You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Question about PT and Holdem manager.

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
This has probably been asked before, But if it has ive missed it so figured id ask again, are Holdem manager and poker tracker useable with sky poker? 

Comments

• edited January 2015

Hi Mr Bus,

No, neither will work on Sky Poker.

That is by design, not accident, Sky Poker have a "No-Go" policy about such things.

• edited January 2015
    Thats fine just wanted to make sure that was the case before i wasted any money on them while were here tikay can u reccomend any poker tutorial sites wether its just videos, and any books worth reading? I should probably start with poker for dummies :)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Question about PT and Holdem manager.:
    Hi Mr Bus, No, neither will work on Sky Poker. That is by design, not accident, Sky Poker have a "No-Go" policy about such things.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    I think i prefer me aussie rules champ but whatever is fine :)
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Mr Bus, No, neither will work on Sky Poker. That is by design, not accident, Sky Poker have a "No-Go" policy about such things.  
    Posted by Tikay10
     Hi Tikay, im way out of things when people talk about electronic devices
     but how can any computer programme help with poker ?
     You get 2 cards, then bet, call, raise or fold,
     I just may be old and silly but how on earth can any programme tell you what to do ?
     Does it say " hes bluffing " so raise ? or he has KK so fold ?
    Even after the flop, it doesn't need anything to tell you,  You hit hard or You missed
    or am I missing something ??
  • edited January 2015
    From what i can tell it just gives you the % of times the person makes a type of play like a c bet after the flop, if skmeone is cbetting 95% of the time you know hes bluffing a lot there are little things you can take from it
  • edited January 2015
    they are great tools for analysing your own game. you can see what hands aere losing you money, whether calling a particular range has been profitable. how often you have folded to limp-cbets etc etc. you can also look at whether hero calling 2nd pair to 3 barrels on A high boards has been a profitable line, and what hands have turned up at showdown etc etc.

there are sample size issues and you could never get a big enough sample to form concrete conclusions, but backed up with some theory you can really strip your game apart, and that of your opponents.

some coaching stables / reg groups  will have access to huge databases and this has enabled population analysis too. so some regs will have a good idea what average recs and regs do in certain situations etc etc. you can work a gameplan against those averages and adjust to particular villains

and yes the more common advantage is being able to see how often villains fold to 3bets, how often the cbet etc etc.

its revolutionised some games and what was considered 'correct' play even 2-3 years ago will be vastly different now partly due to these tools being used to discect lines /populations / actions and ranges.
  • edited January 2015
    Thats fine just wanted to make sure that was the case before i wasted any money on them while were here tikay can u reccomend any poker tutorial sites wether its just videos, and any books worth reading? I should probably start with poker for dummies :)
    Posted by RLT16
    Hi,

No, not really, they are not my thing, to be honest, & I'm not convinced of their value. They tell us how to play, but if we all played that way, there would be no advantage.  

I'd be more inclined to make use of the various boards in the Poker Clinic, you'll get some great advice in there.

I'd also "self-examine" as critically as possible.

What did I do wrong?

What did I do right, or well?

What could I have done differently?

Am I developing bad habits at the poker table?

I think you'll be fine. The players that need to worry are those that blame the software, or "bad calls by idiots". These are the guys that will usually do their money, as they blame everyone except themselves.

Good luck!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Question about PT and Holdem manager. :  Hi Tikay, im way out of things when people talk about electronic devices  but how can any computer programme help with poker ?  You get 2 cards, then bet, call, raise or fold,  I just may be old and silly but how on earth can any programme tell you what to do ?  Does it say " hes bluffing " so raise ? or he has KK so fold ? Even after the flop, it doesn't need anything to tell you,  You hit hard or You missed or am I missing something ??
    Posted by bludreid11
    Hi Bluey,

It does help them, because their little box of tricks gives then a potted history of how their opponent plays, how often he opens, from what position, his VPIP or c-Bet frequency, etc. It is definitely an aid to playing better against specific opponents.

Imagine this scenario.

We are playing a "LIVE" (not Online) 6 Max MTT.

3 of the players have a magic gizmo that tells them exactly how their opponent plays in given situations, a full potted history of how they play.

The other 3 don't have that gizmo.

How would we feel if we were one of the three without the magic gizmo? We'd feel disadvantaged, & we'd be disadvantaged.

Online, it's not cheating as such, because on most sites, these gizmos are permitted.

Sky Poker take the view that giving an advantage to some players is not how poker was intended to be played, so they don't permit their use.

With or without these gizmos, the better players will always win the most anyway. They will do better with the gizmo, yes, but they'll still win without them.