You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

HUDs

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
OK, so I've recently got a new laptop which means I can now download software and play other sites apart from Sky. Then I remembered one of the reason I've only ever really played on sky and it's so called no HUD policy.

However, a quick google search and I was able to find something called SkyHUD...no idea how legit it is and if it works or not. I did notice a REG actually posted a reply on there too (although I don't think I've come across them in a while)

I was also reading a thread on 2+2 regarding HUD's. One person said: "But you realize that sites and regulators have no ability to ban HUDs, don't you?

I'm a software engineer, as soon as your poker software makes a hand history available to a player, I can write software that will run on any operating system to stuff the hand in a database and display statistics from that database on screen."

I can't imagine the Sky software is so advanced as to make it completely impossible to code a HUD... so is it just that they're banned and anyone found using them is deemed cheating? But then this guy also claimed that he could create one that was undetectable easily enough. 

Also, why is it that Sky rightly don't allow HUD's yet mention it on 2+2 or to any poker player that relies on a HUD every day and it's slammed down as completely ridiculous to ban HUD's? 

Sorry for the rambled post/rant!! Just hoping someone could shed some light on this!! No doubt Sky won't be able to comment though on any procedures they use to detect HUD's... so guess we just got to trust them that they can detect any HUD use and ban any person using it.

Comments

• edited December 2014
    The HUD was made by a reg a couple of years ago.  Sky stopped it from working within 24 hours.

Pretty confident that no one will be able to make a HUD working on Sky now, unless Sky changed their policy and actively allowed them, which they won't.

• edited December 2014
    In Response to HUDs:
    OK, so I've recently got a new laptop which means I can now download software and play other sites apart from Sky. Then I remembered one of the reason I've only ever really played on sky and it's so called no HUD policy.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Why so anti-huds Ivan?

I can understand why people would prefer them not to exist, but it seems OTT to avoid sites just because of them especially if you play tournaments. 

Download the software and use the 30 day free trial to play abit, see how you get on. I have a feeling you might enjoy yourself over on the darkside ! 
  • edited December 2014
    In Response to HUDs:
    OK, so I've recently got a new laptop which means I can now download software and play other sites apart from Sky. Then I remembered one of the reason I've only ever really played on sky and it's so called no HUD policy. However, a quick google search and I was able to find something called SkyHUD...no idea how legit it is and if it works or not. I did notice a REG actually posted a reply on there too (although I don't think I've come across them in a while) I was also reading a thread on 2+2 regarding HUD's. One person said: " But you realize that sites and regulators have no ability to ban HUDs, don't you? I'm a software engineer, as soon as your poker software makes a hand history available to a player, I can write software that will run on any operating system to stuff the hand in a database and display statistics from that database on screen." I can't imagine the Sky software is so advanced as to make it completely impossible to code a HUD... so is it just that they're banned and anyone found using them is deemed cheating? But then this guy also claimed that he could create one that was undetectable easily enough.  Also, why is it that Sky rightly don't allow HUD's yet mention it on 2+2 or to any poker player that relies on a HUD every day and it's slammed down as completely ridiculous to ban HUD's?  Sorry for the rambled post/rant!! Just hoping someone could shed some light on this!! No doubt Sky won't be able to comment though on any procedures they use to detect HUD's... so guess we just got to trust them that they can detect any HUD use and ban any person using it.
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Hi Tennis Bloke,

The problem with googling, is that you sometimes get linked to very old articles.

The matter you referred to was, if memory serves correct, at least 3 or 4 years ago.

A chap did design a HUD for use on Sky Poker, & rather ambitiously named it "Sky HUD" or somesuch, & advertised it for sale on 2+2 & elsewhere, which was probably a tad unwise of him.

It was detected quite quickly, and then a software change was immediately implemented which rendered it, & any similar device, inoperative. 

"....
    But you realize that sites and regulators have no ability to ban HUDs, don't you? I'm a software engineer, as soon as your poker software makes a hand history available to a player, I can write software that will run on any operating system to stuff the hand in a database and display statistics from that database on screen......"

He is wrong. It is quite straightforward to make a HUD inoperative to all intents & purposes, & any Poker Site has the ability & perfect right so to do. It's quite simple to stop, any site that wished to ban them could do so very quickly.  

"...
    can't imagine the Sky software is so advanced as to make it completely impossible to code a HUD... so is it just that they're banned and anyone found using them is deemed cheating? But then this guy also claimed that he could create one that was undetectable easily enough......"

It's not impossible to write software to code a HUD for Sky Poker, not at all, but it's (now) impossible to write HUD software that will WORK on Sky Poker. Any such software would now be detected immediately, & would not function, detected or not.

"....Also, why is it that Sky rightly don't allow HUD's yet mention it on 2+2 or to any poker player that relies on a HUD every day and it's slammed down as completely ridiculous to ban HUD's?...."

