You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Leagues & Challenges, 2015

edited December 2014 in Poker Chat

Have you noticed how much interest the Community Leagues & Challenges generate? 

A few examples. 

There was a thread to DISCUSS a UKOPS Challenge(not the Challenge, just discussing it). It ran to x pages & x Posts.   

Aussie stuck up some “Historical Data” in a League based format. Only a relatively small number of names were included, but the replies totalled 226 posts over 13 pages in double quick time.  

We have the League Based DTD every week, of course, the grand-daddy of all leagues. 

PokerTrev does one, too.  

Recently, Macacgirl organised, with Geraldirl,  a “100 game” DYM challenge. No prizes, & it allowed players at all buy-in levels to compete on a reasonably fair basis. No prizes - & yet it caused IMMENSE interest, & the thread ran to (still is, actually) 895 posts. The Bragging Rights were monsta.

Then there is the DYM Laddering Challenge – an astonishing 1,583 Posts, & counting.  

There are many other examples, too.  

I really don’t want to upset the applecart & destroy any existing challenges. 

But…… If you have any idea for any Challenges for 2015 – they can be MTT, SNG/DYM or cash-based (though cash-based is difficult) – please Post your ideas. 

These would be run by Community volunteers, NOT The Business.  

Prizes?

Well I’m sure I could persuade the Suits to come up with a little bit of money, or some Free Entries, but do we really need Prizes? Bragging Rights count for a lot, witness the incredible interest, & fun, the PLO8 DYM challenge aroused, & there were no Prizes for that. Open to ideas on that.

I know I could get some prizes, (Tourney Entries), but maybe we could just have weekly "Spot Prizes", plenty of them, for special performances or whatever by someone.

Or even award nothing for many months, & "save up" the acrrued budget & prizes & end up with a really big prize for someone, a UKPC seat or something?

The prob with Prizes is that people get, maybe, a tad too serious. It's just an idea to have a little fun.  

Anyway, let’s talk about it. 

Over to you.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    I have always thought leaving a cash table with ten times the maximum buy-in was impressive... and not easy.

I reached £380 on a 10p/20p Mastercash table once... so nearly.
  • edited December 2014
    I have a Monday night DTD based challenge to potentially last all next year.

Basically, I have until the end of 2015 to win all 3 tournaments in a single night. Insanely difficult, I know! Though I am (extremely quietly) confident it can be done. I'm currently the only person to win 2/3 in one night, and a couple of weeks ago I got a 9th, 9th and 8th. It's gonna require bags of run good and a pinch of skill, but I have 52 attempts to get it right.

The forfeit, if I remember correctly as said in the Forum DTD Facebook group, was that I'd give 20x the DTD buy in (20x £5.50....£110) to charity at the back end of 2015 assuming I can't score 3 points. Think I'd like to change this though.....I reckon after every failed week I give £5.50 to a charity of someone's choice. Means my liability is potentially much more, and nice to give little sums weekly to various deserving causes.

Will start a thread closer to 2015 to kick things off.
  • edited December 2014
    @Tikay I know the suits were looking for something to "replace" the top of the posts thread - how about rewards for challenge/league performers of the month? Maybe a SNG like top of the posts used to have with top performers put in - maybe one/some of the challenge/league organisers get a seat too to reward their time and efforts without which none of these would happen?

@Slip you could have a table of x10 BI spinups at each level - great bragging rights for the 1st to do it at each level and then have a max no of BIs to keep the interest going once a few have done it. Suspect there are a few MT grinders who manage x10 pretty regularly but for us recs would be a good incentive to keep going. 

@hhyftrftdr GL sounds a tough one.

Personally I would love to see a 6max challenge - best ROI over 100 consecutive entries anyone? Doable at all entry levels.
  • edited December 2014
    If you want to generate a bit of friendly competition, just start a thread. I'm sure plenty would join your ROI-based comp Phantom.  Where players aren't serious FT grinders and just play recreationally, these little games just add a bit of interest and help keep it fun.

There are still unclaimed prizes for the mastercash spin-up btw.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Leagues & Challenges, 2015:
    If you want to generate a bit of friendly competition, just start a thread. I'm sure plenty would join your ROI-based comp Phantom.  Where players aren't serious FT grinders and just play recreationally, these little games just add a bit of interest and help keep it fun. There are still unclaimed prizes for the mastercash spin-up btw.
    Posted by bbMike
    I got to NL100 but then there was never a seat free for me. Players running scared if you ask me, mate ;)

Default winner?

• edited December 2014
    How about an MTT challenge.
     covering the three formats Sky support
    Omaha--- Omaha plo8--- Holdem

First person to win a tournament in all 3 formats
    wins a weekly or monthly prize
    buy in at any level, so all could have a go.
  • edited December 2014
    How about an MTT challenge.  covering the three formats Sky support Omaha--- Omaha plo8--- Holdem  First person to win a tournament in all 3 formats wins a weekly or monthly prize buy in at any level, so all could have a go.
    Posted by ajmilton
    I like that one.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Leagues & Challenges, 2015 : I got to NL100 but then there was never a seat free for me. Players running scared if you ask me, mate ;) Default winner?
    Posted by Slipwater
    You were too Chicken!! :P
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Leagues & Challenges, 2015 : You were too Chicken!! :P
    Posted by mrsduck
    You and me. 

