You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Cheltenham Betting Preview - You Tube Links

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat

For those that missed it, the highlights are here.

Cheltenham Day1 – 1:30 Supreme Novices Hurdle:

http://youtu.be/QH0b0qVM2Ag

Cheltenham Day1 – 2:05 Arkle Trophy:

http://youtu.be/IK3rFSgUg0U 

Cheltenham Day1 – 3:20 Champion Hurdle:

http://youtu.be/q-fiWFt2P1k 

Cheltenham Day2 – 2:05 RSA Chase:

http://youtu.be/xFelsGkBiWA 

Cheltenham Day2 – 3:20 Queen Mother Champion Chase:
http://youtu.be/Xt6nDUBO26A
Cheltenham Day3 – 2:40 Ryanair Chase:

http://youtu.be/RASSjCbhXzU 

Cheltenham Day3 – 3:20 World Hurdle:

http://youtu.be/sFrxlj8vilQ 

Cheltenham Day4 – 3:20 Gold Cup:

http://youtu.be/CtuXUDAAJrU 

Comments

• edited March 2015
    thanks for the links i missed thursdays episode but posted up my tips on the forum i will have a look now cheers :)
  • edited March 2015
    Stop wasting time posting links to the geegees
    and get back to the tables
    you have been missed

• edited March 2015

Had the show recorded and enjoyed it.

Just something that is playing on my mind after watching.

I love Neil and always try to watch the show when he is on.

Actually couldn’t be happier when he was made an ambassador for Sky.

I just felt he was put in an awkward situation on the show.

Most of us know and are signed up to a site he runs for betting.

Cheltenham for me and others is the biggest betting week of the year.

Last year was a cracker and the site was bang in form including gold cup winner. Thanks Neil : )

I had told a few friends about the site and that Neil was on Sky and to pay attention to what he said.

Had a few grumbles today about the show.

I tried to explain that Neil wouldn’t go into much detail (tbf final runners still a week away for some races) as it wouldn’t be fair on us paying customers if he gave all his picks on air.

Again this is not in any way a post against Neil just my view on the show.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Betting Preview - You Tube Links:
    Stop wasting time posting links to the geegees and get back to the tables you have been missed
    Posted by GELDY
    ;)

I've missed playing, Gelders.

I've been flat to the boards since I returned from UKPC (I was there almost 3 weeks, non-stop), & this week I had a Show to do, a visit to Leeds on Wednesday, & some Content to write. Been suffering from fatigue, or more likely adrenelin hangover this week, too.  

All being well, I'll resume my PLO8 Challenge (will it ever end?) tomorrow (Sunday). Got a busy month again, though, so it won't be every night, maybe get 15 sessions in.

Look forward to re-uniting with my wonderful friends at the PLO8 & PLO tables.

• edited March 2015
    Had the show recorded and enjoyed it. Just something that is playing on my mind after watching. I love Neil and always try to watch the show when he is on. Actually couldn’t be happier when he was made an ambassador for Sky. I just felt he was put in an awkward situation on the show. Most of us know and are signed up to a site he runs for betting. Cheltenham for me and others is the biggest betting week of the year. Last year was a cracker and the site was bang in form including gold cup winner. Thanks Neil : ) I had told a few friends about the site and that Neil was on Sky and to pay attention to what he said. Had a few grumbles today about the show. I tried to explain that Neil wouldn’t go into much detail (tbf final runners still a week away for some races) as it wouldn’t be fair on us paying customers if he gave all his picks on air. Again this is not in any way a post against Neil just my view on the show.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Morning, was great to see you at UKPC - seemed to me you had a great time there.

You make a fair point, I think, though Neil may take a different line.

The fact is, he wears several hats, so yes, it was a bit awkward. His Betting Site sells information for Cheltenham, (& followers make a very good profit), so he can hardly give away winners on a TV Show that he intends to sell via his site.

Instead, what he did on the Show was give general hints & clues, more likely what he thinks won't win, as well as general hints & tips about the various horses. We can learn a great deal just by listening to him waffle on about Cheltenham. He's a very good waffler, actually.

I have a similar situation in my life, too. I have my own poker forum elsewhere, which I work hard to make a nice place, but I also have a responsibilty to the Sky Poker Community. These conflicts of interest are not easy to juggle satisfactorily. Trying to prompt good Content on both Forums is never easy, without compromising one or the other.  

It IS a very awkward line to tread, but he tries to do it as fairly as he is able, as I'm sure you'll agree.

Have to say, just listening to Neil, Sean, Dave & Michael "talk horses" is incredibly enjoyable & educational.

I'm thinking of giving a series of talks on the history of British Bridges, & the story of how the UK motorway Network was designed , constructed & maintained. That will be just as interesting, maybe more so, I promise.

I wonder how much I should charge for tickets?   

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Betting Preview - You Tube Links : Morning, was great to see you at UKPC - seemed to me you had a great time there. You make a fair point, I think, though Neil may take a different line. The fact is, he wears several hats, so yes, it was a bit awkward. His Betting Site sells information for Cheltenham, (& followers make a very good profit), so he can hardly give away winners on a TV Show that he intends to sell via his site. Instead, what he did on the Show was give general hints & clues, more likely what he thinks won't win, as well as general hints & tips about the various horses. We can learn a great deal just by listening to him waffle on about Cheltenham. He's a very good waffler, actually.   I have a similar situation in my life, too. I have my own poker forum elsewhere, which I work hard to make a nice place, but I also have a responsibilty to the Sky Poker Community. These conflicts of interest are not easy to juggle satisfactorily. Trying to prompt good Content on both Forums is never easy, without compromising one or the other.   It IS a very awkward line to tread, but he tries to do it as fairly as he is able, as I'm sure you'll agree. Have to say, just listening to Neil, Sean, Dave & Michael "talk horses" is incredibly enjoyable & educational.   I'm thinking of giving a series of talks on the history of British Bridges, & the story of how the UK motorway Network was designed , constructed & maintained. That will be just as interesting, maybe more so, I promise.   I wonder how much I should charge for tickets?     
    Posted by Tikay10

Thanks for the reply Tony all fair points and well made.

