You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Online vs Live

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi I've recently been recapping on live wins and online losses and I tend to find that ive lost each of my deposits online (which I am not complaining about) and my live play win percentage is high compared and always making final table, my question here as im looking to start heading back to live games is how different is the playing style between live and online and could playing online poker as you would live be the cause for struggling online and if the strategy is major different do you have any suggestions or material for online play? Thanks for listening people

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Bumped up for a new poster.

Hi Martin,
    I don't play live so can't really give you any advice, but i'm sure some people will be around later to help.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Online vs Live:
    Bumped up for a new poster. Hi Martin, I don't play live so can't really give you any advice, but i'm sure some people will be around later to help.
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks would you have any general advice or links to tips regarding adjusting to online play? Also it's nice to see someone here into the ska scene 
  • edited January 2015
    Probably be worth stating what games you play and at what level.

Cash, Mtt's , SnG's ??

I've just had Moorman's book for Xmas, so that should be useful for Online MTT play.
  • edited January 2015
    To be honest with you vespa I'm pretty new to the whole online poker, and I've been dipping into cash games SnG and tournaments NLHL and it could be lack of experience playing online so I've already decided that I'll be putting some time in to just play freeroll until I can pick up the feel of things and like you say the main answer is going to be best from someone who also has experience in live poker and I'll just hope that somebody checks this post. Thanks for the input and I'll have a look online for some material it's difficult with a lot of negative feedback from online poker but i'm sure there are some good tips and guides out there to make the most of playing online :) 
  • edited January 2015
    To be honest with you vespa I'm pretty new to the whole online poker, and I've been dipping into cash games SnG and tournaments NLHL and it could be lack of experience playing online so I've already decided that I'll be putting some time in to just play freeroll until I can pick up the feel of things and like you say the main answer is going to be best from someone who also has experience in live poker and I'll just hope that somebody checks this post. Thanks for the input and I'll have a look online for some material it's difficult with a lot of negative feedback from online poker but i'm sure there are some good tips and guides out there to make the most of playing online :) 
    Posted by justmartin
    The first thing to say is that online is a lot harder than live. This is for various reasons, one of which is that there is hard evidence as to what you win/lose online, via sharkscope/prolabs/opr-a lot of live players either do not realise that they are losing, or just enjoy it. I always think that the buy-in differs by a factor of 10-so a £200 buy-in live is like a £20 tourny online.

Too much is made re the differences between the 2 types-concentrate on the similarities:-if you know who is the most and least aggressive on your table, you are halfway there. Similarly, be aware of stack sizes and shoving ranges.

I suggest that you play all types of game (and a few sites), to find what suits you/you enjoy. Finally, don't play too many tables at the same time.

Hope that helps-good luck at the tables

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Online vs Live : The first thing to say is that online is a lot harder than live. This is for various reasons, one of which is that there is hard evidence as to what you win/lose online, via sharkscope/prolabs/opr-a lot of live players either do not realise that they are losing, or just enjoy it. I always think that the buy-in differs by a factor of 10-so a £200 buy-in live is like a £20 tourny online. Too much is made re the differences between the 2 types-concentrate on the similarities:-if you know who is the most and least aggressive on your table, you are halfway there. Similarly, be aware of stack sizes and shoving ranges. I suggest that you play all types of game (and a few sites), to find what suits you/you enjoy. Finally, don't play too many tables at the same time. Hope that helps-good luck at the tables
    Posted by Essexphil
    Thanks for the response and i believe i may have been in a DYM with you earlier, well I haven't responded on here until I had made a decision, so after playing quite a lot, almost every night since this post I have found my feat at Sit n Go's DYM, cash games are my enemy and have cost me a few pennies! Had a good run on DYM today. In terms of tournaments, I haven't made top yet but have improved my game and coming a lot closer to that prize money of garaunteed seats, the Mini BH freeroll I came in top 20. So concentration, adjustments and finding my feet has paid off in some respect so it has defrinitely became a lot more enjoyable playing online.

Now back to my comfort zone and off to a live game tonight...If this turns into an addiction it had better be a profitable one! ;)
  • edited January 2015
    Very good question
    welcome to skypoker and to TPT