You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£5 BH oddity

edited February 2015 in Tournament Strategy
Possibly a bit early position to be raising KJo but meh.

The guy in the BB insta-shoved the flop, which gave me the impression that he had decided on his move before the cards were dealt in some bizarre stop-and-go sort of play. He had taken one bounty so his head was worth £3.12(?)

The guy to act behind me had been choosing to see every flop but had been folding to a cbet every time. He only got his chips after calling an all in shove with a rag ace and doubling up.

With the BH dynamics, is this a call or fold?
PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
mohamedlee Small blind  40.00 40.00 5590.00
BBBig blind  80.00 120.00 2632.50
  Your hole cards
  • K
  • J

tennet007 Fold     
shakinaces Raise  240.00 360.00 2840.00
eddiesun26 Fold     
BUTTONCall  240.00 600.00 2725.00
mohamedlee Fold     
BBCall  160.00 760.00 2472.50
Flop

• J
  • Q

BBAll-in  2472.50 3232.50 0.00
shakinaces ????

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Fold.

And raise a little less pre IMO ;)
  • edited February 2015

I tend towards using 3x UTG and MP / 2.5x CO and BU as a standard at the 30/60 and 40/80 levels in BH because I'm wanting to build a pot (to make it easier to get all in).  2.25x / 2x raises normally come on at the 50/100 level and above.

Is 2x now the standard from even earlier in games?

• edited February 2015
    Yeah min raising entire range from every position here
  • edited February 2015
    My first thought was was raise less so glad i'm backed up. I do think you can make it 200 though if you want to make it larger to discourage it going multiway. It serves the same as a 240 but you save 40 chips which does add up. It also makes managing the pot that bit easier in relation to the size of your stack.
  • edited February 2015
    With your stack and from utg +1 playing KJo is a bit spewy in my opinion if you are going to play it personally a min raise is fine you want to try and see a flop as cheap as poss.
    A fold i think is the best option far better spots to find with a 39bb stack alot of the time you could find yourself walking into AK KQ...
  • edited February 2015
    Opening KJo is absolutely fine this deep from this position imo. In fact I'd say it's verging on mandatory in a £5 bh where the standard is pretty poor and you're guaranteed to get tons of people calling with all sorts of Kx and Jx hands that you crush. I would prob make it like 160-200 pre though, the smaller we keep the pots the more pots we can play/the more room we have postflop, and this is good for us cos most people in £5 BHs will be bad, so we wanna play as many pots as possible rather than a few big ones.

A caveat to that is obviously if you don't know how to play postflop well then you might get yourself in a mess postflop with marginal hands but you're easily good enough Shakin imo to be able to handle yourself in most situations that are gonna come up. Either way, it's far better to get in tricky spots and ask for advice on marginal post flop decisions than to just go in a shell and think 'I'm scared to play postflop so I'm just gonna wait for the nuts pre' cos you'll never get good by doing that.

Flop is a pretty trivial fold imo. He'd have to be a complete maniac with a history of just donk shoving flops with complete air to make a call here.
  • edited February 2015
    Hey Mike

What neil said, just fold this particular hand pre UTG, we can be easily dominated and have to fold facing a 3 bet.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £5 BH oddity:
    Hey Mike What neil said, just fold this particular hand pre UTG, we can be easily dominated and have to fold facing a 3 bet.
    Posted by LARSON7
    It's a £5 BH...

Hands that peel pre that dominate us..... AJ, KQ, maybe AK if they don't 3bet...

Hands that peel pre that we dominate.... KT, K9, K8, QJ, QT, Q9, Q8 (offsuit), if they got suited cards I wouldn't be surprised to get peeled by Q2s+ and K2s+.

If we open 33/A9o/Q9s, we prob have to fold to a 3bet too, it's not a reason to not open it.

And we aint UTG :p
  • edited February 2015
    FWIW the snap shove (and being in a gambling mood) leveled myself into calling... he had 77 and I rolled on.  Thanks all for the confirmation that the call is too spewy even for a BH.

re: KJo in MP

Rightly or wrongly, with a < 40bb stack I've gotten into the habit of removing small pairs, suited cards, connectors etc and opening any broadway combos instead... the theory being that with less post-flop room I'm happy to try and flop top pair or have overs to cbet bluff with.

I might well tighten right up if I'm at an obviously aggro table or have better players to my left, but given the prevalence to get callers in micro stakes games, aiming for top pair seems an OK strategy.