Hedsup4rollz.

Now.

;)
  • edited December 2014
    How about a DYMS streak monthly thingy

All levels can then be included and all types of games. 

• edited December 2014

Now we are cooking.

Keep them coming, please.
  • edited December 2014
    My own personal challenge for 2015 is to make top 20 of the SS leaderboard for Sky MTTs. I'm gonna be switching a lot of my night time volume over to MTTs in the new year so seems like an apt challenge to give myself.
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Leagues & Challenges, 2015 : You and me.  Hedsup4rollz. Now. ;)
    Posted by Slipwater
    I only have £8.21 at the mo!
    Maybe next year :) 
    Merry Xmas Slip!
    xx
  • edited December 2014
    As an infrequent (but I do pull my weight a bit for TPT!!) DTD player I love the spirit of competition across the 3 tourneys, and I think the scoring system is brilliant, gives added value if you bust early in one.

Now whilst there is the main/mini jackpot thingy ( I was sooooo close a few months ago- thin brag ) what about some kind of DTD style set of tournaments every night or every other night? E.G. 3 nominated tournaments where the lowest 2 scores win a prize? Monday is DTD. Wednesday is 3 £5.50 tourneys and Friday is 3 £11 tourneys. I appreciated the variables are endless, you could pick whatever arrangement of tourneys/buy ins people thought were best. Its just my personal feeling that the DTD set up is very good and very rewarding with a pinch of added value.
  • edited December 2014
    Great thread! Obviously Im in favour of dym challenges. The sit and go challenge was great but dym players were never gonna feature.

So perhaps prizes for win streak and itm % over every x games played. I think its important not to discourage people from continuing to play which was a flaw in previous promotions. So if x games is 50 or 100 and you play more than this amount your then on your second entry - increasing rake for sky.

So similar to macac's recent challenge I suggest the following...

Competition to run for a calendar month.
    Every 50 consecutive games register a score.
    Score based on itm % for every 50 games.
    Tier the prizes into groups based on buy in......(50p,£1 in category C, £2 and £3 in category Band £5 and £11 in category A) 
    Keep the prizes modest to avoid collusion.
    Perhaps after 6 months each monthly winner goes through to grand final for each category (3 grand finals) to play on tv in a once off sit and go game. 

Ger
  • edited December 2014

Heads Up. MTT League maybe based on the nightly HU Shuffle

After the SKY World Cup earlier this year it is obvious that there is a lot of interest in Heads Up Competitions. It was a great comp and we all thoroughly enjoyed it. (Besides the colluding problems)

The community has tried to organise HU comps some have succeeded and some have failed as they were left to players organising their own individual games which is not easy.

My idea is for a HU Multi table Tournament League for the community.

We could base this on the existing twice nightly ‘HU Shuffle’. That does not shuffle by the way! It is a knockout to the final 2

I would suggest that a forum thread is started for players interested and to register in a similar way as the Monday DTD and Friday Orfordable.

Then assign a particular night for registered players to register in the HU Shuffle and work  out  a league scoring basis in a similar way that I do for the DTD and the Orfordable.

It would be very difficult for collusion in the proposed format but enable HU players to play against other quality experienced players to progress their HU playing skills.

Also would it be possible to set up a HU MTT with password entry or would we need to use the existing HU Shuffle and accept that random players would join, which TBH is not a big problem.

I would run this no problem :)

• edited December 2014
    My suggestion would be a monthly main/mini leaderboard challenge-as someone who only started playing regularly on here halfway through the year, the current annual one (tho v good) was never going to be a realistic goal. Anyone can run hot for a month....
  • edited December 2014
    could it be worth having a section on the forum purely for leagues/challenges?
  • edited December 2014

I am not ignoring these replies, just think it's better to wait until we have all the suggestions.

There are some great ideas here, too, thanks.

I had originally thought that Jan 1st might be a good time to start these, but as it happens, something else along the same lines might just be coming from Sky Poker in the next day or two, so maybe the stuff in this therad might be delayed by a few weeks, as I don't want to cut across that.  

• edited December 2014
    In Response to Re: Leagues & Challenges, 2015 : I like that one.
    Posted by Slipwater
    I am also liking this , the old kiss theory applies here.,I tend to lose interest when it gets too complicated.
  • edited December 2014

I quite like the idea of a weekly mini league. Could use Slipwaters scoring system with the winner each week winning a main event seat and 2nd, 3rd winning a free mini seat?

I appreciate this would require a lot of admin, but perhaps as slip already does a points table it might be something that could happen? Slip?? Or anybody?

People could post every Monday to enter and it would cater for all/most bankrolls.

I dunno, thoughts?