You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

was i correct to jam or is he correct, i should have folded?

edited March 2015 in The Poker Clinic
having hit the 8 on the river he startings complaining right away that i played it badly.

in my view he himself didn't play it that good, this is the sort of board i'm thinking sets and straights are most certainly going to be reraising the flop as it's a one of them boards that has got so much value from all the hands possible.

having called the flop, i'm now thinking he's got Adxo, Axs, AJ, A10 or is perhps even bluffing an Ax two pair with his runner runner draw.

overall i'm thinking i most certainly will be calling and whilst i might be behind to A9 A8 or A7, i'm still ahead of the nut flush draws and TP+straight draw.

Even if i didn't raise i'm certainly not thinking of folding as the river can still give me a 9 or an 8 for the full house.
Airball Small blind   £0.05 £0.05 £22.30
craigcu12 Big blind   £0.10 £0.15 £26.61
  Your hole cards

yuranASSet Fold        
KINGKEV375 Fold        
Sir-Gary Fold        
swiper22 Fold        
Airball Raise   £0.25 £0.40 £22.05
craigcu12 Call   £0.20 £0.60 £26.41
Flop

Airball Bet   £0.60 £1.20 £21.45
craigcu12 Raise   £1.90 £3.10 £24.51
Airball Call   £1.30 £4.40 £20.15
Turn

• A

Airball Check        
craigcu12 Bet   £4.40 £8.80 £20.11
Airball Raise   £9.10 £17.90 £11.05
craigcu12 All-in   £20.11 £38.01 £0.00
Airball All-in   £11.05 £49.06 £0.00
craigcu12 Unmatched bet   £4.36 £44.70 £4.36
Airball Show
  • J

craigcu12 Show

River

craigcu12 Win Full House, 8s and 9s £43.30   £47.66

Comments

• edited January 2015
    ARE YOU REALLY WASTING MY TIME WITH THIS! PAYING HIM OFF LIKE YOUVE HAD THE BEST 10 MINS OF YOUR LIFE WITH HIM IN A CHEAP MOTEL!! FOLD MAN!!! LET IT GO!!!!
  • edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: was i correct to jam or is he correct, i should have folded?:
    ARE YOU REALLY WASTING MY TIME WITH THIS! PAYING HIM OFF LIKE YOUVE HAD THE BEST 10 MINS OF YOUR LIFE WITH HIM IN A CHEAP MOTEL!! FOLD MAN!!! LET IT GO!!!!
    Posted by TheDent1st
    well in another way, i could be saying, was i beaten by more than i thought?
  • edited January 2015
    You should deffo fold turn, and you should bet less than pot on the turn imo.

Again, think of relative hand strength, you've raise flop, full potted the turn, repping very strong, and he's clicked it back. If he'd jammed turn then there may be some arguement for saying he can have draws/worse etc but his clickback just screams of not wanting you to fold which = you're crushed.

Think we gotta work on the basis that we have 4 outs when he clicks it back on the turn so about 8% chance of getting there, so we're not getting the price to call his clickback and try to house up, even if we stack him 100% of the time.

Also, the range you're giving him to call the flop is way too narrow. You don't think he might call flop with T9, T8, KQdd, KJdd, KTdd, QJdd (etc), JJ, QQ, KK, AA, 78, 89, 79, pretty much any diamond combo in fact, pretty much any Tx, maybe even stuff like 76.
  • edited January 2015
    Ever thought about turning your chat off when playing?
  • edited January 2015

The turn bet is to big craig.

When he raises the turn - he's telling us loud and clear we are beat.

• edited January 2015
    In Response to Re: was i correct to jam or is he correct, i should have folded?:
    You should deffo fold turn, and you should bet less than pot on the turn imo. Again, think of relative hand strength, you've raise flop, full potted the turn, repping very strong, and he's clicked it back. If he'd jammed turn then there may be some arguement for saying he can have draws/worse etc but his clickback just screams of not wanting you to fold which = you're crushed. Think we gotta work on the basis that we have 4 outs when he clicks it back on the turn so about 8% chance of getting there, so we're not getting the price to call his clickback and try to house up, even if we stack him 100% of the time. Also, the range you're giving him to call the flop is way too narrow. You don't think he might call flop with T9, T8, KQdd, KJdd, KTdd, QJdd (etc), JJ, QQ, KK, AA, 78, 89, 79, pretty much any diamond combo in fact, pretty much any Tx, maybe even stuff like 76.
    Posted by Lambert180
    having review this hand in more detail, 79% of the cards remaining in the deck are scare cards, so not only do i face a great risk of hand beating me, i'll also have a high risk of being bluffed.

So as my hand will not have the same quantity of outs as a set has got, the raise is the last thing i want. so considering we have got lots of scare cards possible to come on the river, should i keep the pot small and gain my value on the turn through an attempted river bluff he might do with missed draws?
  • edited January 2015
    Flop raise is fine, just bet turn smaller and fold to this action.
  • edited March 2015
    What lambert said
  • edited March 2015
    Perhaps he shouldn't have waited for the turn card to reduce the risk of a diamond flush draw and increase the chance of a heart flush draw ? Also, if you check the turn to try to hide your hand strength, don't be surprised when they go and bet. I don't think it's great play to give people enough rope to hang yourself with.
    He led you up the garden path and you walked there. No foul. But hey, what do I know.
  • edited March 2015
    Basically +1 to what most others have said. One piece of advice I would offer is "keep it simple". To me this is one of the stickiest situations in poker, blind on blind, flop that smacks both blinds ranges, turn that makes it even worse. Even at the river I wouldn't be confident of having the best hand, A8, whilst unlikely, would raise the turn like that. There are far better situations to make money in my opinion.
  • edited March 2015
    i am literally never raising this flop unless i'm bluffing.  

I dont know what hands you think you want to play against through streets in a bloated pot.
  • edited March 2015
    i am literally never raising this flop unless i'm bluffing.   I dont know what hands you think you want to play against through streets in a bloated pot.
    Posted by AMYBR
    "Never raising this flop unless bluffing" this is not a good idea and do not take this advice ��

• edited March 2015
    Back up why you believe its bad "advice" if you please :p

FTR its not advice, am not saying he ought to do this, merely what my thought process would be.

So expand if you will.
  • edited March 2015
    Well if your only ever raising here as a bluff I can profitably exploit you easily
  • edited March 2015
    Well if your only ever raising here as a bluff I can profitably exploit you easily
    Posted by mrleemr1
    That much is true and I didnt quite mean it literally.

Am obv raising all high EQ hands but balancing with low eq hands as partial balance, but also because oppo has to be on a very specific range to continue vs multiple barrells.

So yes tbf you are right and i ought to have expanded what I meant.  

But range wise i'd rather raise this texture with junk than 2 pr as seen in the hand, as it is clear that 2pr ought to be close to the bottom of our value range. I would rather be happy to GII w high EQ hands, not bloat with hand as seen, or be selectively aggro with low EQ pure reps as we would be with the high EQ.  Just so hard for oppo to continue without top tier hands through streets.