You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cash Help

Looking for helpful advice from anyone, but hoping to get some feedback from the likes of Dohh, Scotty, james etc. :)

With me trying to improve my BR from scratch again, i thought i'd give cash a try.

And whilst i've been playing this morning i've noticed people will call a lot. Is raising nessecary pre flop in cash?

Also i've been buying in for 4 squid, and i lost that pretty quickly as someone raise all-in pre, i had AJ Suited and i called.... they turned over a pair of 3's... flop aj3 lmao.

Anyhow should i be calling all-in with the likes of AJsuiteD? Because if people are thinking pocket 3's are good, then i must of been holding an amazing hand lol.

Anyhow more informaton you could throw my way wouold be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• edited January 2010
    i doubled up with 3 hands of re-buyin, so no loss atm :)

• edited January 2010

Aup mate - the hand with Ace Jack, just throw it away - ur only racing against the pocket 3s, u might as well go play roulette, red or black, and save youself the rake.

Alot of the time hes shoving ace king ace queen, and ur miles behind, very rarely is he gonna shove ace ten ace 9, which are the only hands you can beat.

Don't get too carried away thinking these guys are bad (hard to do when you see them chucking all in with 33) ...... Stick to a tight aggressive game, don't try and change your own game or let them bring u down to their level.

I'd make most raises pre 5x BB...up to 20, limp with hands such as TJs, low pairs on the button/cut off - and dont get dragged into raised pots with marginal hands just "becoz its only 20p" - Look at the raises as a percentage of a buy in, eg if someone value bets a quid, dont call "just coz its a only a quid" - Its 25% of your buy in - call if ur sure ur winning.

You make the running with strong hands - bet them well (around the pot) and they WILL pay you.

Ill come watch a few hands next time ur on - for better more specific advice, post a few hands from your sessions (winning ones and losing ones), n Im sure the guys will be able to hep ya.

DOHH

• edited January 2010
    thanks mate off to footy now, but will be back on around 3/4ish.

I did crack Aces as with my limped ten jack.

Flop:

3 J 10

He raises, i re raise he pushes i call.

Next card 3 and im thinking, im cursed.

River a 10.

very nice :D

Anyhow will speak to you later
  • edited January 2010

Nice one - pretty standard hand for most low limits, but kinda shows what I mean about limping, the 4p limp won u 4 quid, whereas u raise, get a couple of callers, flops ten high, lead out, get action behind ugh it just gets messy.

Limp, hit big, raise / miss - fold. Simples ;)

Thats the main way ur guna win big pots at cash, its normally cracking aces kings, flopping sets, FH v flush etc - especially lower limits the big pots are gunna decide ur profit/loss - not so much about bluffing, 3 betting etc, the less mistakes u make - the more successful ur guna be.

Get a FEW of tables up if u get bored (and if ur comp can handle it, GRRR) - but dnt get frustrated if things dnt seem to be happenin, it'll come.

Cya l8a fella, DOHH

(5 points behind ya now, Donny in the premiership? haha)

• edited January 2010
    Haha, i remember getting donny from the old conference to the premiership in 5 seasons on champ manager 4!

Gna jump on a cash table now, don't think i'll be on for a while got to do some revision :/ Also my computer lags when i've got 2 windows open so 3 is out of the question lol

• edited January 2010
    Here is one for you Dohh
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    lukim Small blind   £0.02 £0.02 £1.70
    dino104 Big blind   £0.04 £0.06 £2.91
      Your hole cards
    • Q

kieronm Call   £0.04 £0.10 £5.10
    rhysy50005 Fold        
    HartshorN Call   £0.04 £0.14 £4.06
    tim2000 Call   £0.04 £0.18 £3.27
    lukim Call   £0.02 £0.20 £1.68
    dino104 Check        
    Flop

• Q

lukim Check        
    dino104 Bet   £0.08 £0.28 £2.83
    kieronm Fold        
    HartshorN Call   £0.08 £0.36 £3.98
    tim2000 Fold        
    lukim Call   £0.08 £0.44 £1.60
    Turn

