You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tonight's Show - Cheltenham Betting Preview

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat

Tonight, it's one of those Shows you either love or loathe - a Cheltenham Betting Preview.

Comments

• edited March 2015

..but wait - it includes Cheltenham AND Poker.

2 hours of Cheltenham, & 3 hours of poker.

So that should guarantee to please everyone. Well almost everyone........

It comes with an ADDED BONUS, too.

But first, the nitty-gritty.

More follows.....
  • edited March 2015

Who, what, when?

Sean Boyce from At The Races is the Starter.

Neil Channing, (Sky Poker & Betting Emporium), Michael Shinners (SkyBet) & Dave Ord (SportingLife.com) are the jockeys. 

Yours truly will be the stable boy. "boy", you note. Love that.   

Michael & Dave will be 8pm - 10pm only, but you are stuck with Boycey, Mr Ambo & myself for all 5 hours. Marv, yba, etc.

Here's the schedule.

7pm - 8pm 

Mr Channing analyses your play at the MasterCash Tables

We'll be flitting around the MasterCash Tables, & Neil will talk - doubtless at length - about how HE would play YOUR hand. 

8pm - 10pm 

We'll look at the various big races from Prestbury Park, & Specials Markets.

10pm - 11pm 

Viva Las Vegas satellite.

We'll be covering the mid to late stages of a VLV Quarter Final.

Many players just don't "get" Satellite play, & how it differs from regular MTT's. Watch, learn & listen. Mostly listen, I guess.

11pm - Midnight 

End of the VLV Satellite, &, if time permits, more Channing analysis from the MasterCash tables.

• edited March 2015

We need your questions, be they for Poker, or Cheltenham.

Post them on this thread, please, or by Twitter ( @SkyPoker ), or that new fangled thing called e-Mail, skyopen@bskyb.com.

And that ADDED BONUS?

• edited March 2015

The ADDED BONUS?

Sky Bet are offering "MONEY BACK IF YOUR HORSE LOSES" on certain races at the Cheltenham Festival, as follows.....

http://www.skybet.com/landing/moneyback

https://www.skybet.com/horse-racing/cheltenham/event/17610066

• edited March 2015
    5 posts and no mention of the 125th anniversary of the Forth Road Bridge yesterday!

#losingyourmarbles
  • edited March 2015
    Hi all have a great show as always, I am sure I will enjoy the betting part even though I rarely bet on horses, I suspect it is because they talk alot about the value of bets rather than just who is going to win the race.

On the poker front I was at the UKPC and did not quite make day 2, but it was fun all the same.

TeKay did well even though he did not cash, rumours are that he called holding only KK preflop. Is this new loose and lagish style going to be the way forward for TK?

Neil did not re-enter the main and his reason was at least believable to all there.

We pulled Ryan (machine gun ) Spittles leg abit as he had more shots than anyone else.

Which brings me to a betting pker question, Is it best to re-enter or not, and how many times?. do you play it as a freezeout or a re-buy?
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Tonight's Show - Cheltenham Betting Preview:
    Hi all have a great show as always, I am sure I will enjoy the betting part even though I rarely bet on horses, I suspect it is because they talk alot about the value of bets rather than just who is going to win the race. On the poker front I was at the UKPC and did not quite make day 2, but it was fun all the same. TeKay did well even though he did not cash, rumours are that he called holding only KK preflop. Is this new loose and lagish style going to be the way forward for TK? Neil did not re-enter the main and his reason was at least believable to all there. We pulled Ryan (machine gun ) Spittles leg abit as he had more shots than anyone else. Which brings me to a betting pker question, Is it best to re-enter or not, and how many times?. do you play it as a freezeout or a re-buy?
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Hi Gary,

Just for the record, I think Neil had 3 Bullets, though he was pipped at the post by Ryan, who had 4. Oucho.

I called with K-K? It was worse than that - we were THREE WAY.

Incred, totes incred.

Hero call, or what?

• edited March 2015
     I made a pretty good effort at ensuring the £1m was safe Gary. I played Day 1a, day 1b and day 1d. I didn't manage to re-enter 1d because I was busy rabitting and missed the cut-off having bust about 15 minutes before the last time for buying-in.

