You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Is my play here going to be profitable in the long run??

edited January 2015 in Tournament Strategy
It is worth noting that the bb is away which could be a factor in villains raise. Villain is a winning mtt reg, fairly wide opening range.

This is tonights main BH.....my thinking was he could be at it with junk or it's more than likely a race and I could even be a mile ahead so I shoved. I appreciate it's a high variance route and in retrospect I  could have called and maybe took it down on the flop.

Was I too aggro here or right to go for it given the fact I could also get the fold pre flop???
waller02 Small blind  100.00 100.00 9976.25
cheeseking Big blind  200.00 300.00 10057.50
  Your hole cards

Bake Fold     
oldgolf Fold     
Raise  400.00 700.00 2951.25
mwm72 Fold     
waller02 All-in  9976.25 10676.25 0.00
cheeseking Fold     
All-in  2951.25 13627.50 0.00
waller02 Unmatched bet  6725.00 6902.50 6725.00
waller02 Show

Show
  • Q
  • J

Flop

Turn

• Q

River

Win Full House, 9s and Queens 6902.50  6902.50

Comments

• edited January 2015
    Sometimes when the BB is away.....they ain't really away....
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Is my play here going to be profitable in the long run??:
    Sometimes when the BB is away.....they ain't really away....
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    He was away, I said hello and he didn't reply.......now answer the question
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Is my play here going to be profitable in the long run?? : He was away, I said hello and he didn't reply.......now answer the question
    Posted by waller02
    Sure he wasn't just ignoring you? It's the standard line.

The hand....meh its a BH main, just go for it. Don't like peeling, don't like folding, leaves only one option.
  • edited January 2015

Suuuuuuper Standard. 

Lol that villain is a winning mtt reg raise/calling 17 blinds with QJs. 
  • edited January 2015
    I think the call is fine.

given he is raising wide it is hard to construct a competent 3bet range that QJs  doesnt have enough equity to call off against. for example even if waller was a super-nit shoving only:22-AA,  A7s+, A9o+ and KQs then it has enough raw equity to make a profitable chip-ev call. and that is against a 8.5% nit-range that only comprises hands that QJs need to hit against and a fair few hands that CRUSH QJs [AJ, AQ, KQs, JJ+]

given that villain is competent and knows waller is competent enough to both:

a. know that villain is raising wide

and

b. be able to do summat about it

then he has to assume that waller is shoving wider than 8.5% pure thick value. adding just 3 bluffs to wallers range means that he is printing chips. also waller may not be shoving KK and AA [maybe not QQ and JJ either] so that will make the call better. if villain is raising wide then he needs to call appropriately wide or he will be owned by someone with a wide shoving range.

that said these are pure equity numbers and there will be ICM considerations, but from a raw equity standpoint folding QJs @ 17bb will be a mistake after raising v anyone who is not an uber nit.

for reference i cant remember the last time i folded suited broadway pre-flop in a hyper heads up game and they go upto 25bb. equity wise they are so rarely folds once you have so much as a small blind invested in the pot.

i dont know much about MTT ranges 17bb deep, or the correct ICM numbers but if waller is shoving as wide as 8.5% + 3 bluffs then its a REALLY good call equity wise
  • edited January 2015
    "even if waller was a super-nit shoving only:22-AA,  A7s+, A9o+ and KQs then it has enough raw equity to make a profitable chip-ev call"

In my experience this range is really wide for even loose sky players in this spot. 

When I've played Waller in the past he's far from a nit and even he's posted this as he is unsure about a hand as strong as 88. 

The tighter players shove so narrow in these spots, it's really crazy. 

Although if we are planning to get the JQs in as 'x', surely open shoving >>>> inducing? Wouldn't mind that so much with the bb away. 

My sky mtt results are really average though, so wouldn't be surprised if I've got this 1 wrong.

All the advice I've been given is to tighten up gii ranges both when shoving and calling, hence my surprise at the 'winning' reg getting it in here. Many ways to skin a cat though I suppose! 
  • edited January 2015
    yeah i think you are right and i may be way off re shoving ranges anyway. i probably shove way too wide at these depths in mtts to be honest.