Obviously will need to refine that somewhat if/when I start playing £11-£22 or higher.
  • edited February 2015
    Yeah you got it spot on, with shallower stack depths and people peeling too much we want hands that flop TP often, which is why KJo is a clear open imo.

Fwiw though, 40bb is still vv deep in MTT, especially on Sky when there are no antes, so I'd still be opening 22+, stuff like 78s, J8s etc, the only time I wouldn't is if the table was super aggro so I wasn't getting to see many flops without being 3bet (but that's super rare). Although this is why I go smaller pre so we have more room for postflop play. It's makes a big difference down the streets... I don't think we should always bet 50% pot but for the sake of the example and to keep all factors the same...

Say we open to 240, button calls and everyone else folds. Pot is 600 (2 x 240 + SB + BB), we bet 300, get a call. Pot is now 1200, we bet 600, get a call. Pot is now 2400, half pot again = 1200 (we only have 1940 chips left before this bet fwiw). Unless we're really tight we aint always gonna have it so we're risking a huge chunk of our stack. We'll have put in 2340 in by the river if we went with this line

Same spot but we open to 160, button calls and everyone else folds. Pot is now 440 (2x 160 + SB + BB), we bet 220, get a call. Pot is now 880, we bet 440, get a call. Pot is 1760 on river and we bet 880.

In total we've put in 1700 chips in the 2nd example. That's 640 chips less (almost 10bb), or 20% of our stack, just cos we put 1 less big blind in pre.
  • edited February 2015
    Cant believe on a 6max table KJo UTG+1 off 40bb is considered anything other than a standard open.
  • edited February 2015
    Yeah you got it spot on, with shallower stack depths and people peeling too much we want hands that flop TP often, which is why KJo is a clear open imo. Fwiw though, 40bb is still vv deep in MTT, especially on Sky when there are no antes, so I'd still be opening 22+, stuff like 78s, J8s etc, the only time I wouldn't is if the table was super aggro so I wasn't getting to see many flops without being 3bet (but that's super rare). Although this is why I go smaller pre so we have more room for postflop play. It's makes a big difference down the streets... I don't think we should always bet 50% pot but for the sake of the example and to keep all factors the same... Say we open to 240, button calls and everyone else folds. Pot is 600 (2 x 240 + SB + BB), we bet 300, get a call. Pot is now 1200, we bet 600, get a call. Pot is now 2400, half pot again = 1200 (we only have 1940 chips left before this bet fwiw). Unless we're really tight we aint always gonna have it so we're risking a huge chunk of our stack. We'll have put in 2340 in by the river if we went with this line Same spot but we open to 160, button calls and everyone else folds. Pot is now 440 (2x 160 + SB + BB), we bet 220, get a call. Pot is now 880, we bet 440, get a call. Pot is 1760 on river and we bet 880. In total we've put in 1700 chips in the 2nd example. That's 640 chips less (almost 10bb), or 20% of our stack, just cos we put 1 less big blind in pre.
    Posted by Lambert180
    I'm not counter-arguing the 2x opens, I'm not daft enough to ignore the same advice from so many better players than me!

But FWIW this bit in red/bold was my thinking here until this thread - at these levels if I 3x pre then I can 1/2 pot flop and turn and leave myself with a less than pot shove on the river (from 40bb), which I had thought would give me the best option of a double up/picking up a bounty (assuming oppo has 36-40bb themselves obv)

The argument of getting to see more flops (from 2x) is more compelling though.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £5 BH oddity : I'm not counter-arguing the 2x opens, I'm not daft enough to ignore the same advice from so many better players than me! But FWIW this bit in red/bold was my thinking here until this thread - at these levels if I 3x pre then I can 1/2 pot flop and turn and leave myself with a less than pot shove on the river (from 40bb), which I had thought would give me the best option of a double up/picking up a bounty (assuming oppo has 36-40bb themselves obv) The argument of getting to see more flops (from 2x) is more compelling though.
    Posted by shakinaces
    I think it depends on your game as to what is best and normally over time your game improves and you have more experience playing down the streets (and therefore are more comfortable doing so). The more comfortable you are playing post flop will mean the more comfortable you will be min opening. Out of interest, do you vary your flop bet sizing based o board texture etc?
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £5 BH oddity : I'm not counter-arguing the 2x opens, I'm not daft enough to ignore the same advice from so many better players than me! But FWIW this bit in red/bold was my thinking here until this thread - at these levels if I 3x pre then I can 1/2 pot flop and turn and leave myself with a less than pot shove on the river (from 40bb), which I had thought would give me the best option of a double up/picking up a bounty (assuming oppo has 36-40bb themselves obv) The argument of getting to see more flops (from 2x) is more compelling though.
    Posted by shakinaces
    Yeah I get that theory and there is an argument for it, just it's not that often we're gonna have a hand strong enough to raise pre, bet, bet, shove and it be for value.

