You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Finding your style

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat

Hi all

Interested to hear peoples stories on changing their style of play.

- Have you ever deliberately done this?

- What did you change?

- Did it work for you?

Just curious because some people naturally have a preferred style of players whereas others 'find' or develop it. Obviously some people change their style of play according to the situation, game or who they are playing against.

Sharing help advice and stories on this could help others.

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited January 2015
    interesting question. last year i specifically changed my style of play in hilo PLO8 dyms. i went from tight survival mode to loose aggro. then as others adapted to my new style it's been necessary to evolve it a few times. so i now have a few variants which i swap between depending on my mood and it is working. & if i may quote the great TK.

In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks?:
    In Response to Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : Morning Gelders, ...
     I'm perfectly happy for you to serial raise all day & night, & I never once complain, you do my work for me! Give me a table of raisers over a table of stations all day & twice on Sunday please. We shared 3 games last night, & both cashed in all three. LIKE. I, obviously, adapt my strategy for you,... You were, .... rampant , & I was very happy to stay out of your way whilst you busted all & sundry.   Don't think I can ever recall being 4 handed when one player - you in this case - had over 9,000 chips. Incred! 

You are chameleon like, the way you can change your game style so frequently & successfully. Great to see, different is good.  
    Posted by Tikay10

what is interesting is the why. it was following a chat with IrishRose who can play a little non-traditionally yet still get great results. and i thought why not experiment myself. and to do this i decided to try to play with an opposite style to my usual one and, well the rest is history.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: Finding your style:
    interesting question. last year i specifically changed my style of play in hilo PLO8 dyms. i went from tight survival mode to loose aggro. then as others adapted to my new style it's been necessary to evolve it a few times. so i now have a few variants which i swap between depending on my mood and it is working. & if i may quote the great TK. In Response to  Re: Can an old dog learn new tricks? : what is interesting is the why. it was following a chat with IrishRose who can play a little non-traditionally yet still get great results. and i thought why not experiment myself. and to do this i decided to try to play with an opposite style to my usual one and, well the rest is history.
    Posted by GELDY

Interesting point.

Sometimes people play in an 'unconventional' way deliberately to confuse their opponents and then use it to their advantage. Opponents are often too eager to call someone a 'fish' based on one or two hands, even though it can be quite the opposite - they are thinking strategically.

• edited January 2015
    My readless strat v reg is wildly different to that v recs. But in both cases i am much more passive and much looser in certain spots than i was when i started out playing.

Found some old vids i made of my play a few years ago. Far too nitty pre and post and cbet WAY too often.
  • edited January 2015

One of my best mates taught me the game a few years ago, so naturally I initially picked up his style. As I progressed more, I gradually shook off what I had got from him and found my own (woeful) style.

This was really hammered home on new years eve; we were playing some hyper turbos on that big site before heading into town. We basically disagreed on most key decisions. He very much plays the maths (he'a an accountant) whereas I think we can sometimes let maths go out the window in certain situations. The key one was the following...

We were fast approaching the money in a $75 hyper turbo. Sitting on maybe 12bb but we were actually above average. We have A3o in the SB, late position jams for about half our stack. I felt it was a clear fold as we're slightly ahead or way behind, and its a very damaging to us if we lose the hand, plus we've just been through the blinds if we let it go. He was adamant that because we are ahead of his range (which I obvs agreed on), then we had 60% equity and simply had to call.

Not being results orientated but we lost the hand and we are not friends anymore ;)

So yes, I digress but I imagine most people will change their style of play at some point, even just subtle changes.

What I think is important, however, is to be able to adapt to any table we might get drawn on.

• edited January 2015

An interesting topic but surely the question is flawed...

Should it be possible for other players to attribute a style to you? Surely you should be capable of adapting the way you play according to the way the other players at the table are performing. If it is possible for your opponents to make statements like..."bit tight", "sees too many flops", "raises around the button every time", "always three bets the big blind", "tends to call on the river too much" then you are surely not playing very well and you need to think about adapting (changing your style maybe).

Isn't the key to being a tough opponent being hard to categorise? If you can make yourself unpredictable then you are dangerous.
  • edited January 2015
    One of my best mates taught me the game a few years ago, so naturally I initially picked up his style. As I progressed more, I gradually shook off what I had got from him and found my own (woeful) style. This was really hammered home on new years eve; we were playing some hyper turbos on that big site before heading into town. We basically disagreed on most key decisions. He very much plays the maths (he'a an accountant) whereas I think we can sometimes let maths go out the window in certain situations. The key one was the following... We were fast approaching the money in a $75 hyper turbo. Sitting on maybe 12bb but we were actually above average. We have A3o in the SB, late position jams for about half our stack. I felt it was a clear fold as we're slightly ahead or way behind, and its a very damaging to us if we lose the hand, plus we've just been through the blinds if we let it go. He was adamant that because we are ahead of his range (which I obvs agreed on), then we had 60% equity and simply had to call. Not being results orientated but we lost the hand and we are not friends anymore ;) So yes, I digress but I imagine most people will change their style of play at some point, even just subtle changes. What I think is important, however, is to be able to adapt to any table we might get drawn on.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

NO WAY!!!!

Jeez!!!

#BuildingBridges FTW!!

;)
  • edited January 2015
     An interesting topic but surely the question is flawed...  Should it be possible for other players to attribute a style to you? Surely you should be capable of adapting the way you play according to the way the other players at the table are performing. If it is possible for your opponents to make statements like..."bit tight", "sees to many flops", "raises around the button every time", "always three bets the big blind", "tends to call on the river too much" then you are surely not playing very well and you need to think about adapting (changing your style maybe).  Isn't the key to being a tough opponent being hard to categorise?
    Posted by NChanning
    I Agree Neil..

That What  I have been working on for 4 Years

Some say I'm Unorthadox, others[Most], say Im S.hit.e!!

Maybe 'Betwixt & Between' to quote from Peter Pan!!

...but thanks, i think your post explains it.