You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

One man and his gadgets on tour 2015

edited February 2017 in Poker Chat
I've been thinking about writing some sort of diary for a while now, not a results orientated breakdown of all the tournaments I play, but more of a biography of the year. Focusing on any strange/funny/good/bad events outside the poker room, but also giving a brief mention to what's happening on the tables too. If anyone can remember my diary from St Kitts in 2011, that was probably 60/40 poker orientated, this time round I'm looking to do the opposite. 

Why not a results orientated, hand history analysis, profit/loss record thread? 

Firstly I've missed the boat on the results orientated front. I did do one last year for the TKP Facebook group. But I was only brave enough post it in that private group, fearing I'd make a total fool of myself. As it happens, I wouldn't have done.  But knowing I was posting my results for people to see (albeit only 30/40) it 100% made me more determined to knuckle down and properly focus on what I was trying to achieve. Let's be honest, I'm a near 100/1 shot to match or better what I achieved last year. But if I can visit a few different countries this year, having fun playing poker, and end up anywhere near break even, I'd be over the moon. Poker is, and always will be a hobby, my job/business is my priority, any income from poker is a bonus. 

Secondly, there are any amount of diaries to read where people write down hand history's for analysing and discussions take place. And I seriously don't see myself as good enough to discuss hands anyway. 

Why the title:- One man and his gadgets? Simple, driving/flying off somewhere for days or even weeks can get a bit tiresome, and even lonely at times, gadgets are a god send. To be able to get my iPad out, flick on Sky Go, (even in foreign countries with the addition of an app I came across a while ago) and watch Sky Sports as if I am in my own living room, or listen to music, jump on Facebook etc, makes the 12 hour shifts far more bearable. 

So this is the start of what I hope to be an entertaining diary spanning 12 months on the live circuit around the UK and Europe. I'm presently in Deauville, and I've already a few tales to tell, and I'm sure I'll get time on my journey back tomorrow to jot them down and post them. I'm going to post this on my Facebook page, and also in Community Section on Sky Poker. Any feedback appreciated, whether it be good or bad. 

Neil (Joesman)

Sent from my iPad

Comments

• edited February 2015

Looking forward to this diary with a difference ! Your St kitts one was an excellent read and well written. 

You did have a great year last year (poker wise), so this year should be taken with a relaxed attitude. 

Your stories off the poker tables whilst travelling will be worth reading too.

Heard you have  met some interesting 'couples' in various eating establishments  over in France already........

• edited February 2015
    Love to read your thoughts, Neil. You're practically a pro, so it's also a learning opportunity for us mere mortals. 
    Last year was such a heater for you. Am sure it'll carry on (if your aces can hold up). 
    Can't wait to read more!
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: One man and his gadgets on tour 2015:
    Looking forward to this diary with a difference ! Your St kitts one was an excellent read and well written.  You did have a great year last year (poker wise), so this year should be taken with a relaxed attitude.  Your stories off the poker tables whilst travelling will be worth reading too. Heard you have  met some interesting 'couples' in various eating establishments  over in France already........
    Posted by MAXALLY
    Unreal, I've just bumped into David Mitchell and Vicky Coren in a little Brasserie, how the hell do u know that?? That was an exclusive for my 1st post. How bizarre?? 
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: One man and his gadgets on tour 2015 : Unreal, I've just bumped into David Mitchell and Vicky Coren in a little Brasserie, how the hell do u know that?? That was an exclusive for my 1st post. How bizarre?? 
    Posted by joesman1

....I was on about Joe Stapleton & James Hartigan    
  • edited February 2015
    Pretty much echo what Alan said. I remember your blog from St Kitts and it had me literally 'loling' (Bet Tikay loves that statement). I'd love to be in a position like you are where I can travel to different countries playing big poker events. So at least through your diary I can pretend to live it!

Best of luck with 2015, even if you do half as well as 2014 you'll be looking good.
  • edited February 2015
    really looking forward to this Neil, esp as one of the few in TKP, I've seen the one from last year, and it made for great reading
  • edited February 2015

I think this is a great idea, your last blog from St Kitts was a great read, and over the last year your game has gone from being a rec player to a tour player, something we, who know you personally have great respect and a interest on following your progress throughout your games.
    I first met you Neil at a poker event a few years back along with James n Tony, and have met up at several events remaining freinds, through F/B telephone etc sharing hotels meals breakfast. banter/fun best weekends away ever great company.
    I would also like to say a few words about you as a person,,,  your one of the most genuine guys i have met, kind and never a bad word to say about anyone, so good luck at the tables and get writing the new blog.
    see you in march at DTD weekend

• edited February 2015
    Looking forward to reading this - the best of luck on the tables during 2015!
  • edited February 2015
    Neil was the St Kitts blog the one where you tried to convince the hotel receptionist that one of your party was actually black?