QJs plays so well post flop that the value of being flatted IP would make it so that minr/calling beats open shoving, esp given that many of the folds you get shoving you still get by minraising. also if villains are debating whether 88 is too thin v a wide opening range then minr will dominate shoving.

-----

i mean its basically break even in terms of chips v:  44+, A9+.

take smaller pockets and  KK / AA out and against 77-QQ, A9+ its a clear call equity wise.

ICM wise it might be bad, but if waller is ever bluffing then its a great call equity wise:

when he minr folds he ends up with a stack of 2951.25

when he calls v a range of:

99-QQ, A9+, 78s

he ends up with a stack of:

[.54*0]+[.46*6902.5] = 3175.15

thats over 1bb better than folding against pretty tight range with only one bluff combo

add in KK and AA and its a clear fold but the more bluffs you bundle in the better it gets.

add in one more bluff and 55-77 and it gets close to 2bb better than folding.

dunno how much edge you need in these spots, and being 1 - 2bb better off probably aint worth busting 54% of the time i agree.
  • edited January 2015
    I'm interested to see your thoughts on the QJs call because I was slightly surprised by the call.

I'm not a total nit but I'm also not shoving as wide as some of the ranges you have mentioned. I had been 3betting but not to the extent that would give anyone at the table the impression I had a wide 3b range.

Dohhh is right about the vast majority of players on sky, even the ones considered to be loose, having a tighter 3b shoving range than you mention. For this reason I can't see calling off with QJs being profitable?? My knowledge of the game is limited though!
  • edited January 2015
    On sky I don't see people jamming all that wide. I haven't done any maffs or looked at it in detail but the QJ call looks very punty to me!
  • edited January 2015
    yeah i agree. although calling is nearly always going to be +ev chip wise, it's nothing worth punting your stack for when you are never ahead v a range.

might be worth looking at expanding a 3bet bluffing range v wide openers if calling QJs is incorrecrt, as once you remove QJs, KQs, JTs etc from minr-calling ranges it doesnt leave much value leftt to call with.

if villain is raising a value heavy range of:

22-AA, A5+ K9o+,KTs, Qto+, Q9s+, T9s+, JTo,

but calling only:

88-AA, A9+

then he is folding 69% of the time.

the ev of 3betting 72o @ 17bb is thus:

EV(bet) = (1-F)*(CF*P1 - B) + (F*P2)

F = fold equity
    CF = equity when called
    B = bet size
    P1 pot size when called
    P2 pot raked in when we get a fold.

plugging in numbers

EV(bet) = (1-.69)*(.17*35 - 16.5) + (F*5)

EV(bet) = (.31)*(-11.05) + (3.45)

+ .18bb thats .68 bb better than folding

so 3bet shoving 72o is more than a SB better than folding v someone opening just 14% of hands here. that's crazy.

shoving 72o is never going to be correct MMT strat, but it illustrates a point. if peeps are minrasing wider and not correct to call wide then 3 bet jamming suited connected bluffs will be insanely good.

----

when you say he's opening wide here do you mean 25% of hands or 50-60%

lets look at a 25% range

22-AA, A2+, K8s+, K9o+,Q8s+, Q9o+, J8s+, J9o+, 76s+, T8o+, 86s+

thats 24% of hands

if he calls only 77+, A9+  then we have 80% fold equity.

shoving 53s  has an ev of

EV(bet) = (1-.8)*(.25*35 - 16.5) + (.8*5)

EV(bet) = (.21)*(-8.75) + (4)

EV(bet) = 2.45bb from start of hand

so it's 2.95bb better than folding

shoving JTs is 3.5 bb better than folding.

even if we realise 100% of our equity post flop after flatting JTs [impossibe OOP] we have 45% equity v villains opening range.

so the ev of  flatting is .45*5-1.5 = .75bb from start of hand.

so 3bt jamming  /> /> flatting.

if villain is opening wider, say 50% then those numbers only go one way.

