You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat
Good afternoon everyone.
As a low level mtt player i have noticed a lot of abuse in the chatbox, some directed towards me, i either dont respond or thank them.
But other the last 2 months have been watching and sometimes railing the bigger buyin tournaments, and have  not noticed any abusive chat, some light hearted banter, this puzzled me as someone losing a few pounds and sometimes even in freerolls seem to be more upset than some losing maybe £100+.
Also was talking to someone in chatbox a few days ago and said they have been getting badbeats because they withdrew money out of their account, i thought they were joking i explained the reason i think that that happens is you win a tournament , and you suddenly think you are abetter player than what you actually are.
All the best
Rainman397
P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK.

Comments

• edited January 2015
    hi rainman mate dont let it bother u. abuse doesnt happan in bigger games beacsue there use to swings in poker. and all about if u do the right thing it doesnt matter about the result. abuse normally happans at smaller buy ins as there are inexperiance or playing with there last money. the best way is just to ignory them and play u own game its u money u playing with play ur game. if we all played the same way poker would be boring. gl at tables mate.
  • edited January 2015
    Good afternoon RSPCA.
    Thank you for the reply, the abuse does not  worry or upset me, just puzzled by the abuse over a few quid.
    Congratulations on your recent successes, it was an education to watch you at the tables.
     Would consider it a huge honour if a player of your calibre could spare an afternoon to participate in the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack.
    All the best
    Rainman397.
  • edited January 2015
    i will playit mate when i csn spare the time i would plat it today but missed the start time. ive been realy luck recalanty but thank u there much for u support.
  • edited January 2015
    You gotta be careful what you say in the £2.20 @ 2.20..... ;)
  • edited January 2015

Hi Rainman

I mentioned to you a problem I had last week in your fine tournie.

Certain words are just not acceptable, you suggested I report the matter,

but not really my style. 

Ignore or report I carn't think of any other viable options.

Any better ideas out there.

Daggers

• edited January 2015
    respond politely 
    tends to drive these dimwits mental

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX:
    Hi Rainman I mentioned to you  a problem I had last week in your fine tournie. Certain words are just not acceptable, you suggested I report the matter, but not really my style.  Ignore or report I carn't think of any other viable options. Any better ideas out there. Daggers
    Posted by daggers747
    If you want to keep the site as a nice environment to play in (which in the main it is) , then the only option you have is to report it.
  • edited January 2015
    Definitely more abuse in lower games than higher ones as they don't understand the game. Think they will deposit a few quid and make millions. When it doesn't go their way they get frustrated. I just give them banter back, try and make them laugh with some light hearted abuse back at them. They soon go quite then.
  • edited January 2015
    Hi rainman, Yes there is very little abuse at the higher levels and a suprising amount at the lower levels. I thinkrspca is probably correct in that the higher stakes playersaccept bad beats more because they are more experienced at being on the receiving end of bad beats, and also realise that all you can ever do is get it in good. You cannot win a MTT without being lucky somewhere along the line and more experienced players know this. How you handle the abuse at the tables is up to the individual. I tend to thank them, agree with them, praise them on their insight. Sometimes I even try to explain that I did not call all in preflop with KK hoping to hit a K. No I actually thought it might be the best hand until your AA shown up. Indeed I would not have called had I known. I tend to view this as a bit of banter by me. Sometimes I just ignore it if I am not in the mood, but the most important thing of all is, you must not allow it to annoy or bother you in any way as that is what they are trying to do. Report it if you want, if it bothers you then definitely report it as it is spoiling your enjoyment.

Yes I have played in the £2-20 @ 2-20, and I have also won it before.
  • edited January 2015
    Good afternoon all.
    My preference is like geldy,s we are all grown ups and a little bit of abuse is not going to hurt you.
    Respond politely to said abuser and they go off the richter scale which is exactly what you want to happen.
    Been married for over 20 years so am used to abuse.
    If we report every incident players will be banned for minor incursions, Hhy got recently banned for just having friendly banter at the table, which i was also sat at, and was shocked to hear he was chat banned for banter.
    They did reverse the ban once they realised it was wrong to ban him, and player he was meant to have abused was not even the complaint.
    If you go out with a group of friends i can guarntee abuse will fly around .
    My op was not against chatbox abuse but just puzzles me that even in freerolls players get so upset,
    Whilst in major tournaments for £1000s everyone seems to just enjoy the game.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited January 2015
    Good afternoon all.
    By responding to this post you have all been put on the £2.20 @2.20 deepstack mailing list.
    All the best
    Rainman397
  • edited January 2015
    I think there are 2 main types.

young players who like to play aggressively and then moan when you look them up with middle pair and they show 93 and abuse you for being a station, obviously if they had it then you are in for a bunch of abuse and if you suck out on them then floodgates really do open.

