You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

first levels of a live deepstack mtt day 1. can you fold?

edited March 2015 in Tournament Strategy
blinds 100 200 stacks 30k
early raise and a call. sb 3 bets. early raiser now makes it 5200 and called by the sb.
flop JT2 sb c/c the 5200 bet from the early raiser
turn 2 cc
river 2 so the board is JT222 and the SB shoves his remaining 20k Which is a pot sized bet
early raiser has AA. Can he fold. No reads. 

Comments

• edited February 2015
    In Response to first levels of a live deepstack mtt day 1. can you fold?:
    blinds 100 200 stacks 30k early raise and a call. sb 3 bets. early raiser now makes it 5200 and called by the sb. flop JT2 sb c/c the 5200 bet from the early raiser turn 2 cc river 2 so the board is JT222 and the SB shoves his remaining 20k Which is a pot sized bet early raiser has AA. Can he fold. No reads. 
    Posted by GELDY
    Hi Geldy
      In reply I couldn't ,I put the sb on a pair and would be watching through my fingers hoping it was not j or t lol
      By the way I enjoy watching your play on the tv your one mean tourny player
         kerry (kerrypower)
  • edited February 2015
    If I have the roll to reload I call, but going on pre flop JJ is def in range, more so than AJ. Don't see why QQ or KK make that play, 

20k is still loads ! Is a tough one. As they say, can not win an MTT in level one but can loose it
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: first levels of a live deepstack mtt day 1. can you fold?:
    In Response to first levels of a live deepstack mtt day 1. can you fold? : Hi Geldy   In reply I couldn't ,I put the sb on a pair and would be watching through my fingers hoping it was not j or t lol   By the way I enjoy watching your play on the tv your one mean tourny player      kerry (kerrypower)
    Posted by kerrypower

you're so kind, and your first forum post as well

• edited March 2015
    so the AA tanks for ages
    and sigh calls with a comment I'm not very strong but. .....
    the sb mucks before being shown the AA

• edited March 2015
    so the AA tanks for ages and sigh calls with a comment I'm not very strong but. ..... the sb mucks before being shown the AA
    Posted by GELDY
    who was the player viktor blom by any chance sounds like one of his plays haha
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ASZKL01ss
  • edited March 2015

So our opponent has jammed and forced us to nearly fold aa. If they are happy to fire another bullet and especially if they have a jack blocker its a great play. I think it boils down to a mixture of the following
    our views on our opponent
    our perceived views on us
    whether we are happy to fire another bullet
    what we perceive our table to be like compared to other tables. (Eg could edge pass as table seems soft)

• edited March 2015
    In Response to first levels of a live deepstack mtt day 1. can you fold?:
    blinds 100 200 stacks 30k early raise and a call. sb 3 bets. early raiser now makes it 5200 and called by the sb. flop JT2 sb c/c the 5200 bet from the early raiser turn 2 cc river 2 so the board is JT222 and the SB shoves his remaining 20k Which is a pot sized bet early raiser has AA. Can he fold. No reads. 
    Posted by GELDY
    considering how low the blinds are it should be a fold
  • edited March 2015
    Thanks all
    i think another factor that increased the chance of a call was that it was still during the re entry period. The AA guy seemed good enough to work out he was probably behind but was willing to take the chance for an early double up knowing he could re enter if necessary. 
    i forgot to mention this was level 3 and re entries to the end of level 4
  • edited March 2015
    Jacks and tens flat pre, so we lose to A2 only. Always a call
  • edited March 2015
    Omg how is he ever behind here, why would someone in position 4-bet in position TT or JJ here, if he 4-bets this spot with TT JJ he is likely bluffing, which it's too strong to bluff.

What are you lot on about hes likely behind but because the re entry period, re-entry periods in tournaments don't mean people make losing play calls just cause they WAnna see the opponents cards
  • edited March 2015
    Omg how is he ever behind here, why would someone in position 4-bet in position TT or JJ here, if he 4-bets this spot with TT JJ he is likely bluffing, which it's too strong to bluff. What are you lot on about hes likely behind but because the re entry period, re-entry periods in tournaments don't mean people make losing play calls just cause they WAnna see the opponents cards
    Posted by mrleemr1
    Eh?
  • edited March 2015
    Omg how is he ever behind here, why would someone in position 4-bet in position TT or JJ here, if he 4-bets this spot with TT JJ he is likely bluffing, which it's too strong to bluff. What are you lot on about hes likely behind but because the re entry period, re-entry periods in tournaments don't mean people make losing play calls just cause they WAnna see the opponents cards
    Posted by mrleemr1
    Would it not be believable that UTG was raising for a degree of protection with the 4-bet, given that the SB could be squeezing light and (by calling the 3b) the late position caller is more likely to come along for the ride and leave us playing JJ/TT (if that is what we are putting UTG on) multi-way, without position and without initiative.

For similar reasons I'd like to think I'd call with AA on the river not because I'm just a fish (which I am), but because I'd perceive UTG to have potentially be 4-betting light due to perceiving me to be 3-bet squeezing and therefore have a wide enough range to bet river without a 2, JJ or TT.

If that makes sense...
  • edited March 2015
    mrleemr1 is right.... 4-betting JJ or TT from UTG to a SB 3-bet is really bad. SB's widest value 3-bet range has you crushed (AK, QQ+) so by 4-betting JJ or TT we are basically doing so for information because I can't imagine we're happy GII JJ pre here if SB 5-bets. Thus we're effectively turning our JJs into a bluff, and there are much better hands to do so with.

SB is not going to be squeezing light here at all unless he knows UTG to be really loose from that position. His range should be AA/KK and like a couple of bluffs.  (if he wants to balance)
  • edited March 2015
    I'm confused.

Unless I've read it wrong, the early raiser has 4bet AA and not 10s or Js.
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by mrleemr1
    Maybe re-read it as the villain in question 3bets and flats the 4bet.
  • edited March 2015
    It's a gross spot cos you just know if you call then they often roll over one of the 2 hands that beat us. Yet I'd probably level myself into calling as I'd convince myself they can also have QQ/KK and maybe the odd time a complete airball.

Think the re-entry factor is key, and the in game feel vs the villain. If said villain is the same age or older than Jac35 then its an insta fold ;)