• A

lukim Check        
    dino104 Bet   £0.08 £0.52 £2.75
    HartshorN Call   £0.08 £0.60 £3.90
    lukim Call   £0.08 £0.68 £1.52
    River

lukim Check        
    dino104 Bet   £0.08 £0.76 £2.67
    HartshorN Raise   £0.16 £0.92 £3.74
    lukim Call   £0.16 £1.08 £1.36
    dino104 Call   £0.08 £1.16 £2.59
    HartshorN Show
    • Q

lukim Muck
    • J
    • A

dino104 Muck
    • Q

HartshorN Win Full House, 9s and Queens £1.11   £4.85
  • edited January 2010
    Think the raise is to small but was trying to keep lukim in aswell as maybe being re-raised.
  • edited January 2010
    raise the turn. Do you really think hes gonna fold if he has an ace? whats the point in keeping him in if your only gonna win a few p anyway, might aswell take a risk of him folding for the chance to win a lot more. If you dont maximise your winnings when you have a big hand your never gonna make money. Also dont minraise. If hes gonna call a minraise hes gonna call a 3x raise.
  • edited January 2010
    There was a hand before where i had hit a full house aswell, let him bet into me, raised the turn, which got a call but got nothing more on the river.

May only be a few p to you, but for the low stakes like myself every penny counts.

Thank anyhow, i will keep on learning
  • edited January 2010
    yeah but if you raised the turn the hand before thats even more reason to do it again, because hes not gonna believe you have a hand again. Having a mindset of always needing to keep people in the hand is bad.

I always hear people saying 'no one ever folds' or 'how can the fish call with that' yet whenever they have a big hand they bet the minimum hoping to trap or to keep people in the hand. You should bet big because, you guessed it, no one ever folds.
  • edited January 2010
    Hiya mate, I've recently been playing on 2/4p cash and it really is true if you play your big hands strongly you will definitly get paid by the many loose players at this level.

At the moment I mainly play on the 10 seaters, I find this size table allows you to see more hands and often you get more callers when you get your hand which can pay off big.
  • edited January 2010
    The Q9 hand.

Raise turn.  Shove river.

At these levels I dont really think its worth going for value bets, as you may lose a few BB when the odd person folds but one donk will make up for it by calling 100+bb.

• edited January 2010
    PlayerActionCardsAmountPotBalance
    trebor8833 Small blind  £0.02 £0.02 £1.30
    76Nivels Big blind  £0.04 £0.06 £0.48
      Your hole cards
    • K
    • A

WANTED Fold     
    acesfull83 Fold     
    agent-47 Fold     
    sidzooport Fold     
    onthebutto Fold     
    nogolf Raise  £0.08 £0.14 £1.71
    yorkie11 Call  £0.08 £0.22 £4.88
    Dudeskin8 Raise  £0.20 £0.42 £3.59
    trebor8833 Call  £0.18 £0.60 £1.12
    76Nivels Fold     
    nogolf Call  £0.12 £0.72 £1.59
    yorkie11 Call  £0.12 £0.84 £4.76
    Flop

• A

trebor8833 Check     
    nogolf Check     
    yorkie11 Check     
    Dudeskin8 Bet  £0.63 £1.47 £2.96
    trebor8833 All-in  £1.12 £2.59 £0.00
    nogolf Fold     
    yorkie11 Fold     
    Dudeskin8 Call  £0.49 £3.08 £2.47
    trebor8833 Show
    • A

Dudeskin8 Show
    • K
    • A

Turn

• K

River

Dudeskin8 Win Two Pairs, Aces and Kings £2.93  £5.40
    Sorry to borrow your thread Hart but I was just wondering on the flop when I bet big should I ever be thinking about folding if the guy has me covered ? In this situation it was ok as he was short but I don't know if I can still call to a bigger stack, is this too tight especially at 2p/4p ?
  • edited January 2010
    imo you need to bet the streets a lot lot harder to maximise value
  • edited January 2010
    Sorry to borrow your thread Hart but I was just wondering on the flop when I bet big should I ever be thinking about folding if the guy has me covered ? In this situation it was ok as he was short but I don't know if I can still call to a bigger stack, is this too tight especially at 2p/4p ?

top top at these levels is nearly always good.  get it in.

but raise more PF.  IMO should be 28p min

plus u was less than 100bb.  you shouldn';t need to worry about folding this hand ever in this spot.  if you are both playing 200/300bb effective then yeah, but not this shallow
  • edited January 2010
    So, hit hard, bet hard.

GOT IT :D

Much appreciated lads, and you use all you need of it dudeskin.
  • edited January 2010
    good thread...good advice....... taken onboard.

nice 1 lads.
  • edited January 2010
    Yeh you want to raise the turn on Q9 hand else you're never building the pot. Hands like that is where you are probably losing alot of profit.

