You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

£1,000,000 UKPC Satellites - Your Thoughts?

edited February 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi Everybody,

Congratulations to all 148 of you that have qualified for the £1,000,000 UKPC and good luck in the event!

Now that the satellites into the event have finished on-site we were wondering what you thought of the satellites? What you enjoyed, what your route to qualify was and why, or what you would improve if given the chance?

Any feedback you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sky Peter

Comments

• edited February 2015
    Ban the dirty satellite grinders, seat stealers.
  • edited February 2015
    I thought the system was pretty much spot on. Especially loved the freeroll entries to the quarterfinals, great way for small stakes to have a chance. 

As for above comment, its a perfectly viable way to make money. That's what we all want to do and without these players the sats would attract less and less players and therefore reduce seat garentees. 
  • edited February 2015
    I didn't get in but the sats were fine imo....
    It may sound grumpy but I am not in favour of taking £55k of the gtd prize pool in the £200k mini to boost the numbers of the £1m.
    Top 50 got a seat into the main so making them invest £55k into a tourny they may not want to play? 
  • edited February 2015
    It seemed ok to me. I satted in woth playing a micro £2-30 sat on a saturday then with the quarter then semi, then the final next day. As for the satallite grinders, I suspect they make it viable to run.
  • edited February 2015

This question has been asked before although I don't recall seeing a formal response.

Is it possible to try some SNG Sats?

It should encourage people to try and Sat who cannot make say afternoon / early evening starts

Also there will be no overlay, so less sats for cash tyoes entering which may encourage recs?

You could layer them and keep them to STTs or have multi-table STTs? Imagine they would fill up pretty quick at peak times.
  • edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £1,000,000 UKPC Satellites - Your Thoughts?:
    This question has been asked before although I don't recall seeing a formal response. Is it possible to try some SNG Sats? It should encourage people to try and Sat who cannot make say afternoon / early evening starts Also there will be no overlay, so less sats for cash tyoes entering which may encourage recs? You could layer them and keep them to STTs or have multi-table STTs? Imagine they would fill up pretty quick at peak times.
    Posted by Phantom66
    Thats not a bad idea. I would suggest say 6 levels with tickets being awarded each time with 2nd or 3rd place prizes too. And just in case someone gets stuck with them, the tickets could be used to buy into a standard S&G or MTT after the promotion period.
  • edited February 2015
    I agree with banning the satellite grinders playing for the cash I'm shure it's better to have bums on seats rather than just paying the usual mob £1000 into there accounts!!!

• edited February 2015
    I thought the system was pretty much spot on. Especially loved the freeroll entries to the quarterfinals, great way for small stakes to have a chance.  As for above comment, its a perfectly viable way to make money. That's what we all want to do and without these players the sats would attract less and less players and therefore reduce seat garentees. 
    Posted by CraigSG1
    My comment was far from serious. :-)
  • edited February 2015
    I thought the satts were pretty good overall.,having said that I have to agree with above posts re multi seat/cash hunters. You cannot blame the folk for trying to get the 1k when they already have a seat but it is off putting to the small stake players like myself who are pretty much out classed when making the final, would have been nice to have more rec players at dtd for the main event which would promote the game further imo.
  • edited February 2015
    i think the sats were spot on. i understand the point of multi satalight winners for cash but without the players who play the sat every day there would not hit the guarantee. in my opion keep the same sats for future.
  • edited February 2015
    So reduce the guarantee, say 3 seats for each final on a Sunday instead of 5 (or whatever the ratio actually is)
  • edited February 2015
    I think the Sit n Go idea is an excellent one.

Level 1 - 6 x £3+£.30   1st=£8.80 (Level 2)  2nd=£8.80 (Level 2)

Level 2 - 6 x £8+£.80   1st=£48 (Level 3)

Level 3 - 6 x £44+£4  1st=£220 (Level 4)   2nd=£44

Level 4 - 6 x £200+£20  1st=£1000 (Live Seat)  2nd=£200

Might need to work on the structure a bit ;)
  • edited February 2015
    Yeah I agree I would love to see some SNG satellites on par with Pokerstars 'steps' sats

• edited February 2015
    I like the satellites, and think they work well.

