You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Can anyone get away from this?

edited January 2010 in Poker Chat
There are 17 left in a regualr MTT, the top 10 get paid.  This guy hadn't raised pre-flop since I've joined this table,  and he's got me covered, which is why I was reluctant to re-raise with my 10s.  I thought he must be beating me.  I elected to call and peel off a flop, and was ready to fold to any bet.  When he checked I was very suspicious and not sure what to put him on.  I don't think he would min raise pre-flop with just a good ace, I thought it must have been a high pair.  Maybe he's got KK and puts me on an A and is reluctant to bet?  Anway the turn looks a beautiful card for me.  When he raises me, I think he's just acting on my weakness, so I'm not too worried at this point, but when he re-re-re-raises me alram bells start going off in my head that he must have Qs full.  Even, so I couldn't get away, and busted out 7 off the money.  Is this a cooler, or does anyone feel they could have got away?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
ash1999 Small blind   150.00 150.00 3795.00
Wilhelm Big blind   300.00 450.00 9658.75
  Your hole cards

Hawes86 Fold        
DUKING Fold        
hennburger Raise   600.00 1050.00 11750.00
HUMBLE Fold        
ash1999 Fold        
Wilhelm Call   300.00 1350.00 9358.75
Flop

• A
  • A
  • Q

Wilhelm Check        
hennburger Check        
Turn

Wilhelm Bet   300.00 1650.00 9058.75
hennburger Raise   1762.50 3412.50 9987.50
Wilhelm Raise   3900.00 7312.50 5158.75
hennburger All-in   9987.50 17300.00 0.00
Wilhelm All-in   5158.75 22458.75 0.00
hennburger Unmatched bet   2391.25 20067.50 2391.25
Wilhelm Show

hennburger Show
  • Q
  • Q

River

hennburger Win Full House, Queens and Aces 20067.50   22458.75

Comments

• edited January 2010
    You could get away from this. However, it took me a couple of minutes to work it out so, on balance, with 15 seconds to act.... more cold decked than anything mate.
  • edited January 2010
    personally, I would have bet 2k on the flop, and then a reraise would make it easier to get away, checking the flop here makes it very hard to put him on a hand on the turn---with 2 aces and a queen, you really have to find out where you are asap---webbies still not around, so I can safely hope this helps--lol
  • edited January 2010
    You would have bet 2k, 20% of my stack, when the pot is less than 1 and a half k?
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Can anyone get away from this?:
    personally, I would have bet 2k on the flop, and then a reraise would make it easier to get away, checking the flop here makes it very hard to put him on a hand on the turn---with 2 aces and a queen, you really have to find out where you are asap---webbies still not around, so I can safely hope this helps--lol
    Posted by oynutter
    So if you bet the flop, and he calls, where are you?
    How does he play 99? JJ? 88? KsTs............

Betting to find out where you are is vastly overrated.

I think checking the flop is fine.

To get away from this, you would need some knowledge of the opponent - i.e. how he would play AJ, AK, KJ etc.. in this spot.
    Think my chips would be going into the middle. It's a 'sigh call'.

• edited January 2010

I would have gone 3/4 of the pot with my bet then the re-raise would let me know he was pretty commited. Looking at your read of a high pocket pair, the re-raise on your weak bet sort of let you knew that you were right, if you had a read for high pocket pair, an ace is on the board that your opponent is not scared of... then i think you could go with the decision here that his high pockets have improved. As the only cards that help the high pokects improve are the aces for quads or the queen for queens full then yes i beleive you could of got away from this, But only because you seem sure it's a pocket and not a raise in position with a KJ type hand that could of improved but you would be crushing

• edited January 2010
    i think weak play got you in to trouble in this hand but saying that your going broke alot of the time here, im 3 betting pre flop with this hand, i think calling oop with a med pp is very bad, if i have him as tight id prolly lay it down to a 4 bet but if he just calls i think its game over unless he reraise me on the flop
  • edited January 2010
    I think the only way you could get away from this was your read on the opponent. You pretty much described him as a nit and certainly someone not likely to start shoving all his chips in the middle without the near nuts.