Probably cost me about £200,000.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Tonight's Show - Cheltenham Betting Preview:
     I made a pretty good effort at ensuring the £1m was safe Gary. I played Day 1a, day 1b and day 1d. I didn't manage to re-enter 1d because I was busy rabitting and missed the cut-off having bust about 15 minutes before the last time for buying-in.  Probably cost me about £200,000.
    Posted by NChanning

Lol - odd to think that had you played the outcome would have almost certainly been different. Not sure about the £200k though ;)

• edited March 2015
    Question for the panel.

Do you think Coneygree will go for the Gold Cup ?

Without the Fav it looks a really open race.
  • edited March 2015
    Let's hope the second hour is better than last year.

Despite having a helpful and informative first hour, once you got past the big four races, with a number of horses holding multiple engagements, the second hour last year was mostly "We'll have a better idea of what's going to win this when we see the final declarations"
  • edited March 2015
    My question for the team is:-

All the top jockeys will be winning races

but which up & coming youngsters do they think could make an impact this year?

MG Nolan, Dean P ratt, Phillip Prince, Lizzie Kelly etc have they any fancied rides?

Is there a Skybet book for Top apprentice at Cheltenham. We have Top Jockey every year, I think top apprentice would be more open
  • edited March 2015
    Will tune in after the Rugby League/Darts finishes, not usually a fan of these forums but good luck with the show
  • edited March 2015
    Happy St Piran's day from all the loyal Sky Poker viewers and players in Cornwall!

• edited March 2015
    I dont understand horse racing at all, and have only ever placed one bet on a horse, while on a stag do at an event in bath i was fairly skint at the time and only went out with £20, i placed a £10 each way bet on a horse that was not fancied at all, i think it was about 10/1 well, coming into the last bend he was dead last, but he came back and won the race, and i ended up having a cracking night, goodtimes!

i might take your strongest tip tonight and see if i can keep my 100% record going.

cant do any worse than what i do on the football :)
  • edited March 2015
    A hand from mastercash, hand id 881873870

Think I should have checked the turn and saved a few quid, i hate the overshove though always is the nuts

Finally another one 881878367 is the river a raise? card blockers on his hole cards would be a good test on Channing's expertise
  • edited March 2015
    Hi guys

my nap at cheltenham is faugheen just think its a class above anything else in the champion hurdle a big improver altho hasnt beat anything much as far but the style of its wins never comes of the bridle think its a good bet

with annie power in the mares hurdle pays around 5/2 the double
  • edited March 2015
    Last longer please!

Sorry but I don't know much about horse racing, in fact once I turned up at a client site where I was due to stay for 2 days. I did my customary thing and asked the receptionist if she could please book me into the local hotel for the night.

She laughed then looked at my confused face and said you did realise this is Cheltneham Gold Cup week? (the client was in Cheltenham).

Confused and oblivious I said well I don't mind if the usual hotel is booked up as I don't mind driving a few miles.

I'll ring around but you will be lucky if you get something this side of Birmingham!

Oops - I carry on with my job and a few hours later I find that I have been very lucky. A coach party had a cancellation and they found me a room in the centre of Cheltenham. Now normally eating in a hotel restaurant is a very lonely experience, if anyone has seen the Steve Martin film lonely guy you'll know what I mean. However on this occasion it was the best night ever. I was welcomed on a table and the craic was brilliant. Fantastic bunch of chaps and chapesses. I did nurse a slight hangover the next day though.
  • edited March 2015
    Having looked at the gold cup runners and being a pin sticker

what chances Sam Winner E/W ?
  • edited March 2015
    Many clouds for me in the gold cup stays won 2 decent races this year think 8/1 is a big price
  • edited March 2015
    The thing they have in common is that they won a Vegas package in previoys years?
  • edited March 2015
    Hi tikay

did they both win packages before?

thanks DrRunGood
  • edited March 2015
    ty tk for shout out. and it was a pleasure meating u and ryan and rest of team last week even though poker didn't go as well as a hoped. and thank sky for putting such a top promotion on and fingers crossed i mange to win a package 
  • edited March 2015
    Funny you should mention injunctions ... Tikay is now not allowed within 3 miles of the Female Bromley!

Bully

Great show guys. Making me unbelivably excited about Vegas.

Natalie x
  • edited March 2015
    Yuk Yuk Yuk & more Yuk! 

So many of my fav horses in the gold cup, so I'll be spewing all over in singles/doubles/whateva ;) 

Going for Sam winner obv!
    Champ fever
    Smad place

GL punters :)

• edited March 2015
    decided I'm going for broke and on Ma Filleule instead lol