You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

on the bubble

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
im in a satalite,the £48 UKPC we are on the bubble only 6 seats ,7 left my table has 3 short stacks rangeing from 4k to 8k im on 18k the other table has 3 big stacks 13k upto 17k im being told i should be shoving every hand even thou i was getting 9highs and lower when i did have a hand i did shove or raised it ..its a satalite and i want to win a £220 seat im not going to give my chip lead away just because someone on other table thinks i should be shoving every hand so he can win a seat as he lost alot chips on his table ....CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I SHOULD GIVE UP A CHIP LEAD IN THIS SITUATION OR RISK MY CHIPS WITH RUBBISH CARDS 

Comments

• edited January 2015
    watching both tables you did nothing wrong hanson wp gg gl on sunday in winning a seat
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to on the bubble:
    im in a satalite,the £48 UKPC we are on the bubble only 6 seats ,7 left my table has 3 short stacks rangeing from 4k to 8k im on 18k the other table has 3 big stacks 13k upto 17k im being told i should be shoving every hand even thou i was getting 9highs and lower when i did have a hand i did shove or raised it ..its a satalite and i want to win a £220 seat im not going to give my chip lead away just because someone on other table thinks i should be shoving every hand so he can win a seat as he lost alot chips on his table ....CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHY I SHOULD GIVE UP A CHIP LEAD IN THIS SITUATION OR RISK MY CHIPS WITH RUBBISH CARDS 
    Posted by HANSON
    Hi Hanson I think it was when you had summat like 20k and you had every1 covered by at least 13k and kept folding, usually the big stack puts pressure on the 3 smaller stacks in this position as each hand you couldn't be knocked out,, fair play if you want to fold your way to the seat that's fine, I think it was frustration creeping in as the bubble lasted a long time and at one point you folded to a 4k shove when you were in the big blind, losing that hand would still have you as chip leader. Good luck in the final.
  • edited January 2015
    good luck also tom
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: on the bubble:
    In Response to on the bubble : Hi Hanson I think it was when you had summat like 20k and you had every1 covered by at least 13k and kept folding, usually the big stack puts pressure on the 3 smaller stacks in this position as each hand you couldn't be knocked out,, fair play if you want to fold your way to the seat that's fine, I think it was frustration creeping in as the bubble lasted a long time and at one point you folded to a 4k shove when you were in the big blind, losing that hand would still have you as chip leader. Good luck in the final.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    ty for the response having slept on it i do understand the points about putting pressure on the short stacks and i do remember that hand you mentioned i had 9 4 off which in my mind im defo behind to the allinn i also shoved a few times with A Q...AK....PKT PAIRS.. my worry with the allin above was yes if i call and lose i still got loads of chips, but hes doubled upped then the nexted one that shoves i call i lose ive now lost about half my chips for no good reason even if i do the shoving like i did with pkt 10s got called by A K he hit the A on river ...i guess in reality we all take different view how to play the bubble with a big stack...i am what some might call a timid player with no balls lol...
  • edited January 2015
    watching both tables you did nothing wrong hanson wp gg gl on sunday in winning a seat
    Posted by TENTENTEN
    ty for response ....i guess we all have different views on how to play a big stack in that situation...havin slepted on it i do get his piont of view but i just dont hav the balls to do it ...this is why im not a excellant player im just a ok player..:) 
  • edited January 2015
    A couple of points.

Firstly, if people on the other table were telling you how to play whilst the game is in progress then that could be looked at as collusion and could get them, and you, in trouble.

Secondly, your goal in a satellite is to qualify, it makes no difference whether you qualify as chip leader or as a short stack, you still qualify. If you 'want to fold your way to the seat' that is fine. In my opinion you probably played it correctly from what you have said. Certainly why put pressure on smaller stacks when you only had to lose 2 all ins and then you would also be a short stack? Obviously in a normal tournament where the money is heavily weighted to the top places then you should almost certainly put pressure on the short stacks.

Only my opinion and I'm sure better players than me would disagree.
  • edited January 2015
    A couple of points. Firstly, if people on the other table were telling you how to play whilst the game is in progress then that could be looked at as collusion and could get them, and you, in trouble. Secondly, your goal in a satellite is to qualify, it makes no difference whether you qualify as chip leader or as a short stack, you still qualify. If you 'want to fold your way to the seat' that is fine. In my opinion you probably played it correctly from what you have said. Certainly why put pressure on smaller stacks when you only had to lose 2 all ins and then you would also be a short stack? Obviously in a normal tournament where the money is heavily weighted to the top places then you should almost certainly put pressure on the short stacks. Only my opinion and I'm sure better players than me would disagree.
    Posted by Enut
    ty for your insight ..as you said its a satalite and i would play different if it was a cash tournie 
  • edited January 2015
    Nothing more infuriating than someone trying to give advice which is clearly wrong haha!

Putting pressure on as the big stack in the satellite on the bubble is just really terrible advice! You have a seat as good as locked up from the sounds of it - you mentioned you were raising with AK/AQ and decent pairs - you don't even really need to do this and it might be even best play to fold aces facing action. Eventually 2 of the shortstacks are going to be forced to do battle. Just wait it out for that to happen!
  • edited January 2015
    If he is guaranteed a seat by folding, then playing ANY hand, including aces, is going to be -EV longterm.

It is up to the short stacks to fight it out.  Take the seat in the knowledge that you played it right.
  • edited January 2015
    You paid your buy in.
    Don't listen to anyone else.
    You play as you wish.
  • edited January 2015
    Say for example

Blinds are 2000/4000 and short stack has 4200

You are leader with 30000

Short stack shoves on ur big blind surely you have to call the 200 chips.

• edited January 2015
    Say for example Blinds are 2000/4000 and short stack has 4200 You are leader with 30000 Short stack shoves on ur big blind surely you have to call the 200 chips.
    Posted by stuarty117
    Yes, obviously in this instance since we are getting such ridiculous odds and 200 is a very small % of a big blind. If SS had 8000 then it's still probably a call in most instances (just 4000 more which is less than an orbit at the table)...

But generally you just want to stay out the way as the big stack and lock up your place!
  • edited January 2015
    Yeah it's just common sense really. If you're a large stack on the bubble of a sat then you don't really need to play any hands. But yeah if someone shoves and it's a tiny price to call in the blinds then you should do it regardless of your holding.
  • edited January 2015
    To clarify,it wasn't me who was giving "advice" at the time, I was on the other table playing as pointed out like a " donkey" as per usual, guess I'm just a lucky so and so to win it, tbh I'm glad im not as skilled and knowledgeable as one or two clearly are here.,I would get very light headed on that high horse.
  • edited January 2015
    To clarify,it wasn't me who was giving "advice" at the time, I was on the other table playing as pointed out like a " donkey" as per usual, guess I'm just a lucky so and so to win it, tbh I'm glad im not as skilled and knowledgeable as one or two clearly are here.,I would get very light headed on that high horse.
    Posted by tomgoodun
    Don't worry Tom, I'm sure we all know that you wouldn't do anything like that!

Good luck in the final sir.