You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

nearing the bubble

edited February 2015 in Tournament Strategy
Hello, i keep reaching before the bubble on a tournament and seem to always get pushed out it seems i always get blinded out before hand and have a lower stack than most and feel i have to push all in, do i just need to be more aggressive and push my way through to reach the money?

Comments

• edited February 2015
    In Response to nearing the bubble:
    Hello, i keep reaching before the bubble on a tournament and seem to always get pushed out it seems i always get blinded out before hand and have a lower stack than most and feel i have to push all in, do i just need to be more aggressive and push my way through to reach the money?
    Posted by elniallo
    If you're being blinded out, then you're waiting for cards and that's probably not the best way to play the bubble.
    Bubble play does not just start when you're one off the money, it starts much earlier. If 10 places get paid, then bubble play probably starts when there are about 25 left. At this point the more experienced players try to aggressively accumulate chips, knowing that many players will retreat into a shell and play timidly. Experienced players will look to identify those who just want to creep into the money and will rob them blind. There's a lot of stealing going on and you need to get your share!

Be more aggressive. Look for people who are stealing from the button, take any reasonable hand and come over the top of them: you need to let them know you won't be messed around with. Identify those who are looking to creep into the money and steal from them mercilessly. Make a lot of small aggressive moves at pots but don't commit yourself unless i) you have the goods or ii) it's part of a well-thought-out bluff.
    When you bluff, do not bluff either small or big stacks (both have little to lose by calling you) bluff the MEDIUM stacks.
    And above all - don't be afraid to go out.

• edited February 2015
    thanks ill take your advice and give it a go 

In Response to Re: nearing the bubble:
    In Response to nearing the bubble : If you're being blinded out, then you're waiting for cards and that's probably not the best way to play the bubble. Bubble play does not just start when you're one off the money, it starts much earlier. If 10 places get paid, then bubble play probably starts when there are about 25 left. At this point the more experienced players try to aggressively accumulate chips, knowing that many players will retreat into a shell and play timidly. Experienced players will look to identify those who just want to creep into the money and will rob them blind. There's a lot of stealing going on and you need to get your share! Be more aggressive. Look for people who are stealing from the button, take any reasonable hand and come over the top of them: you need to let them know you won't be messed around with. Identify those who are looking to creep into the money and steal from them mercilessly. Make a lot of small aggressive moves at pots but don't commit yourself unless i) you have the goods or ii) it's part of a well-thought-out bluff. When you bluff, do not bluff either small or big stacks (both have little to lose by calling you) bluff the MEDIUM stacks. And above all - don't be afraid to go out.
    Posted by BigBluster
  • edited February 2015
    thanks ill take your advice and give it a go 

In Response to Re: nearing the bubble:
    In Response to nearing the bubble : If you're being blinded out, then you're waiting for cards and that's probably not the best way to play the bubble. Bubble play does not just start when you're one off the money, it starts much earlier. If 10 places get paid, then bubble play probably starts when there are about 25 left. At this point the more experienced players try to aggressively accumulate chips, knowing that many players will retreat into a shell and play timidly. Experienced players will look to identify those who just want to creep into the money and will rob them blind. There's a lot of stealing going on and you need to get your share! Be more aggressive. Look for people who are stealing from the button, take any reasonable hand and come over the top of them: you need to let them know you won't be messed around with. Identify those who are looking to creep into the money and steal from them mercilessly. Make a lot of small aggressive moves at pots but don't commit yourself unless i) you have the goods or ii) it's part of a well-thought-out bluff. When you bluff, do not bluff either small or big stacks (both have little to lose by calling you) bluff the MEDIUM stacks. And above all - don't be afraid to go out.
    Posted by BigBluster