You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Excel Help...

edited February 2015 in Poker Chat

It’s no great secret that where Microsoft packages are concerned, Word is my bag whereas Excel frustrates me (ironic because I work in the financial industry and I have to use the latter every day).

Is there a way I can overtype 17* into a cell containing the number 10, hit enter/return, and have the value in the cell change to 27? I know that I can have a separate column which can do the addition for me, but can I eliminate that and simply do the sum in the one cell? I’m not sure if I’m explaining what I mean… another sad irony, because I’m a writer! ;)

Google has not been my friend on this matter.

*numbers used are for example purposes only.

Comments

• edited January 2015

there is a short answer and a long answer...

• edited January 2015

the short answer is, "no."

• edited January 2015

the long answer is, "nooooooooooooooooooo."

• edited January 2015
    Both of those answers suck.
  • edited January 2015
    What problem are you trying to solve this way?

Always better to have the original number and the additional number available separately for auditing purposes/error checking even if you do only want to display the running total.
  • edited January 2015
    Sounds like a 2 sheet solution.

1 sheet with individual scores with a 2nd sheet that auto totals them up.
  • edited January 2015

the best way to achieve this is to use two cells.  cell a1 is the new number cell a2 is the running total.  then you can copy paste special a1 and add values to a2. 

to make things easier you can use a button and assign a macro for this action.

• edited January 2015
    I thought this was POKER CHAT!!!!!!!!!!!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Excel Help...:
    Posted by bartoniron
    Thanks for your valuable contribution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you're not aware Slip did an excellent Main/Mini Learderboard last year and probably wants to simplify it for this year.
    So it is about Poker
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Excel Help... : Thanks for your valuable contribution !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you're not aware Slip did an excellent Main/Mini Learderboard last year and probably wants to simplify it for this year. So it is about Poker
    Posted by VespaPX
    Thanks, Mick.

And yeah.
  • edited January 2015
    So you are his official mouthpiece are you? Is he not capable of speaking for himself ? Saying it is about poker when you have no evidence is an interesting concept. especially when you use the word probably in such an authoratative manner. 
  • edited January 2015
    So you are his official mouthpiece are you? Is he not capable of speaking for himself ? Saying it is about poker when you have no evidence is an interesting concept. especially when you use the word probably in such an authoratative manner. 
    Posted by bartoniron
    What's the issue? He's correct, as it happens.
  • edited January 2015
    Posted by bartoniron
    Can you help or not?
  • edited January 2015
    Might be educating grandmother on the art of dentureless ovum consumption, but...

do you know you can sum through sheets, if Sheet1 is the front running total sheet and say for example sheets2-366 were daily results.

Cells in Sheet1 , e.g. c3 could be  =SUM(Sheet2:Sheet366!c3)

a) you probably knew that
    b) probably doesn't solve your problem

at least it might help someone on this new Excel worktips thread
  • edited January 2015
    Posted by bartoniron
    33 posts in total and this is your contribution. Brilliant!
  • edited January 2015
    Might be educating grandmother on the art of dentureless ovum consumption, but... do you know you can sum through sheets, if Sheet1 is the front running total sheet and say for example sheets2-366 were daily results. Cells in Sheet1 , e.g. c3 could be  =SUM(Sheet2:Sheet366!c3) a) you probably knew that b) probably doesn't solve your problem at least it might help someone on this new Excel worktips thread
    Posted by Phantom66
    I actually didn't know that, but I tried it and it does work.

Is there a way I can add a daily tab and Excel would be able to pull the points across to the running one, including new names etc?
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Slippy.

If I understand you correctly, then the easiest way is......

Click on the cell with "10" in it & type =10+17 then hit the "Enter" button, the cell then becomes 27.

Any good?

It becomes slightly more complicated though if you already have a formula in that cell.

Usually I would use a column/cell for each number as below......

If Cell A1 value is 10 & Cell B1 value is 17 we can add our formula so cell C1 shows the total using the formula below.

Highlight Column C then type =A1+B1 and ENTER......
    if cell A1 =10 & cell B1 =17 Cell C1 will now show the total as 27.

• edited January 2015
    Maybe your question has been already answered (as im too lazy to read the replies).

Not 100% clear on your query but maybe this might help or maybe I misunderstood your question.

Place 10 in cell A1

Place the value you want to add it to in cell a2 (in this case 17)
    Place the formula =a2+$a$1 in cell b2  
    change the value (ie 17) in each row in column A ....so 17 can become 18 in cell a3 and 18 in cell a4
    Double click on bottom right corner of cell b2 to pull the formula down.