this situation is artificial as the away bb makes everything SOOO much better. but the numbers would be pretty good button v BB if the SB folds. might be summat for mtt heads to look into with more standard ranges and ICM numbers added in. i'm hand waving a lot with the assumed ranges.
  • edited January 2015
    yeah i agree. although calling is nearly always going to be +ev chip wise, it's nothing worth punting your stack for when you are never ahead v a range. might be worth looking at expanding a 3bet bluffing range v wide openers if calling QJs is incorrecrt, as once you remove QJs, KQs, JTs etc from minr-calling ranges it doesnt leave much value leftt to call with. if villain is raising a value heavy range of: 22-AA, A5+ K9o+,KTs, Qto+, Q9s+, T9s+, JTo, but calling only: 88-AA, A9+ then he is folding 69% of the time. the ev of 3betting 72o @ 17bb is thus: EV(bet) = (1-F)*(CF*P1 - B) + (F*P2) F = fold equity CF = equity when called B = bet size P1 pot size when called P2 pot raked in when we get a fold. plugging in numbers EV(bet) = (1-.69)*(.17*35 - 16.5) + (F*5) EV(bet) = (.31)*(-10.55) + (3.45) + .1795 so 3bet shoving 72o is 17% of a BB better better than folding v someone opening just 14% of hands here. that's crazy. shoving 72o is never going to be correct MMT strat, but it illustrates a point. if peeps are minrasing wider and not correct to call wide then 3 bet jamming suited connected bluffs will be insanely good. ---- when you say he's opening wide here do you mean 25% of hands or 50-60% lets look at a 25% range 22-AA, A2+, K8s+, K9o+,Q8s+, Q9o+, J8s+, J9o+, 76s+, T8o+, 86s+ thats 24% of hands if he calls only 77+, A9+  then we have 80% fold equity. shoving 53s  has an ev of EV(bet) = (1-.8)*(.25*35 - 16.5) + (.8*5) EV(bet) = (.21)*(-7.75) + (4) EV(bet) = 2.375bb so it's 2.375bb better than folding shoving JTs is 3.25 bb better than folding. even if we realise 100% of our equity post flop after flatting JTs [impossibe OOP] we have 45% equity v villains opening range. so flatting is .45*5-1.5 = .75bb better than folding so 3bt jamming  /> /> flatting.# if villain is opening wider, say 50% then those numbers only go one way might be summat for mtt heads to look into with ICM numbers added in
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    I don't 100% know if him calling with QJs was incorrect.....that's one for the more competent players than me to decide. I was just surprised. My issue was whether or not me shoving the 88 was the right thing to do.....it felt right but just wanted to check. In the past I have been guilty of just calling and it is something I'm trying to phase out in the right spots.

I enjoy your posts though teddy, I have never really looked into the maths side of things in depth and it certainly helps (once I get my head around it!!)

re: the bolded section, I don't see how expanding a 3b bluffing range can do any good, because whether or not it is correct to call with the QJs a lot will still call, certainly in this case where I would be in worse shape. Or have I totally misunderstood?? (quite possible) lol
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Is my play here going to be profitable in the long run?? : I don't 100% know if him calling with QJs was incorrect.....that's one for the more competent players than me to decide. I was just surprised. My issue was whether or not me shoving the 88 was the right thing to do.....it felt right but just wanted to check. In the past I have been guilty of just calling and it is something I'm trying to phase out in the right spots.   I enjoy your posts though teddy, I have never really looked into the maths side of things in depth and it certainly helps (once I get my head around it!!) re: the bolded section, I don't see how expanding a 3b bluffing range can do any good, because whether or not it is correct to call with the QJs a lot will still call, certainly in this case where I would be in worse shape. Or have I totally misunderstood?? (quite possible) lol
    Posted by waller02
    yeah i should have said 'standard' instead of correct.

when bundliung value hands into minraise-call ranges you quickly run out of pocket pairs and good Ax. if people are raising wide but folding KQs, QJs, etc at 17 bb, then shoving can be very profitable just due to fold equity. obviously you would usually be worried about the BB waking up with a hand. but if somene is opening unopened pots on the button really wide [and i've seen some regs advocating really wide ranges in that spot] but only calling a tight range, and the SB fold to your BB then you could probably look to jam a fairly wide range.

you'd want lots of fold equity though as that will both increase ev and more importantly reduce variance which is really important when you put your tournament on the line for an expected 1.5-3bb profit.

i think one range i posted above had 80% folds when shoved over. that is just asking to be exploited.

it's not even a high vairance play:

80% of the time you win a 5bb pot uncontested

6% of the time you double up

14% of the time you bust

average profit 3bb

so a 3bb gain when 86% of the time you either double up or win a 5bb pot is well worth the risk of busting 14% of the time.