Exactly the points I was trying to get across to the grumblers.

I personaly taught Neil made a lot of good points re Favs not to back.

I probaly shouldn't have bigged him up to the uninitiated.

Ah the UKPC was great.Had a ball meeting old friends and new.

Particulary delighted that Paul cashed such a genuine nice guy and a very good player which maybe he doesn't get the credit for.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Betting Preview - You Tube Links : Thanks for the reply Tony all fair points and well made. Exactly the points I was trying to get across to the grumblers. I personaly taught Neil made a lot of good points re Favs not to back. I probaly shouldn't have bigged him up to the uninitiated. Ah the UKPC was great.Had a ball meeting old friends and new. Particulary delighted that Paul cashed such a genuine nice guy and a very good player which maybe he doesn't get the credit for.
    Posted by day4eire76
    Grumblers are gonna grumble. It's not like they had to pay to watch, is it? Incred.

We have become a grumbling society, sad to say, people even grumble about Freerolls & Promotions. In my youth, if I'd have grumbled, I'd have got a clip round the ear & a "think yourself lucky it was not harder".

Have to say, I was chuffed to bits to read in this morning's paper than an internet troll got taken to Court, & it ended up costing him £100,000. Yay.

Delighted for Paul? Who is Paul? Paul who?

• edited March 2015
    I'm thinking of giving a series of talks on the history of British Bridges, & the story of how the UK motorway Network was designed , constructed & maintained. That will be just as interesting, maybe more so, I promise.   I wonder how much I should charge for tickets?     
    Posted by Tikay10
    If you do I will have to get one for my 7 year old daughter.  She brought back a book from school called "Great British bridges" and announced to everyone that it was the best book ever!

Strange girl
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Cheltenham Betting Preview - You Tube Links : Morning, was great to see you at UKPC - seemed to me you had a great time there. You make a fair point, I think, though Neil may take a different line. The fact is, he wears several hats, so yes, it was a bit awkward. His Betting Site sells information for Cheltenham, (& followers make a very good profit), so he can hardly give away winners on a TV Show that he intends to sell via his site. Instead, what he did on the Show was give general hints & clues, more likely what he thinks won't win, as well as general hints & tips about the various horses. We can learn a great deal just by listening to him waffle on about Cheltenham. He's a very good waffler, actually.   I have a similar situation in my life, too. I have my own poker forum elsewhere, which I work hard to make a nice place, but I also have a responsibilty to the Sky Poker Community. These conflicts of interest are not easy to juggle satisfactorily. Trying to prompt good Content on both Forums is never easy, without compromising one or the other.   It IS a very awkward line to tread, but he tries to do it as fairly as he is able, as I'm sure you'll agree. Have to say, just listening to Neil, Sean, Dave & Michael "talk horses" is incredibly enjoyable & educational.   I'm thinking of giving a series of talks on the history of British Bridges, & the story of how the UK motorway Network was designed , constructed & maintained. That will be just as interesting, maybe more so, I promise.   I wonder how much I should charge for tickets?     
    Posted by Tikay10
    I'll put you in touch with my Dad......he was a Surveyor and helped build and construct a lot of the Motorway network, starting with the M6 at Preston back in the 60's, ......including many of the bridges !!!!!!
    EDIT :.... I think he knows a lot about concrete too !!!!!!!
  • edited March 2015

I definitely agree. These shows are quite tricky if I think about my Betting Emporium hat. We will have probably twice as many people paying for the service this week and when they read the essays and analysis they will quite rightly expect that the prices have not been affected by me giving away lots of free info the week before.

Having said that when I was asked to make some videos by my friend Russ we would focus on the championship races and I figured that information on those races is pretty widely available and although I felt I had some small angles to beat the market I couldn't see that the prices would last until the day of race when I come to write stuff for Betting Emporium so nobody that is paying for that service could really complain. People still do get grumpy though.

On the 861 sports preview shows I should say that they are great fun and that we've done them for about 18 months now. The panel is always pretty big and we get opinions from Sean (who is a very shrewd judge) and Tikay (who dresses very smartly). With those two and three other people it's hard for me to give a tip in all 27 races even over two hours, I guess even with my big mouth I only spoke for about 12 minutes, they have a gap on the hour and there are bits where Tikay talks about what is happening pokerwise on Sky Poker on the night.

The main reason I don't come on and talk about what I'm betting in races like the Kim Muir, the Coral Cup, the Pertemps Final and the Festival Plate is that I have done zero work on those races a week out and I have no idea what I will end up betting. We have to also remember that a lot of the viewers are fairly casual racing fans and they may get bored if we talk for 10 minutes about the bumper. They might not actually like "their" poker programme being "hi-jacked" by horses. They can just about put up with us talking about the Gold Cup and the Champion Hurdle.

I do agree with your point to an extent and I'm definitely involved in a tricky balancing act but I thought I'd post to explain that there are a lot of different things going on in the planning of the show and my feelings going into it.

I still think despite all the tricky issues that we made a pretty good programme. I thought it was fun.