If it was then I'll look forward to your new blog, if it wasn't then you have a lot to beat :)
  • edited February 2015
    Thanks everyone, esp Colin, moved me to tears, I had to leave the arena. Back now. Seriously though, I've formed many friendships through Sky Poker and its community, long may it continue. 
  • edited February 2015
    Neil was the St Kitts blog the one where you tried to convince the hotel receptionist that one of your party was actually black? If it was then I'll look forward to your new blog, if it wasn't then you have a lot to beat :)
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    Looking forward to these ramblings of life on and off the tables.Can anybody provide a link to what sounds a good read of life on holiday in St Kitts. Cheers and good luck for 2015.
  • edited February 2015
    Neil was the St Kitts blog the one where you tried to convince the hotel receptionist that one of your party was actually black? If it was then I'll look forward to your new blog, if it wasn't then you have a lot to beat :)
    Posted by FlyingDagg
    'Twas me my friend. Tried for a free upgrade as we had  THE Mr Marriott in our party. How was I to know the owner of the said Marriott Hotel was as black as Rosjim is white??
  • edited February 2015
    I'll dig them up and post one a day for the next 3 days. You may have worked out I wrote 3. I wasn't sure how well they were received, so I never actually wrote the 4th and final instalment. 
  • edited February 2015
    So, you said you bumped into David Mitchell and Vicky Coren........

Don't forget to hold some stuff back for when you write your poker memoirs :)
  • edited February 2015

Looking forward to this :)
  • edited February 2015
    Gateshead man turns balla!
  • edited February 2015
    Cheers Vespa, the red wine is open and i'll have a read whilst watching the darts and football.
  • edited February 2015
    Extemely excited about this diary.

I am a complete Joesman Fangirl!

*waves pom poms*
  • ommomm
    edited February 2015
    Without doubt this will be the best diary on here, good luck Neil, hope u beat last year and have a great time doing it. 
  • edited February 2015
    ..... Meanwhile in breaking news..... Reports coming through of a captured flag...... Details to follow......
  • edited February 2015

This will be a great read, thanks Neil.
  • edited February 2015
    Chapter 1 - A review of last year

After playing the WPT festival last November at DTD in Nottingham, I decided it was time to take a break 'til the new year and just reflect on the previous 12 months.

Here is a brief run down of how last year panned out:-

It all started with a Gentings event at DTD in January. And I was involved in an amazing hand on the bubble (it's on you tube for anyone who has 7 minutes to waste in their life, - just google me or Tim Slater and Gentings Nottingham). Basically we got it all in pre, me with KK and Tim with AA and I (just) had Tim covered. The flop came down KQJ to give me top set, the turn was a 10, to give Tim the straight, the river an A to also give me the straight, DTD erupted in laughter, 'as you were' so they say, the bubble continued....

Eventually down to two tables I ran into Tim (again), him limping with AK in 1st position when I had AQ on the button, all in pre for an 800k pot. I went away frustrated, ok I finished 17th out of plenty for £2,800, but yet again I got it all in behind, and not the sort of 'behind' that's pleasurable!!! This had to stop!!! This was my annoying habit the previous six months, getting to the cash, then shoving into a bigger hand. The bad news from that day hadn't ended yet, but it was a couple of weeks before it dawned on me. On my way home I sped through the ave speed trap on the M1 a bit too speedily. My profit from that weekend took a £60 hit and my freshly clean licence is no longer clean again. 

Nothing much happened until the summer when I helped organise a TKP trip to Marbella. Taking in sun, sea, alcohol, (a tad too much for a few) and poker.  

There's a separate blog from that trip and I'll dig up and post on here after the 3 entries from St Kitts. 

Suffice to say Marbella went well, and I sneaked my 1st ever live MTT win. From there I went to Nottingham for the UKPC Sky 6-Max, again that went well, finishing 5th to a well deserved winner in Leigh Wiltshire, not forgetting Paul Haycock who came 6th. I was about to leave for the long 'slow' drive home when I got talked into playing a UKPC side event. It made sense as the winner of the UKPC festival won a 15k package. Basically 15k worth of free entries to use over the next 12 months at DTD. Having made the final 10, it came down to either myself or Stu Rutter winning it. But I had to beat him by at least 4 spots. It made for a strange dynamic, as winning the package was as lucrative as winning the event itself. I ended up getting rivered by the chap who went on to win it, finishing in 6th spot. Stu ended up the defeated heads up combatant. 