Also, dont get drawn into making marginal calls if someone shoves into you. It's either the nuts or complete air, but let them do it when it's you who has the nuts.
  • edited January 2010
    Yeh you want to raise the turn on Q9 hand else you're never building the pot. Hands like that is where you are probably losing alot of profit.

Also, dont get drawn into making marginal calls if someone shoves into you. It's either the nuts or complete air, but let them do it when it's you who has the nuts.
  • edited January 2010
    Great thread.  Thanks for the tips.
  • edited January 2010
    Generally in a BASIC No Limit Holdem strategy we tend to play pairs, ace suited, suited cards were the lowest card is a 10, suited connectors and usually the only unsuited hands would be AK and AQ. The reason for this kind of selection is with pairs we have the chance to flop a set and beat an over pair, with big pairs we hope to win big pots were our opponent doesn't make a better hand, with ace suited we are hoping to make a bigger flush against opponents who play any two suited cards, the small suited connectors allow us to flop draws with many outs against over pairs (where we can often be a favourite on the flop when the money goes in) and finally AK and AQ just have value in their high card strength vs. weaker aces and picture card combinations. AK and AQ also allow us to put pressure on opponents with pairs of Jacks or lower, were we have the last bet we can either make them fold and win the pot right there or be in an even money situation if we get called.

Generally with these hands we will bring it in for 3 times the big blind. If, however, the pot has already been raised then we will generally just call with these hands and the only hands that we re-raise with being AA, KK, QQ, JJ and AK suited and unsuited. The reason that we bring it in for a consistent amount is that we want to disguise what our holding is. Any variation in raise sizing would be based purely on stack sizes, how many handed the game is and whether or not there are antes in play NOT on the strength of our holding.

After the flop If we get called by 1 or 2 opponents we will usually fire out a continuation bet that is usually 2/3 of the pot. We will fire this continuation bet regardless of whether we hit the flop or connect to with it in any fashion. If we get called by more than 2 opponents we will usually check if we flop less than top pair or a big draw. On later streets the line you take is pretty much dependent on the texture of the board, the opponent(s) that are remaining in the pot and your position at the table.

Position is also a very important concept to think about. Generally you want to have aggressive players on your right and passive players on your left. This allows you to be able to play better and make fewer mistakes and with more information on later streets against opponents who are prone to betting and bluffing. Position become less significant against opponents with somewhat tighter hand ranges, such as the players you ideally want on your left, as these people are easier to outplay after the flop and will often allow you take down the blind and antes uncontested. Having position on an opponent simply allows you to play a hand with more information, as you have seen all the other players act and therefore can make wiser decisions on later betting rounds.

I must stress this is a BASIC strategy and can only be truly successfully deployed at the lower limits. This strategy will become more difficult to deploy at stakes above 0.50/1 where the level of play is generally much better, with 3 betting preflop commonplace, and the ability to play well on later streets become much more important. This strategy will not necessarily be successful in shorter handed games where the value of smaller cards is lower and the value in bluffing higher.

The biggest mistakes that beginning poker players make:

1. Playing too many hands before the flop
    2. Not betting strongly enough allowing opponents to draw out on you with mathematically the correct odds.
    3. Bluffing too much
    4. Not being able to fold "big hands".

BrownDog

• edited January 2010
    quality post browndog, im off to 5/10 with my roll and my new tips... lol

no seriously this is a great peice for a player looking to start cash, i think its cool u took the time to post it wd
  • edited January 2010

Cheers Browndog, I've recently started on the 2p/4p tables and have found playing solid ABC definitly works. I would also strongly agree with No. 4 folding big hands, this can make a big difference.

• edited January 2010
    Nice work Browndog.

On folding big hands, do you have any tips for getting rid of that nagging feeling that you've just been bluffed out of a pot when you do fold on?  :)
  • edited January 2010
    In Response to Re: Cash Help:
    Nice work Browndog. On folding big hands, do you have any tips for getting rid of that nagging feeling that you've just been bluffed out of a pot when you do fold on?  :)
    Posted by BeastieBoy
    Yh I hate that sick feeling you get in your stomach, even so you have to limit your losses wherever possible.

I had one yesturday had J high flop someone bet I raised big with QJ, they just called OOP, then Ace on turn they suddenly beg 3/4 of pot. In this situation I have to think why are they betting, would they call on flop for just the ace ?, I don't know but the chances are at the donk level I play at it is very likely, so I made the fold and saved myself some money.