You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How soon to take note?

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat

How soon do you make notes on a player?

Is it dangerous to see someone play one bad hand and then instantly write a note on them? - especially as people could be trying to portray that image.

If so, how long / many hands to you 'normally' take?

Also, do you update your notes on people regularly?

Comments

• edited January 2015
    For a new player - as soon as I see a showdown I will try and note something and just from betting patterns I will at least mentally tag them loose/tight passive/aggressive. 

After a couple of orbits I will colour code a player based on my perception of their standard - not their style.

I use Red/Amber/Green.

Red is very solid and adaptive - Yellow is pretty good but shown expoitable weaknesses - Green weak and very exploitable.

I use the notes to comment on style - starting ranges - situations when they trap - river bet sizing meaning and reaction to river bets etc.

Have to be careful and adjust notes, especially in my prefered 6max tables as some players (and indeed all of the good ones) adapt as the blinds go up or in reaction to how others are playing.

I probably do need to a better structure for them though but  at least in 6 max you get plenty of time to read your notes.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: How soon to take note?:
    For a new player - as soon as I see a showdown I will try and note something and just from betting patterns I will at least mentally tag them loose/tight passive/aggressive.  After a couple of orbits I will colour code a player based on my perception of their standard - not their style. I use Red/Amber/Green. Red is very solid and adaptive - Yellow is pretty good but shown expoitable weaknesses - Green weak and very exploitable. I use the notes to comment on style - starting ranges - situations when they trap - river bet sizing meaning and reaction to river bets etc. Have to be careful and adjust notes, especially in my prefered 6max tables as some players (and indeed all of the good ones) adapt as the blinds go up or in reaction to how others are playing. I probably do need to a better structure for them though but  at least in 6 max you get plenty of time to read your notes.
    Posted by Phantom66

Interesting, thank you.
  • edited January 2015
    Various 4 letters words are all you need for notes, usually after one hand, in my experience :)
  • edited January 2015
    If you have a good read on what the population generally does then you can draw really good reads using bayesian statistics within a few hands.

So, say, if the recreational population when checked to on the button of a 6max mtt open 60% of hands, with a standard deviation of 15% ( so some open 75%, some 45% but very few lie outside those boundaries) and villlain folds the first two unopened pots on his button  then our best estimate is that he opens 46% of buttons in this situation. We can say with some confidence that he is not opening 80% of buttons.

There are bayesian calculators freely available on the web. Play around with them andnyou can get more accurate estimates with fewer hands against villains.
  • edited January 2015
    Various 4 letters words are all you need for notes, usually after one hand, in my experience :)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

GONE BUST?
  • edited January 2015
    If you have a good read on what the population generally does then you can draw really good reads using bayesian statistics within a few hands. So, say, if the recreational population when checked to on the button of a 6max mtt open 60% of hands, with a standard deviation of 15% ( so some open 75%, some 45% but very few lie outside those boundaries) and villlain folds the first two unopened pots on his button  then our best estimate is that he opens 46% of buttons in this situation. We can say with some confidence that he is not opening 80% of buttons. There are bayesian calculators freely available on the web. Play around with them andnyou can get more accurate estimates with fewer hands against villains.
    Posted by TeddyBloat
    Somebody swallowed a maths book!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: How soon to take note? : Somebody swallowed a maths book!
    Posted by Slykllist
    Or is sleeping with Carol Vorderman.
  • edited January 2015
    meh.

racheal riley, innit
  • edited January 2015
    I started answereing this, then forgot what the OP was... went back, did it again, deleted.... and forgot again!!

Oh, lots of notes me, most say 4 letter words too :)