I too don't mind your check on the flop. I think once the ten comes down on the turn though, the only way your getting away from this is when he 3 bets you on the turn all in. You've got to think that this type of player ( someone who hasn't played a hand forever) could have you beat.

The only decision then is can you fold and still make the money? By the look of it you would have had 5100 chips left at that point if you folded with blinds at 150/300. 17 bb's is enough but I certainly don't blame you for calling, I probably would of done the same with your hand, especially with about 10 seconds to act.

To be honest though I was in a similar spot last week when I was close to the money and the big stack raised utg. He was a tight player and i had pocket nines. I was tempted to shove but decided to fold. I didn't want to call as it was a fifth of my stack and i knew i wasn't going any further unless i flopped a set. Maybe just chucking your tens pre was the only way you were getting away from it when it turned out like this.

Salazar
  • edited January 2010
    i think weak play got you in to trouble in this hand but saying that your going broke alot of the time here, im 3 betting pre flop with this hand, i think calling oop with a med pp is very bad, if i have him as tight id prolly lay it down to a 4 bet but if he just calls i think its game over unless he reraise me on the flop
    Posted by N1CK
    I don't think it's weak play, I think it's thoughtful play.  If that 10 had'nt come down I would have lost the minimum.  I'm unlucky that the guy QQs is the table leader.
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Can anyone get away from this? : I don't think it's weak play, I think it's thoughtful play.  If that 10 had'nt come down I would have lost the minimum.  I'm unlucky that the guy QQs is the table leader.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    its all ifs and buts and maybes, what if you had 88? would you play it the same way?
  • edited January 2010
    You would have bet 2k, 20% of my stack, when the pot is less than 1 and a half k?
    Posted by Wilhelm
    I would--because 20% of your your stack is not your whole stack---and if you get reraised here, you can fold, and still have a good chance of cashing
  • edited January 2010
    Just to back you up mate..

Don't think Im getting away from that...infact I know Im not getting away from that.

You've played the hand correctly in my opinion man. Like others said if you bet on the flop he is only going to flat call so wouldn't know where the eff you are. However if you was too bet on flop and he flat called then the 10 comes on turn your pushing anyway hoping he has just hit a set of A on flop.

Extremely hard to get away from man, just unlucky.
  • edited January 2010
    I think the only way you could of got away from the hand is if your time bar run out before you hit the shove button
    You were in the right place at the wrong time just very unlucky.

Good luck and let us know when you get your revenge. lol

Dave

• edited January 2010

im not good enough to get away there, he could have trips or the straight... to me its a cooler.

I assume you were set mining with the TT by flatting OOP and checking the flop so you hit your house on the turn and i really think its just a cooler tbh.

• edited January 2010
    Zeebo says you're not getting away here.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the input guys.  I think the amount of times my read is off might justify the call.  Btw deadluck, that would have been the second full house that I folded today.  I had pocket 6s and the flop came J J 6.  The turn and river were 10s, and I had slowplayed a bit too much so there was 4 way action on the river and I had to fold.
  • edited January 2010
    Thanks for the input guys.  I think the amount of times my read is off might justify the call.  Btw deadluck, that would have been the second full house that I folded today.  I had pocket 6s and the flop came J J 6.  The turn and river were 10s, and I had slowplayed a bit too much so there was 4 way action on the river and I had to fold.
    Posted by Wilhelm
    Just to clarify my first post Wilhelm, I wouldn't of got away from that hand and my post wasn't to sugest you should have. I would have looked at the range and decided i was ahead of more of his range than i was behind and stacked off to him. i only say you COULD of got away as you seem to know he's on the high pocket and have a great read on him. I think you make a good point " the amount of times my read is off might justify the call" and i wasn't saying you played it wrong :)