Also, against weaker opponents we're gonna win pots a lot more often than they do, so it's generally better (imo) to take a lower variance approach and be winning loads of small pots. Fwiw, that example is only based on him flatting all our bets, if he raises any street with our bigger sizing then we're totally stuck, commited to either getting it in or folding, and again when we're playing wide ranges we often won't be strong enough to GII
  • edited February 2015
    Cant believe on a 6max table KJo UTG+1 off 40bb is considered anything other than a standard open.
    Posted by MattBates
    Nearly all of us consider it a standard open. Just a select couple don't, eh Larson ;)
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £5 BH oddity : I think it depends on your game as to what is best and normally over time your game improves and you have more experience playing down the streets (and therefore are more comfortable doing so). The more comfortable you are playing post flop will mean the more comfortable you will be min opening. Out of interest, do you vary your flop bet sizing based o board texture etc?
    Posted by MattBates
    Probably less so when I'm sat with 40bb or less, but certainly as someone that plays cash 90% of the time I do mix my flop sizing about a bit based on texture (ie I'm not just mashing 'pot' on paired flops or rainbow A72 flops)

I don't think I've converted this anywhere near as well to MTT play yet, mind. Particularly toying about with less than 1/2 pot bets... this seems to be something often used by better players (I guess because there are more spots where people are playing with scared money and can be chased away from weak draws more easily as they try to protect their tournament life?)
  • edited February 2015
    Open is OFC standard and you're definitely correct in your line of thinking in opening hands that can flop strong TP's.

As for raise sizing - it's a £5 BH. We can adjust our raise sizing pre and not worry about being exploited. 3x with KJo is completely fine/standard IMO since our hand is going to be pretty easy to play post-flop.

Anyway, I've seen the results now but my initial thoughts are that it's pretty close. To those that have said this is an easy fold: what range are you putting villain on?

IMO, We can rule out AQ and better (probably KQ too) - These hands are almost always going to check and hope you bet. They don't feel too worried by being outdrawn OTT by one overcard. However, QT and below and they're worried if it checks behind and a K or A comes that they'll go behind - they like their hand now, but not enough to give a free card and so they jam. Then, there's Jx hands. Again, these hands think they might be best now - only one overcard, so they just jam and hope to win the pot there. And then there are the draws - T9 and KT.

I PPTd some scenarios, here's an example:

board: QsJh3c
    HandEquityWinsTies
    KdJc44.98%43,7436,925
    QT, Q9, Q8, Q7, JA, JT, J9, T9, KJ, KT55.02%54,2726,925
    OK, so villain might have more Qx suited in his range but I neglected to put any suits into PPT (too longhand) - I assumed they would call Q9o but fold Q8o and so the Q8 and Q7 combos should account for enough of the suited combos. With Jx I only go down to J9 since I feel people call with less Jx suited stuff than Qx suited. Plus, I neglected to add AQ and KQ combos even tho they might turn up with them some of the time, so adding too many hands worse than ours might skew the results.

Our equity is 45% so I think we might just have the required equity. Being a £5 BH there are going to be better spots tho and without a read to suggest villain might shove as wide as 77 here, I do agree that it's a fold. 77 is indeed a strange shove - I mean I can understand the fish mind-set of shoving J9 here but can't understand any logic in them shoving sevens! Oh well, NH :)
  • edited February 2015
    Ivan, surely you have to consider the person to act behind us? We cover them by like a BB so would decimate our tournament if they have flopped well/trapped us. Granted, facing 2 all ins there is only a couple of feasible holdings they can call with, but with them lurking I think our calling range has to be reasonably solid.

I actually think you can argue a call if we were closing the action as the shove just doesn't add up.
  • edited February 2015
    oops, completely missed that! NVM then, fold definitely correct!!