That is a very hard debate to have on any poker Forum, as it is usually met with a hail of abuse & derision by a certain faction of the Poker Community - the "regs" who are long term winners. They rely on HUD's to give them a built in advantage over recreationals who do not use them, so the regs get a little uppity when the matter is debated. Bizarrely, they usually claim that HUD's give them no advantage, which is a somewhat eccentric piece of logic.

It does not really matter what anyone thinks or says though, as to the advantages or not of HUD's. Sky Poker are firmly committed to NEVER allowing them as far as I know, & I don't imagine that stance is ever likely to change in the foreseeable future.

So they may well be fair & reasonable, or not, thats a matter of opinion, but Sky Poker won't be allowing them.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs:
    In Response to HUDs : Why so anti-huds Ivan? I can understand why people would prefer them not to exist, but it seems OTT to avoid sites just because of them especially if you play tournaments.  Download the software and use the 30 day free trial to play abit, see how you get on. I have a feeling you might enjoy yourself over on the darkside ! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Meant to reply to this but forgot about it!!!

I think I downloaded a free trial once (a long time ago) but couldn't for the life of me figure out how to work it out. So yeah, I figure I'm going to have the same problem if I try it again.

Lots of combined reasons really though. For one, I HATE clutter. I love the classic skypoker view where you see the cards, the stack amounts and that's it. Watching vids where people use HUDs and see all these numbers floating around and it just would drive me crazy!

Also I think I'm so far behind knowledge wise having never used a HUD and I just lack motivation to try and learn all there is to know about it!

I mean I'm a numbers person so yeah, maybe a HUD would suit me to some degree. I dunno. But yeah, I just prefer no HUD but feel I'd be at a disadvantage playing w/o one on the "big" sites where player pools are much larger. OFC on smaller sites I'm happier to play w/o a HUD even if others are because it's easier to remember players more and go off your notes/memory.  
  • edited January 2015
    cant understand why sites like unibet poker have never done it before u can have max five alais and change them anytime for new ones stop all hud and pointless makeing notes on players can play at a table come off go  back as a differnt player very good idea if u ask me
  • edited January 2015
    cant understand why sites like unibet poker have never done it before u can have max five alais and change them anytime for new ones stop all hud and pointless makeing notes on players can play at a table come off go  back as a differnt player very good idea if u ask me
    Posted by scrumdown
    Thing is with anonymous tables (effectively what that is?) you take a lot of skill out of poker. Sure, playing readless is a skill in itself but so is being able to adjust and adapt your game based on your image and how your opponents (that you recognize) play. 

I mean I can see why HUD's were introduced especially on the big sites - player pools being so large it was mostly like playing anon poker - sure, maybe after a few months grinding you recognize a few players at your limits but in another few months they might be gone - moved up/down stakes or just moved their volume elsewhere. So HUD's were a clever way to add that skill aspect back to the game (to a degree) - although the fact it does all the work for you and to a more accurate degree could be too much help!

HUD's will prob never be banned. They're a bit like the laws on guns in America - short sighted to introduce them in the first place and now they've been going for so long it would cause too many problems to get rid of them just like that! 

However, changes could be implemented to make them better. 2 ideas:

1) HUD's can only collect stats from other HUD users. That way you're at no disadvantage if you don't use a HUD.
    2) Instead of HUD's being third party software, the site itself creates a HUD within the software. Therefore, everyone has the ability to use it w/o having to pay for it.

The first one I think would be great for the game of poker. Recreationals should lose their money at a slower rate. That can only be good for the liquidity of online poker!

@ Tikay: Thanks for your reply too, much appreciated :)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs : Thing is with anonymous tables (effectively what that is?) you take a lot of skill out of poker. Sure, playing readless is a skill in itself but so is being able to adjust and adapt your game based on your image and how your opponents (that you recognize) play.  I mean I can see why HUD's were introduced especially on the big sites - player pools being so large it was mostly like playing anon poker - sure, maybe after a few months grinding you recognize a few players at your limits but in another few months they might be gone - moved up/down stakes or just moved their volume elsewhere. So HUD's were a clever way to add that skill aspect back to the game (to a degree) - although the fact it does all the work for you and to a more accurate degree could be too much help! HUD's will prob never be banned. They're a bit like the laws on guns in America - short sighted to introduce them in the first place and now they've been going for so long it would cause too many problems to get rid of them just like that!  However, changes could be implemented to make them better. 2 ideas: 1) HUD's can only collect stats from other HUD users. That way you're at no disadvantage if you don't use a HUD. 2) Instead of HUD's being third party software, the site itself creates a HUD within the software. Therefore, everyone has the ability to use it w/o having to pay for it. The first one I think would be great for the game of poker. Recreationals should lose their money at a slower rate. That can only be good for the liquidity of online poker! @ Tikay: Thanks for your reply too, much appreciated :)
    Posted by F_Ivanovic
    Firstly I don't use HUDs (much to the annoyance of Dohh!).

