You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Hovering at just above break even - how to kick on?

Hello. This is my first time posting (apologies for the rambling nature and i ive posted in the wrong place.)

Preamble – I have been playing for about 3.5 years. Took around 3 (and probably a good few hundred pounds) to get the point where I was consistently beating my friends and smaller tournaments near where I live, but more often than not was frittering away whatever I reinvested online. Therefore around 5 months ago I started trying to take things a bit more seriously, did some research etc.

Typically I play around 2/3 nights a week and an afternoon at the weekend. Mostly a mix of 5/10p, 10/20p, cash and £5, £11 sng (all six handed and on sky). However, despite averaging a very small profit, I cannot ever seem to kick on. The first few months of my more serious attempts were exactly break even and over the last month / 6 weeks I have at no point been more than +£175 and at no point below +£50 with the amount in my account currently being circa £110 more than I have deposited. All this seems bizarrely consistent to me; even though the stakes aren’t that high I would have expected variance to player a bigger toll one way or another! I have started eliminating the 5/10p and £5 games as I’m getting bored playing at that level but appear to be yielding exactly the same results at the higher level with the added slight increase in winnings (and clearly i mean slight.)

I am not aware of any leaks – otherwise I wouldn’t make them. However, there are clearly many!!

1) Are there any obvious spots the break even or just above break even players virtually always need to improve on?!

2) Also anyone who recognises they may have played against me…  Anything you’ve noticed I do that could be costing me? (I don’t know why you’d say, but it would be really nice and I promise to return the favour!)

3) What is a realistic expectation at this level? Am I just expecting too much in a short time frame?

4) A luxury bonus question for anyone still reading – what % of people do actually make a profit (any kind) vs those who don’t?