You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Comments

• edited January 2015
    This worries me!
  • edited January 2015
    American psychiatry worries me more
  • edited January 2015
    DTM dont worry too much about the writings of someone who buys into expensive unproven psuedo scientific fads, or someone who believes that jared tendler "literally rewired"  his brain. 

It maybe that 8hrs intense concentration is not good for you, and that 15 tablers all die of strokes before the age of age 50, but I doubt the effacicy of  this amens methods. 

Do your own research before worryjng yourself into expensive treatments sold by non-peer reviewed snake-oil salesmen.
  • edited January 2015

Something quite odd about this piece, which was first published 2 years ago.

Dusty & Jared have collaborated on sevral projects, & are close friends. Ihey appeared, together, as Guests on Ch 861 a few years back.

I have a feeling this was intended to be a headline-grabber, perhaps to help promote his new (at the time) sponsorship deal.

Parts of the article do resonate, but some of it just feels like hokum pokum.

"....I was told that if I choose to play online poker as a full time career, I will likely die of a stroke before the age of 50......"

Never seen a shred of evidence to justify that.

• edited January 2015
    sounds more like the stories of monsters that are told to kids to scare them into being good. this guy sounds like he was scr*wing up his life and needed some strong medicine. so what if it's only a placebo. until he starts writing about it .......
  • edited January 2015
    Surely tikay is living proof that this is not the case anyway, he multi tables and hes way over 50 ;) 
  • edited January 2015

. I began playing some golf and drinking/smoking pot way more than I ever had before. When I drank, it only took 1-2 drinks and I was already feeling completely amazing due to the compounding effects of the medication.

Does sound that 'poker' is being made the scapegoat in this story. I am sure his brain patterns and/or mood swings were more down to his lifestyle choices in indulging in drugs and alcohol.

• edited January 2015
    I can imagine that there are potential issues of concentrating hard on a screen all day.

Fatigue - eye strain etc, but not buying into the cause and effect claimed here.

Out of interest do multi-tabler grinders take regular breaks? Health and Safety advice for people who work at screens is to take a 5 min break each hour and look at something far away to give the eyes a rest.

Obviously MTT wise you have that opportunity built in - cash tables do you regularly sit out?

Perhaps Sky should enforce 5 min breaks in all formats 5 mins to the hour to protect the well being of its customers?
  • edited January 2015
    On-line gaming/video games are just a Government conspiracy to reduce the cost of an ageing population! :-)
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Multi-tabling & effect on brain:
    I can imagine that there are potential issues of concentrating hard on a screen all day. Fatigue - eye strain etc, but not buying into the cause and effect claimed here. Out of interest do multi-tabler grinders take regular breaks? Health and Safety advice for people who work at screens is to take a 5 min break each hour and look at something far away to give the eyes a rest. Obviously MTT wise you have that opportunity built in - cash tables do you regularly sit out? Perhaps Sky should enforce 5 min breaks in all formats 5 mins to the hour to protect the well being of its customers?
    Posted by Phantom66

I think its just about people using common sense really rather than the site imposing something like this on all formats. 
    Apparently our brain's only concentrate fully on something for an hour and a half, after that we start to drift so a 5/10 min break every 90 minutes is advised.