Your question really depends on what cell value remains constant (ie is it the 10 or the 17)

Hopefully this is useful!

• edited January 2015
    Ah probably no good what I posted as Ive read more.

So are you saying you will have a list of names and pts and this list of names will change each week with additional pts.
    So week 1 results, week 2 results, week 3 results etc and you  just want to enter week 4 results on 1 tab and automically another tab will update displaying the totals and placing them in the correct order?

Ger
  • edited January 2015
    Ah probably no good what I posted as Ive read more. So are you saying you will have a list of names and pts and this list of names will change each week with additional pts. So week 1 results, week 2 results, week 3 results etc and you  just want to enter week 4 results on 1 tab and automically another tab will update displaying the totals and placing them in the correct order? Ger
    Posted by gerardirl
    That would be perfect, but I am not sure it's entirely possible.
  • edited January 2015
    It  should be possible....email me the document and I will mail it back to you if you wish.

I will private message you my email.

What version of excel do you have? 2003? 2010?

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Excel Help...:
    It’s no great secret that where Microsoft packages are concerned, Word is my bag whereas Excel frustrates me (ironic because I work in the financial industry and I have to use the latter every day).   Is there a way I can overtype 17* into a cell containing the number 10, hit enter/return, and have the value in the cell change to 27? I know that I can have a separate column which can do the addition for me, but can I eliminate that and simply do the sum in the one cell? I’m not sure if I’m explaining what I mean… another sad irony, because I’m a writer! ;)   Google has not been my friend on this matter.     *numbers used are for example purposes only.
    Posted by Slipwater
    Let's say the column of numbers you want to add to are in Column D.

1. Open your Excel spreadsheet
    2. On the sheet with your data in Right Click the sheet name (probably Sheet1) and click View Code
    3. In the window that opens paste the following:

Option Explicit
    Dim addValue As Variant

Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
        If Selection.Count = 1 Then
            If Not Intersect(Target, Range("D:D")) Is Nothing Then
               addValue = InputBox("Enter a value to Add:")
               ActiveCell.Value = ActiveCell.Value + addValue
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

4. Close the Visual Basic window that you just pasted this code into (no need to save it)
    5. Click on any value in Column D and it will ask you for a value
    6. Enter a value and press enter

7. Magic happens

In the part above where it says Range("D:D") you can alter that to any column you choose.
  • edited January 2015
    Brian let me know if what machka explained works and if not I will look at it tomorrow.

I cant download your attachment as my excel is too old but I can get access to 2010 version.

• edited January 2015
    Actually try what I sent you now...might be easiest option.

Good luck!
  • edited January 2015

if this is just a matter of retaining your formatting so you don't have formula column c = col a + col b, it could be done using a macro.

as an example, you could have your existing data in col a and enter the data to be added in col b. the macro would then add the two sets of numbers together, replace the values in column a with the new totals and remove the data from col b.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Excel Help... : I actually didn't know that, but I tried it and it does work. Is there a way I can add a daily tab and Excel would be able to pull the points across to the running one, including new names etc?
    Posted by Slipwater
    yes to this as well. this would also need a macro to find new player names and to create a new workbook by copying all daily sheets into a new workbook, removing all duplicated entries and then and using vlookup commands to populate historical data.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Excel Help... : I actually didn't know that, but I tried it and it does work. Is there a way I can add a daily tab and Excel would be able to pull the points across to the running one, including new names etc?
    Posted by Slipwater
    In Response to Re: Excel Help... : yes to this as well. this would also need a macro to find new player names and to create a new workbook by copying all daily sheets into a new workbook, removing all duplicated entries and then and using vlookup commands to populate historical data.
    Posted by mac24

There are ways of doing this kind of thing using the sort and filter commands, you can also use some of the advance formula stuff to cut out some of the manual work and full automation would probably need a macro but is doable.

I would consider myself an intermediate at Excel - If there is an advanced user/guru out there its probably a fairly simple job for them - I'm in the could probably figure it out but would take a while camp.

If Ger is already sorting for you then great. 

GL

• edited January 2015
    Thanks for all the help so far, folks. A lot of this has been invaluable.
  • edited January 2015
    You can do pretty much anything with VBA code, I've found it really useful to learn some VBA commands just by googling for certain operations, then adapting the script for my needs.

Surprised you used to do this all manually!
  • edited January 2015
    You can do pretty much anything with VBA code, I've found it really useful to learn some VBA commands just by googling for certain operations, then adapting the script for my needs. Surprised you used to do this all manually!
    Posted by bbMike
    Yeah, well... I have to do a lot of things manually these days.