----

it is a juicy situation due to the away players dead BB, but even if you were the BB and the SB folded having 80% fold equity would be an insanely profitable place to be when considering shoving.

you MTT players will be able to use more accurate raise / call ranges. but 88 is such a good shove here imo.
  • edited January 2015
    Thanks again teddy.

I have put little to no effort into poker as far as studying is concerned and this is something I want to change this year. You advice is great, you back up what you say with the maths to prove it. Much appreciated.
  • edited January 2015
    np, just use more accurate ranges, i cant see that we will ever have 80% fold equity v regs opening a 25% value heavy range @ 17bb. it just doesnt make any sense to me [but maybe regs explit the fact that people dont defend wide enough / cap themselves by only shoving value and flatting a defined range].

i suck at mtts and if my assumptions are wrong then the conclusions will be meaningless, but hopefully peeps can benefit from the discussion anyway by using their own ranges / intuition.

dont forget that 3-bet shoving has to be better than flatting and some hands flat so well that you really need high fold equity to make shoving better.
  • edited January 2015
    88 is the same as 22 in this spot no?
  • edited January 2015
    I'll let you know when ive played 1000 mtts
  • edited January 2015
    I'll let you know when ive played 1000 mtts
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Make it 2000 then we'll talk.
  • edited January 2015
    On sky I don't see people jamming all that wide. I haven't done any maffs or looked at it in detail but the QJ call looks very punty to me!
    Posted by MattBates
    and here is the essence of the question really, wether we shove v a raiser who has less than 20bb ? I suppose this boils down to knowing your customer, and the notes you have.
    If you know the villain is a strong player reg do you know he is willing to open/fold from this stack?

The situation you (Waller02)) were faced with reminded me of a quote from Jon "Pearljammer" Turner (Winning Poker Tournaments 2) that I had just been reading, so I thought I would share it :-

'Wielding such a big stack, I have opened up my game more than usual and have been more than willing to race when necessary.
      I am familiar with opponents at this table. I know these players to be strong,experienced tournament players, unafraid of busting out. Unless I see otherwise, I can safely assume that they will all practice such common tactics of strong online MTT players as not raise-folding stacks of 20 big blinds or less'.

Now, I am not saying wether your jam or his call was good/bad or whatever, but it probably pays to know your villain. 

Hope you took notes !

• edited January 2015
    Intersting discussion. As per what Matt said people don't tend to 3-bet shove wide but that's also largely due to the fact that opening ranges sub 20bb deep are pretty tight. That being said, this does seem a spot where x would be opening a bit looser and thus allowing waller to shove wider. Which also means QJs goes from being a raise/fold to a raise-call.

There aren't really any ICM considerations at this point and so mostly you don't want to be folding when you have +ev oppertunities. This is a BH though and bad players will chase bounties wide - and we can wait a bit and GII with much better equity. (like vs some players you can jam KK and be happy they'll call with 40%+) But if blinds are going up soon, then we'll have less time to wait for a hand to GII with.
  • edited January 2015
    Given there are no $EV or Bounties to consider

If we look at CEV

versus pushing range of 22+,A7s+,A9o+,KJs+ it's -CEV to call 

removing top end of which Waller 3 bets and widen the push range   JJ-22,A5s+,A6o+,KJs+,KQo,QJs 

it's only slightly +t89CEV, not even half a blind 

so it's marginal then it's a fold

if we say waller shoves JJ-22,A2+,K9s+,KTo+,QT+,JT,98s,87s

then it's +t256CEV / but that's unlikely - still only just over a bb +cev

--

Given bb is away and we put bb on trap range AA/KK/QQ/AK 

you get a better return on shoving +t156CEV

---

r/c with this ...... really :)

• edited January 2015
    @Waller
    "My issue was whether or not me shoving the 88 was the right thing to do."

Depends on what you think vill raising range is and what % he calls off with

so for example 

vill raises 88+,A5s+,A8o+,KTs+,KQo,QJs

calls 88+,AJs+,AKo,KQs

88 is around the bottom of +CEV t48 

if you think he is raising wider and calling wider then no problem ripping 88