You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

How many race offs/coin flips should i expect to win to reach a final table tourney off 250/350 ave?

edited February 2015 in Poker Chat
I enjoy playing bounty hunters 200-500,but rarely make final tables,i know you need a touch off luck in these events! but would like opinions off players on what they feel is a average on race off/coin toss in general to get there,thanks

Comments

• edited February 2015
    In Response to How many race offs/coin flips should i expect to win to reach a final table tourney off 250/350 ave?:
    I enjoy playing bounty hunters 200-500,but rarely make final tables,i know you need a touch off luck in these events! but would like opinions off players on what they feel is a average on race off/coin toss in general to get there,thanks
    Posted by atkinson04
    250/350 players* on ave
  • edited February 2015
    Too hard to answer really. Massively dependent on your style for one... if you're the type of player that is just gonna fold fold fold waiting for really strong hands, then GII short stack needing to win the race or you bust, then fold fold fold, wait for big hand, rinse repeat, you're always gonna be the one with your stack at risk and you're gonna need to do very well in races to win.

If you're looser, more aggressive and trying to win lots of small pots, then you can pick up lots of chips without having to constantly rely on just getting it in pre and needing to win.

Whatever happens, you're gonna need a bit of run good to FT/win MTTs but you want to try to minimise the amount of times we are forced to get it in pre with our own stack at risk.
  • edited February 2015
    Just from a theoretical stand point (and for fun) if there are 300 players in your tournament all starting with 5000 chips, then there are 1,500,000 chips in play. Technically if you purely doubled up 8 times you would basically have all the chips in play (1,280,000) :D Obviously as lambert mentioned there is a lot to do with your playing style/ability etc... Good luck anyway!
  • edited February 2015
    How long's a piece of string? Lambert covers it well in saying that it depends.

If you build up a big stack early and keep the pressure on it's possible you will only need to win a couple of coin flips to reach a final table. If you play well and run well you might on avg need 4 flips to reach a FT. As Lambert said tho if you just play very tight and wait for a hand before GII you're going to need to win 6/7+ and even as much as ten flips to reach the FT. So even though you're getting it in really good each time.

Suppose you need to win 7 all ins to get the FT and you are 70% fave each time on avg. That's an 8% chance you'll reach the FT. Of course, you'd have to be very lucky in the first place to find yourself in situations where you get it in with a 70% favourite.

Suppose you only need to win 2 all ins but you get it in bad each time as only a 40% favourite. You now have a 16% chance of reaching the final table - twice as likely in other words! 
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: How many race offs/coin flips should i expect to win to reach a final table tourney off 250/350 ave?:
    Too hard to answer really. Massively dependent on your style for one... if you're the type of player that is just gonna fold fold fold waiting for really strong hands, then GII short stack needing to win the race or you bust, then fold fold fold, wait for big hand, rinse repeat, you're always gonna be the one with your stack at risk and you're gonna need to do very well in races to win. If you're looser, more aggressive and trying to win lots of small pots, then you can pick up lots of chips without having to constantly rely on just getting it in pre and needing to win. Whatever happens, you're gonna need a bit of run good to FT/win MTTs but you want to try to minimise the amount of times we are forced to get it in pre with our own stack at risk.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Thanks mate...I dont think im being aggressive enough when i have a decent chip lead,should i be raising the button most times if theres no action ifront off me? I rely on others to take each other down to much
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: How many race offs/coin flips should i expect to win to reach a final table tourney off 250/350 ave?:
    In Response to Re: How many race offs/coin flips should i expect to win to reach a final table tourney off 250/350 ave? : Thanks mate...I dont think im being aggressive enough when i have a decent chip lead,should i be raising the button most times if theres no action ifront off me? I rely on others to take each other down to much
    Posted by atkinson04
    It depends on stack sizes behind but if have a decent stack and its unopened to me on the button I am raising and then looking at my cards!
  • edited February 2015
    ya dnt really get into flips till the mid to late stages very rarely u get into flips early on in a tourney im not sure how many flips u have to win to get to a final table id say about 10 flips on average 
  • edited February 2015
    Wow just read some of these post and apparently it is possible to win more than one flip on the trot!

Seriously though, as previously stated it depends on your playing style, the cards and how you run, but I think most people will agree that most MTTs are won by players who, no matter how good they are, have run pretty well in that MTT.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: How many race offs/coin flips should i expect to win to reach a final table tourney off 250/350 ave? : It depends on stack sizes behind but if have a decent stack and its unopened to me on the button I am raising and then looking at my cards!
    Posted by MattBates
    You look at your cards?