I just massively disagree with the bolded bit. What kind of stats are you going to get from a rec player? It will be such a small sample size you wont be able to tell much.

Lots seems to be discussed about HUDs and its made out to be this scary thing to rec players when its main use is regs v regs where you can have a decent sample size to get data from.

Not sure about your motivation about banning HUDs, seems like just because you lack the motivation to learn how to use a HUD means they should be banned?
  • edited January 2015
    This thread is annoying to me because every time I see the title my brains have to say "HD" in the style of Fonejacker.

• edited January 2015
    Part of the reason I don't like them (or the idea of them) is that it reduces the requirement of the user to think. It's like playing a video game and sitting with a strategy guide.
  • edited January 2015
    Part of the reason I don't like them (or the idea of them) is that it reduces the requirement of the user to think. It's like playing a video game and sitting with a strategy guide.
    Posted by Slipwater

respectfully that isnt even close to being true.

i guy i regularly play in HUSNGs has the following stats in the BB 21-25bb deep.

v  a min raise he folds 50%, 3bet jams 25% and non-all-in 3bts 25% - never calls

v a limp he raises 60%

he folds v a  cbet in a limped pot 75%

whats your small-blind strat and why. all the info is there...
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs :   respectfully that isnt even close to being true. i guy i regularly play in HUSNGs has the following stats in the BB 21-25bb deep. v  a min raise he folds 50%, 3bet jams 25% and non-all-in 3bts 25% - never calls v a limp he raises 60% he folds v a  cbet in a limped pot 75% whats your small-blind strat and why. all the info is there...
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I respect your respect, sir :)

But if they don't simplify the game for some players, why would they be desired by many? It would be odd for players to request something that complicates their game.
  • edited January 2015
    it gives you information.

but if your response to that information is poor then you would be better off not having it.

you still have to formulate responses and strategy, but you have a more concrete and solid idea of your opponents strategy on which to base those responses and strategies.

but having the numbers doesnt make those adjustments / strategy immediately obvious without thought.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs : Firstly I don't use HUDs (much to the annoyance of Dohh!). I just massively disagree with the bolded bit. What kind of stats are you going to get from a rec player? It will be such a small sample size you wont be able to tell much. Lots seems to be discussed about HUDs and its made out to be this scary thing to rec players when its main use is regs v regs where you can have a decent sample size to get data from. Not sure about your motivation about banning HUDs, seems like just because you lack the motivation to learn how to use a HUD means they should be banned?
    Posted by MattBates
    Yeah I got the same response elsewhere. I guess it depends how you define a recreational player though. There isn't a specific cut off point to say "he's a rec or reg" Rec players can somewhat merge into regulars - they might play a fair bit but still be a losing player (as majority of players are) 

Sure, it might take a little longer to get a good sample size but even just 200 hands can give you a good idea of how to play against them. Plus, it massively helps when it comes to table selecting. I wouldn't know billy from john on a site with a v large player pool but with a HUD you can quickly identify who the regs are and who the fishy players are - even a sample size of 50 showing a players VPIP of 40-80 can lead you to chooising correct tables. Meanwhile I'd have to be plucking completely in the dark every time I go to the lobby. Obv seating scripts makes that 100x worse but that's another problem (and at least being addressed somewhat)

Is it unfair for me to suggest to ban them just because I lack motivation to learn to use them? I dunno haha. Maybe. It's not the sole reason - I think the game is better w/o them. But obv everyone that uses them just can't imagine poker without HUD's - like I said in my analogy before it's just like American's can't imagine living without a gun to protect them. Whereas most people here would just say there is no need for a gun whatsoever. 

Like I said I realise it's pretty absurd to want to ban them now. Thing is surely there's a few reg players like me that want to play w/o a HUD but don't because over time as stats are collected on them they'll be at a disadvantage. 

