You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

An All in satellite question

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat
I see these in the lobby sometimes, and have occasionally bought into them trying to qualify, my question is, is it really worth it? for example the ones for the 1.5k BH later today (£55 BI) cost £3 and 1 in 20 people qualify (£60)
because this takes all of the skill out of the game over a big sample you are going to qualify 1 in 20 times approximately, yet i see what i believe to be very good profitable players enter them, surely this is a -EV move?

i don't really see the positives long term, of course for 20 guys that would never buy in for £55 it makes sense to try and get lucky but surely if you can afford to buying in for £55 is clearly the better option right?

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Yeah if you can afford to BI direct then it's gonna be -EV to enter an all in satellite (unless it has overlay).

Worth a punt if you don't fancy/can't afford to pay £55 though. It's only very marginally -EV and if you're a decent player then what you gain in having a decent ROI in a £55 comp is more than outweighed by losing like 30p everytime you play the AI sat (long term)
  • edited March 2015
    They are Time +EV
  • edited March 2015
    By themselves they are usually -EV. I often play them as it saves qualifying time and I can play something else while it happens.
  • edited March 2015

If your average satellite ROI is below -10%, which is about half of all players, then your long-term results in all-in tournaments will be better than you get in regular satellites.