One thing I would change are the "freeroll" sats-I think that these should be blocked for anyone who already has a seat-it would always be possible to have a separate one-off freeroll for the qualifiers with a different prize.

• edited February 2015
    What put me off was the actual structure of the sats. They played deep and blinds a lot longer. This obviously suits  the better players so makes it a much shorter odd game for the rec's

We have had debate about people grinding them for cash, remember they had to get in first anyway. If there are 10 hunting for cash then that's another two seats so far better!
    If you "ban" the all ready qualified players the event would be smaller, sky gets less rake and less likely to offer such a big mtt.

As stated, my main point would be too open up a more rec friendly sat that runs a bit faster so takes edge away slightly. I also think as we have all said for ages, why an all in sat could not always be in the lobby and once hits say 200 runners at £5.25 or whatever then it runs automatically, that way you will get all variety of players going to a huge event and that's a great story. To get in on the cheap with current structure you have to play to a good standard and ultimately "cash" in multiple mtt style sats in a row to make the cut.
    If you took the final for example, £200 is a lot of money to any rec. probably a bigger pay daythan ever seen. So makes it very hard to justify taking a punt on the seat and just cash out. I imagine a lot of people jumped at semi.

But as we know we are a fussy bunch and will never please us all, I think the amount of people who did sat in shows it was a success :)

• edited February 2015

I am NOT going to go down the sats for cash path.....as I know that is a losing battle.....however,

1) Is there any chance of putting a one off freeroll for some of the regs who have excess redundant poker points from way back when? Even a few of them maybe with seats into quarter/semi finals.

2) Closer to the target MTT, there should be some SnG sats too. Even some AIPF SnG sats when filled with the correct required number of  players. I believe the club were doing live flips for seats...so the demand will be there IMO.

3) I hope the GTD is met, but any shortfall must be looked at closely on how to improve the sats for ALL. 
  • edited February 2015
    What about having a couple of 'long shot' sats with a seat available?

IE £11/£22 buy in with a seat up for grabs. This would only require 100/50 runners (is that right MattBates?!), and would suit players who don't fancy/cba with the sats hurdles from the lower levels, but who were quite happy to flick in £11/22 for a shot at a seat.

Once a fortnight or w/e in the preceding weeks til the festival begins.
  • edited February 2015
    1) Is there any chance of putting a one off freeroll for some of the regs who have excess redundant poker points from way back when? 
    Posted by MAXALLY

Agree with this. The issue of legacy points is one that Sky has never addressed. There's an opportunity to sort out this issue once and for all with Viva Las Vegas next month - make a one-off MTT for 10,000 points.

• edited February 2015
    How about having one of the finals on a day other than a Sunday? At the moment, if you can't play on a Sunday, you have no chance.
  • edited February 2015
    I like the idea of a long-shot qualifier as mentioned somewhere above.  I'd like it even more if it was something along the lines of 1 seat gtd, £3.30 unlimited rebuys + addon - I'm sure you'd get 300 or so entries to this including the rebuys and addons.  Seems like a bit of a tough journey trying to go through each level of quarter, semi, final etc having to ride out variance in each.
  • edited February 2015
    Many good players use these sats as a method of making cash, ie they win a seat then enter every sat with a chance of winning another £1k.  I cannot blame them for doing this but think it would be fair if a player was not allowed to enter the tournament satellites again once he/she has won a main event seat.