The other type is usually more mature in years, but arrogant and think they know it all and abuse "inferior play" how could you call my x4 raise with 67s? You want to tell them that because a) They are playing fit/fold poker post flop and happy to take them on with any 2 in position and b) we are deep and suited connectors give plenty of options to bust you if you do have a premium hand.

I generally prefer the ignore approach.

Sometimes I may be in a playful mood, "yup that's me a complete fish" , or "oh really you mean that was a bad play by me? Sorry new to this should I have just folded? Thanks for the help".

Personal and offensive remarks I generally do get involved and will report if it is not resolved amicably in the chat box.

Obviously context and common sense play a part too.
  • edited January 2015

in response to chatbox abuse, i have in the past typed....

a player's propensity to be abusive is inversely proportionate to their skill and of a magnitude that is consistent with their lack of understanding of probability

if that failed and seeing more abuse.. i just riffle their chips

• edited January 2015
    in response to chatbox abuse, i have in the past typed.... a player's propensity to be abusive is inversely proportionate to their skill and of a magnitude that is consistent with their lack of understanding of probability if that failed and seeing more abuse.. i just riffle their chips
    Posted by aussie09
    thought you were slipwater there with all them big words your avatar looks like him too ;-)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX : thought you were slipwater there with all them big words your avatar looks like him too ;-)
    Posted by stokefc
    HEY!
  • edited January 2015
    Good afternoon all. My preference is like geldy,s we are all grown ups and a little bit of abuse is not going to hurt you. Respond politely to said abuser and they go off the richter scale which is exactly what you want to happen. Been married for over 20 years so am used to abuse. If we report every incident players will be banned for minor incursions, Hhy got recently banned for just having friendly banter at the table, which i was also sat at, and was shocked to hear he was chat banned for banter. They did reverse the ban once they realised it was wrong to ban him, and player he was meant to have abused was not even the complaint. If you go out with a group of friends i can guarntee abuse will fly around . My op was not against chatbox abuse but just puzzles me that even in freerolls players get so upset, Whilst in major tournaments for £1000s everyone seems to just enjoy the game. All the best Rainman397
    Posted by rainman397

I find I have to watch myself when it comes to "banter" in the chatbox of late for this very reason <sighs of relief all round> I'm just never sure if the other players will get that it's "Black Comedy" not abuse. Sad really.

Oh, has anyone mentioned the 2.20@2.20 today... :)
  • edited January 2015
    F the lot of em. They obv have anger issues.......it makes me sooooo mad!
  • edited January 2015
    Generally, I don't use the chat box much. It tends to be used a lot by the immature, the inadequate & the attention seekers.

There is some chat that can be fun but I generally have it turned off to avoid the banality.

Off to put my tin hat on.
  • edited January 2015
    5toneface might want to read this.
  • edited January 2015
    Good afternoon Samantha.
    I have been on a table with Hhy and witnessed the banter between you both and was in stitches it made the game very enjoyable, it was the main reason i joined the outlaws.
    All the best.
    Rainman397
    P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK  In Response to Re: ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX:
    In Response to Re: ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX : I find I have to watch myself when it comes to "banter" in the chatbox of late for this very reason <sighs of relief all round /> I'm just never sure if the other players will get that it's "Black Comedy" not abuse. Sad really. Oh, has anyone mentioned the 2.20@2.20 today... :)
    Posted by samantha25
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX : I find I have to watch myself when it comes to "banter" in the chatbox of late for this very reason <sighs of relief all round /> I'm just never sure if the other players will get that it's "Black Comedy" not abuse. Sad really. Oh, has anyone mentioned the 2.20@2.20 today... :)
    Posted by samantha25
    Sam I'm sure all the regs are familiar with your chat style and take it in the spirit it's meant but for a newbie it could be misinterpreted.
     For what it's worth any chat abuse that criticises my poker or uses bad language I can live with as it usually happens when I win a hand against them, but anything that is too personal racist or homophobic then I have no hestitaion in reporting.
  • edited January 2015
    Good afternoon Samantha. I have been on a table with Hhy and witnessed the banter between you both and was in stitches it made the game very enjoyable, it was the main reason i joined the outlaws. All the best. Rainman397 P.S HAS ANYONE MENTIONED THE £2.20 @2.20 DEEPSTACK  In Response to Re: ABUSE IN THE CHATBOX :
    Posted by rainman397

Eve Sir Rainman :) 

Very glad you joined us, and it goes to show you only need a GSOH to understand banter from abuse. 

Some people take things to heart, and there is no need... even if I see something untoward in the chatbox I generally shug it off and think loser ;) 

GL my love and bump for the 2.20 ;)

Oh Dale, Have you completed yr lashings yet? or do you need help ha!