You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

The Disease That Affects Poker Players

edited February 2015 in Poker Chat

Whilst this is not an unusual virus, it is one that, as an illness, does not get a lot of publicity. I thought it would be useful to pass on my experience of suffering with the disease over the last few months. It is called variance-itis and there are two strains, one is positive and one is negative. I have suffered with both over recent times and it can be quite confusing and frustrating. The positive version leads you in to a false sense of security due to the fact it can end very abruptly and suddenly become negative without any warning symptoms. Research has indicated that this is, in fact, quite a common occurrence amongst the poker playing community.   

During the middle part of 2014 I was suffering from negative variance-itis, I had a holiday and afterwards the negative turned to positive, and confusingly I felt much better! The positive continued through January, but suddenly (from 1st February) I had another attack of the negative version and it has continued right up to today, when I suffered 6 consecutive bubbles (DYMs), which makes you very frustrated, particularly when you are on the wrong end of 8 BBs. I did manage to inflict one on to somebody else although, according to his chat box comments, he was not too impressed.

I hope this has been read in the context that it was written. It is not a moan. You just have to laugh it off!!

Comments