This would give the opportunity for different players a far better chance to win a seat

Not a whinge just an observation 

I also disagree with some people who say without these players the guarantees would not be met.  Simple, reduce the guarantees, I am sure the rec players would not mind.  If you keep it the same it just gives the good players who use it as a money making tool more chance to win another £1k so this is defeating the object
  • edited February 2015
    step sats need to bring this in 
  • edited February 2015
    I also think they would not lose that many places as more players would enter the sats once they knew some of the top players had already qualified.  There would be closer to 200 sky players making the trip if they did it this way
  • edited February 2015
    Free rolls sats were great. I finally managed to work my way from a Free roll right into the main final on Sunday last.
    Unfortunately went out on the bubble but what a fantastic rush for someone like me who would never ever have the bank roll to even try a final like this.
    I also made 200 points which meant I have reached my up your game double up so me Im well happy.
    All in all very satisfied.
    Now Im aiming for the Viva Las Vegas one and this time I will get through lol.
    Good luck to all those who did make it too nottingham
  • edited February 2015
    How about having one of the finals on a day other than a Sunday? At the moment, if you can't play on a Sunday, you have no chance.
    Posted by FCHD
    If you can't play on a Sunday then it'd perhaps be a good idea not to bother with the sats as there's no point in qualifying.
    I like the idea of steps but I'm not sure that they would get enough takers.
    I'd like to see some lowish buy in rebuys. Lower bankrolls could take a punt and higher bankrolls would increase the prize pools.
  • edited February 2015
    Hi I still a S&G step type would be good.
    A suggested structure with some fine tuning might be along these lines so as to keep people interested. It allows a low buy in start and should they make it a long way they still get something

Level 1 - 6 x £1+£.10   1st=£4.40 (Level 2) 2nd=£1.10 (Level 1) 3rd=£0.50

Level 2 - 6 x £4+£.40   1st=£11.00 (Level 3) 2nd=£11.00 (level 3) 3rd=£1-10(level1) 4th= £0.90

Level 3 - 6 x £10+£1 1st=£36 (Level 4)   2nd/3rd=£11(level3) 4th £1.10 (level 1) 5th £0.90

Level 4 - 6 x £33+£3 1st=£110 (Level 5)  2nd/3rd=£36 (level4) 4th= £11 (level 3) 5th= £4.40(level2) 6th £0.60

Level 5 – 6 x £100+£10 1st=£330(level 6 ) 2nd/3rd=£110(level 5) 4th=£36(level 4) 5th=£11(level 3) 6th=£5

Level 6 – 6 x £300+30 1st SEAT 2nd/3rd=£330(level6) 4th=£110(level 5) 5th=£20 6th=£10

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £1,000,000 UKPC Satellites - Your Thoughts? : If you can't play on a Sunday then it'd perhaps be a good idea not to bother with the sats as there's no point in qualifying. .. I like the idea of steps but I'm not sure that they would get enough takers. ... I'd like to see some lowish buy in rebuys. Lower bankrolls could take a punt and higher bankrolls would increase the prize pools.
    Posted by Jac35
    Unfortunately Sunday is the main day for tournaments on all sites, tough for you but I would imagine it is most players favourite day
  • edited February 2015

I always liked the step-SNG approach from other sites, which could be a year-round challenge as well as short-term option for big events like UKPC (or UKOPS).

I suppose the better grinders would love them as well, as playing 6-max SNG versus a handful of oppos that have worked their way from the bottom levels would be super easy money (and extra rake for Sky).

Only problem may be how long it takes for some of the higher level games to fill? (are there that many grinders with a BR to play that many £220 BI 6-max games unless the lobby looks super-soft?) That may make it a bit odd for people that have to stay regged/online for hours waiting for a game to start...

It would mean that you'd have final steps potentially 7-days a week, to appease those that can't play on Sundays...

• edited February 2015
    In Response to Re: £1,000,000 UKPC Satellites - Your Thoughts? : If you can't play on a Sunday then it'd perhaps be a good idea not to bother with the sats as there's no point in qualifying. .. I like the idea of steps but I'm not sure that they would get enough takers. ... I'd like to see some lowish buy in rebuys. Lower bankrolls could take a punt and higher bankrolls would increase the prize pools.
    Posted by Jac35
    I'd like to see some lowish buy in rebuys. Lower bankrolls could take a punt and higher bankrolls would increase the prize pools.

Great idea, have like 5.50 or 11 rebuys with same structure as wednesday main ftw