiting list of 1 particular blind level. Those 4 players would then be able to sit at that table. If anyone refuses and doesn't sit then they go to the bottom of the waiting list. I don't know how this would be fully implemented but seems like it'd be a cool idea!
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Thin ;)

Yeah we need waiting lists. The waiting lists at the highest stakes on the site always amuse me when the 'table value' gets stacked, and they disappear quicker than my balls in this weather.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Waiting lists : Thin ;) Yeah we need waiting lists. The waiting lists at the highest stakes on the site always amuse me when the 'table value' gets stacked, and they disappear quicker than my balls in this weather.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    +1 to this ......was watchin £5/10 earlier today only 1 table open with 5 waiting to join it had to lol to myself.
  • edited December 2014
    Keep waiting lists, but maybe add the "table starter" function
  • edited December 2014

Thanks, some interesting thoughts and ideas.
  • edited December 2014
    An interesting question which should cuase some debate.
    My own view is there should be a waiting list, but it should be for a level not a table. So if you want to play 10p/20p
    then you join a 10p/20p waiting list and it joins you at the first available seat at that level. I would have it that you cannot join a specific table but join the list and it sits you. Having said that I would also like to see the option of setting up a private table so say half a dozen friends could have a laugh together. Also of cause it would automatically open up a new table when there are 4 or 5 players on the list not two like some sites do.
  • edited December 2014
    An interesting question which should cuase some debate. My own view is there should be a waiting list, but it should be for a level not a table. So if you want to play 10p/20p then you join a 10p/20p waiting list and it joins you at the first available seat at that level. I would have it that you cannot join a specific table but join the list and it sits you. Having said that I would also like to see the option of setting up a private table so say half a dozen friends could have a laugh together. Also of cause it would automatically open up a new table when there are 4 or 5 players on the list not two like some sites do.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    What would you do if someone got put on a table and refused to play?
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Waiting lists : What would you do if someone got put on a table and refused to play?
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    Sir-Gary's idea is sort of similar to mine and I guess if someone refused to play a particular table then they move to the bottom of the waiting list. 

My only slight problem with Gary's idea is that it might take a while for you to get to the number of tables you want and would be annoying to keep on entering the waiting list after joining a table (perhaps an option to tick box when joining a table to continue being on the waiting list for that level?)
  • edited December 2014
    The waiting list should be re-arranged so that the fewer tables you are currently playing, the higher up the list you go.   Also – as an aside – DTM should not be allowed to play more than 64 tables at once. He takes up at least a fifth of the entire site’s bandwidth.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Easy dollar for you all.  I'm sure the waiting list increases as soon as I sit.
  • edited December 2014
    An interesting question which should cuase some debate. My own view is there should be a waiting list, but it should be for a level not a table. So if you want to play 10p/20p then you join a 10p/20p waiting list and it joins you at the first available seat at that level. I would have it that you cannot join a specific table but join the list and it sits you. Having said that I would also like to see the option of setting up a private table so say half a dozen friends could have a laugh together. Also of cause it would automatically open up a new table when there are 4 or 5 players on the list not two like some sites do.
    Posted by Sir-Gary

this would cause havoc to the few people who sit on multiple HU tables waiting for a fish to arrive. nice one :)