Curious as to your reasons why you don't use a HUD then Matt? Even just being able to see VPIP and fold to 3bet would surely help you in tournaments for mid-late tourney?
  • edited January 2015
    i guess I'm a rec/reg crossover person that Ivan is referring to. i do feel that a hud would give others a potential advantage over me although more in cash than tournaments. i do have a plan to counter that if sky ever introduces huds but until then I'm happy they don't allow them. 
  • edited January 2015
    Although i do expect the likes of mister bates to know all he needs to about my play without the use of any additional help
  • edited January 2015
    i guess I'm a rec/reg crossover person that Ivan is referring to. i do feel that a hud would give others a potential advantage over me although more in cash than tournaments. i do have a plan to counter that if sky ever introduces huds but until then I'm happy they don't allow them. 
    Posted by GELDY
    You're fine - Sky will never allow them.
  • edited January 2015
    And ironically i think matt has a point Ivan
    given your ability at the game and at numbers i think you would be well placed to benefit from their use. 
    i also understand how, given your capabilities you are quite happy to stay in a world without them.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs : Firstly I don't use HUDs (much to the annoyance of Dohh!). I just massively disagree with the bolded bit. What kind of stats are you going to get from a rec player? It will be such a small sample size you wont be able to tell much. Lots seems to be discussed about HUDs and its made out to be this scary thing to rec players when its main use is regs v regs where you can have a decent sample size to get data from. Not sure about your motivation about banning HUDs, seems like just because you lack the motivation to learn how to use a HUD means they should be banned?
    Posted by MattBates
    having got myself holdem manager HUDs on 888 poker for free, I've found out that it's got very little use at all, in fact they've been used more like something which tells me my overall winnings than used as they meant to be used.

if someone is a rec, we already expecting them to have high VPIP (volenteer to put money in put, in other words limp or call) and low PFR (pre flop raise), therefore it's not really going to make any different weather we have HUD or not.

regs on the other hand can be tight passive, tight aggressive, ABC or some other form, so HUDs tells us just how aggressive they are pre and post flop and also how much of a range they likely to have in each pos.
  • edited January 2015
    If you can build a decent sample then the analysis you can do on your own game amd leaks is as valuable as the stats you have on particular opponents.

• edited January 2015
    If you can build a decent sample then the analysis you can do on your own game amd leaks is as valuable as the stats you have on particular opponents.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    for single style players maybe
  • edited January 2015
    And more for cash than mtts
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs : for single style players maybe
    Posted by GELDY
    For any players. Most players are adpaptive anyways. Memory is selective and unreliable.  being able to see what the population turns up with on certain textures, whether certain river situations / ranges are costing or making you money is useful.

Most players overestimate their creative prowess and ts impact on results anyway. The most meaningful mistakes are the small munndane ones you make over and over. Most of your ev comes from villains making more mistakes than you.

Pt4, HEM etc are fantastic tools for self analysis. To think that you wouldnt benenfit as you are too creative for it to be meaningful woukd be arrogance.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: HUDs : For any players. Most players are adpaptive anyways. Memory is selective and unreliable.  being able to see what the population turns up with on certain textures, whether certain river situations / ranges are costing or making you money is useful. Most players overestimate their creative prowess and ts impact on results anyway. The most meaningful mistakes are the small munndane ones you make over and over. Most of your ev comes from villains making more mistakes than you. Pt4, HEM etc are fantastic tools for self analysis. To think that you wouldnt benenfit as you are too creative for it to be meaningful woukd be arrogance.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

i would have to have some experience of them to be able to refute this,  or not. suffice it to say based on my knowledge of statistics i know how to render them meaningless or worse

• edited January 2015
    Any player could benefit from a database of all hands they have played and the tools to filter them.

You can  never have a big enough sample to be sure of anything, but for example you can group similar hands together to gain sample size at the expense of detail.

.backed up with theory you can really drill down on certain parts of your game.

You dont even need to do anything fancy. For  example simply being able to review every hand you have 3bt out of the SB v a cut-off open. You dont need to run through deep database analysis to simply pull the hands up and see how you play in 3bt pots. You may remember the time you have 3bt 54s and outplayed villain, but forget the times you have done the same and found yourself lost.

• edited January 2015
    Any player could benefit from a database of all hands they have played and the tools to filter them. You can  never have a big enough sample to be sure of anything, but for example you can group similar hands together to gain sample size at the expense of detail. .backed up with theory you can really drill down on certain parts of your game. You dont even need to do anything fancy. For  example simply being able to review every hand you have 3bt out of the SB v a cut-off open. You dont need to run through deep database analysis to simply pull the hands up and see how you play in 3bt pots. You may remember the time you have 3bt 54s and outplayed villain, but forget the times you have done the same and found yourself lost.
    Posted by TeddyBloat

very true
    i thought huds only gave you average stats 
    if you can analyse the full detail that's great

you beaten that hu computer yet? 

• edited January 2015
    The actual HUD gives you a small overview of villain.

But you also have a database of all your hands and the using program running the HUD you can filter your entire database for buyin, starting range, position, board texture,  facing actions, # players to flop, etc etc etc or any combination of these things. They are very powerful tools if you know how to use and interpret them. All this is work done away from the tables and a benefit people often overlook.

The HU server was down when I tried i and I have never played limit. Would be cool if there were lessons to be applied to hu no limt play but I thinjk the two game trees woukd be radically different.

I have seen pseudo GTO solutions for hu short stacked post flop play and the conclusions were radically different to how people play generally and incredibly useful in formulating exploitattive lines.

Ill be very excited to see what if any applications come out for gto no limit play from this.