In between Marbs' and Notts' I managed to bink an EPT Barcelona seat, knocking out EPC champ David Vamplew heads up, the heater had switched to online mode and showed no sign of switching itself off just yet. 

After Notts, I squeezed 5 days of sun in Majorca before flying direct to Barcelona. I'd heard so much about the Barcelona EPT I couldn't wait to get there. It didn't disappoint!!! I spent quite a bit of time there drinking (too much) and eating with the likes of Mike 'Da Bookie' Hill, geordie boy Tommy Dunwoodie, and Willie Tan. Again things went ok, I min cashed for €8,500, and having got in for €220 I was more than happy. 

September brought a small cash in a Gentings side event, before I headed to London for the UKIPT/EPT festival. 

I arrived in London on the Fri night 9pm ish, and by 11pm I was in a pub drinking wine with my 'better half' and Mrs Brommers waiting for Mr Brommers to exit a side event he was playing. We then strolled to Leicester Square and had a lovely Chinese meal before jumping into the dodgiest taxi EVER!!! 

Saturday brought the UKIPT High Roller. My thought process was if I cashed I'd stay and play the EPT, if not, I'd take the train home on the Sunday. By the end of the day, I'd made day 2, guaranteed a cash, and within 15 mins of each other taken out Dan Colman AND Chris Moorman!! To my left on the last table of the day I had Olivier Busquet, and to his left, soon to be WSOP 2014 champ Martin Jacobsen. There were some serious players in town!! I ended up finishing 16th, scooping more than enough for the EPT entry. In the EPT itself I'd doubled up within 15 mins with my QQ v AA on KQx board. I was up to 80k ish at one point, but disgracefully exited before the end of day 1. A serous word with oneself ensued on the train journey home the following day. 

The bargaining tool for re-locating to Nottingham for two weeks of the WPT in November was a week beforehand in Tenerife, fair deal I'd say. The WPT itself brought two v small cashes, and 3 brutal bad beats in the main and side events. But I'd had more than my share of luck throughout the year, and it was obviously decided by the poker gods it was my turn to suffer. 

Playing more live events last year 100% helped me improve my game. It also meant I've played a lot less on line, and low and behold, I had a winning year in that sphere too (courtesy of Rob/Aussie's stats). I wasn't treating the online game with any respect previously, just having a bit of fun whilst watching TV. 

So in a nutshell that was my diary of 2014. I played at some great venues, and visited some lovely cities. And along the way banked a few bob. Same again this year please??

I'm writing this up as I journey back from EPT Deauville, and I shall write about this journey over night and post it tomorrow. Suffice to say what looked like being a 'Les Miserables' trip, turned out to be ok in the end. Better late than never Rodney!! 

See you anon

• edited February 2015
    ..... Meanwhile in breaking news..... Reports coming through of a captured flag...... Details to follow......
    Posted by joesman1
    PMSL!!

Pray Tell!!

Neil, St Kitts was A Great Read!!

JEEZ!! i cannot believe that was 2011, surley not!!

looking forward to this, from a great Mate, & Fellow FOSP admin!!

GLGL!!
  • edited February 2015
    Just a footnote... In all probability future posts will have less poker about them, and more what's happening outside the auditorium. It was hard not to put all of last year in one blog and not be more poker orientated. 
  • edited February 2015
    Just a footnote... In all probability future posts will have less poker about them, and more what's happening outside the auditorium. It was hard not to put all of last year in one blog and not be more power orientated. 
    Posted by joesman1
    Is that an Atheltes Footnote??
  • edited February 2015
    Nice one Neil, I'm sure you've got loads of interesting stories from your travels.

EvilPingu can't post cos he's banned but wanted me to say he's really looking forward to it too.

Gl with 2015
  • edited February 2015
    FREE The EvilPingu!!!!

Oooooppppss Sry Neil!!!
  • edited February 2015
    That's a great recap of 2014 Neil.

Looking forward to following your adventures in 2015.

I'm hoping you'll also be able to provide a bit of an insight into the world of live poker for those of us in the virtual world.

Good Luck, Good Luck.
  • edited February 2015
    Extemely excited about this diary. I am a complete Joesman Fangirl! *waves pom poms*
    Posted by Bromley023

Can i get my pompoms back please.

Geuninely looking forward to this diary Neil and i generally dont read most diary threads about.  See you at DTD and a huge glgl for 2015.