You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

No thank you?

edited January 2015 in Poker Chat

Hi

One to discuss...

You occasionally hear of stories (most often in live cash games) that some people are not welcome because they are 'bad for the game' - most likely because they are too good / win too much or might be considered as only wanting to play bad players.

Do you agree with this?

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks
Sky Poker

Comments

• edited January 2015

Is part of it not how players play at the table. Rec players want to have an enjoyable time so if players are "bad winners" then they are bad for the game as the rec players wont be having a good time if they are told how bad they are playing/made to feel inferior etc.

• edited January 2015

+1 much rather see a polite fantastic player than a mouthy fish pull up a seat.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: No thank you?:
    Is part of it not how players play at the table. Rec players want to have an enjoyable time so if players are "bad winners" then they are bad for the game as the rec players wont be having a good time if they are told how bad they are playing/made to feel inferior etc.
    Posted by MattBates

This could certainly happen too, guess we were more thinking about how they could be considered as 'protecting' players or the game.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to No thank you?:
    Hi One to discuss... You occasionally hear of stories (most often in live cash games) that some people are not welcome because they are 'bad for the game' - most likely because they are too good / win too much or might be considered as only wanting to play bad players. Do you agree with this? What are the pros and cons? Thanks Sky Poker
    Posted by Sky_Poker
    We can never hate on a player who is by their very nature trying to play as well as he can and be as successful as possible when playing the game.

It just so happens that table selection is thee most important and the building blocks of a successful winning strategy.
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to No thank you? : We can never hate on a player who is by their very nature trying to play as well as he can and be as successful as possible when playing the game. It just so happens that table selection is thee most important and the building blocks of a successful winning strategy.
    Posted by yuranASSet

Why do you think some people do it?
  • edited January 2015
    Why do people take swipes at others who table select carefully? A couple of reasons I believe. Ignorance of strategy! Some players just don't fully understand it. They've not yet reached that point where their ready to take their game to the next level.  But their are players who do fully understand it but still take swipes. I put this down to natures compulsion to feed that ego. "He'll sit with the fish but he won't sit with me, I'm better than him". Something I believe that is very detrimental to that successful winning strategy. But poker players at any level are wrought with strategical and tactical mistakes from time to time. You need to keep in check any possible edge though that maximises that profit. 
    Posted by yuranASSet

Sorry, we meant why do people who run the live games do it?

Not why do players select tables.

• edited January 2015
    We would like to think that nurturing the platform of what their setting up would be beneficial to them in the long run rather than having some shark steamroller the rec's constantly. 

Some platforms online operate the Micro Stake 'beginner only' tables which are only available to players who say have only signed up in the last 3 month. One would assume that it was to nurture their platform for the levels above. 

So it could be the same policy that the live platform rulers incorporate in order to grow their platform. 

Shark's will find games elsewhere and the operator's are protecting their investment.

I don't believe it's for ethical reasons.