You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

twitch streaming - sky players

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi guys just wondering if anyone streams on twitch? I know allot of pokerstars players are up there .. For those who are unaware of twitch its basicly live streaming of someone playing online poker give it a google 

But thought it would be nice to watch some players maybe get a session a week with tikay haha but it would awsome be brilliant in terms of getting new players to the site and I think any should jump on the twitch wagoon sooner than later its picking up massive audiences and getting bigger and bigger 

Cheers

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Hey Jacob,

I started up on Twitch about 2 months ago streaming my own play on Sky, discussing what I was doing/why I was doing it. Annoyingly I had to stop after the first session because I wanted the stream to be Sky based comps really and I started having connectivity problems with Sky where it just wouldn't let me log in at all, despite playing on 2-3 other sites at the same time.

All those problems are fixed now though so I'm gonna be starting it up again, with the first 'show' being probably tonight or tomorrow.

I mostly play MTTs these days so that's what I'll be streaming, fwiw my Sky evening 'schedule' is roughly...

7pm - £22BH
    7:45pm - £11BH
    8pm - £33BH (or other main event)
    8:15pm - £11BH
    8:30pm - £11BH
    9pm - £55BH
    9:30pm - £11BH
    10:15pm - £22BH
    10:30pm - £55BH (MBI)

So that should be plenty of games to keep it going from like 7/8pm - midnight+

http://www.twitch.tv/lambert180
  • edited March 2015
    I'd never heard of twitch before everyone started mentioning it on the TV thread. Is it actually live? Surely there is an obvious problem with this?
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players:
    I'd never heard of twitch before everyone started mentioning it on the TV thread. Is it actually live? Surely there is an obvious problem with this?
    Posted by FlashFlush
    Lol I know what you're saying, but everyone who streams poker does it on a 2-3 minute delay to avoid people knowing their hand in-game. Ofc, people may know what you've folded or what you 4b bluffed with etc but 1) that's the same as 861 showing mastercash or the main event and 2) unless I was on a table with quite a few sky regs that knew about my stream/watched it, chances are most people on your table won't even know about the stream/be able to see what you were holding in past hands.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players : Lol I know what you're saying, but everyone who streams poker does it on a 2-3 minute delay to avoid people knowing their hand in-game. Ofc, people may know what you've folded or what you 4b bluffed with etc but 1) that's the same as 861 showing mastercash or the main event and 2) unless I was on a table with quite a few sky regs that knew about my stream/watched it, chances are most people on your table won't even know about the stream/be able to see what you were holding in past hands.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Ah OK, I figured you must be on a delay, but when people were saying they were streaming their hands live I started rubbing my hands together.
  • edited March 2015
    I've recently atarted to watch a couple of players on this, Kristy Arnett being quite good. It's interesting to see the number of hands folded, which you don't get to see on the TV, so you don't get the impression that players play every hand and someone always has the nuts.
    Have thought about streaming myself, but I believe the PC requirements are quite high (i.e. higher than my netbook).
  • edited March 2015
    I've recently atarted to watch a couple of players on this, Kristy Arnett being quite good. It's interesting to see the number of hands folded, which you don't get to see on the TV, so you don't get the impression that players play every hand and someone always has the nuts. Have thought about streaming myself, but I believe the PC requirements are quite high (i.e. higher than my netbook).
    Posted by Benchmark
    I think it's less about PC spec and more about your connection, more specifically your upload speed. Obviously aving a half decent computer is good too, but with hosting a stream it's all about upload speed.
  • edited March 2015
    Hmm.. My speed is good. Might have another look at it.
  • edited March 2015
    Im planning on streaming done a few testers, was going to be starting again properly tomorrow but will delay till friday with final show tomorrow. 

Will be doing low stakes cash/micromillions series on that other site,

P.S. ignore the offline picture thats getting changed
  • edited March 2015
    Nice guys I'll give you a follow look forward to watching you :) hopefully learn a trick or two as well

Jake
  • edited March 2015
    I'd never heard of "twitch" until yesterday, and giving it a quick look it looked like it was designed for kids playing video games. It's obviously a lot more than that and I'll have to investigate further.
  • S7NS7N
    edited March 2015
    I would be very keen on seeing some others play, could learn a lot for newbie

Is it possibe to chat to the host at the same time?
  • edited March 2015
    I would be very keen on seeing some others play, could learn a lot for newbie Is it possibe to chat to the host at the same time?
    Posted by S7N
    Lambert needs to source a translator for his audience first.
  • edited March 2015
    Nice guys I'll give you a follow look forward to watching you :) hopefully learn a trick or two as well

Jake
  • edited March 2015
    I would be very keen on seeing some others play, could learn a lot for newbie Is it possibe to chat to the host at the same time?
    Posted by S7N
    Yer man there a delay but you can message the host questions and stuff and they usually more than happy to answer its really good fun I've learnt loads from watching various streams 
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by S7N
    Yer man there a delay but you can message the host questions and stuff and they usually more than happy to answer its really good fun I've learnt loads from watching various streams 
  • edited March 2015
    I'd never heard of "twitch" until yesterday, and giving it a quick look it looked like it was designed for kids playing video games. It's obviously a lot more than that and I'll have to investigate further.
    Posted by FCHD
    it pretty much was... but poker is becomming one of the larger things on it
  • edited March 2015
    Posted by S7N

yes during a stream theres a chat box on the right hand side, alot of streamers will keep an eye on this and reply when they see. Often action is on a delay so you may have to wait for your reply
  • edited March 2015
    I'm going to drop in later, Lambert, to see how you're getting on. In the absence of 861 coverage from next week, is it worth there being a twitch schedule forum post so those who want to follow can do so?

I probably don't quite have the spec to twitch myself, but would like to follow those kind enough to show their hands. And if I got a bit of confidence I'd consider trying it later on if it took off. Seems like a great way of the community carrying on some coverage when there isn't a show on elsewhere.

Good luck to you tonight L.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players : Lambert needs to source a translator for his audience first.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Lol, did you not notice the other person who mentioned himself streaming above (Don) is from Scotland. There's a man who genuinely needs a translator :)
  • edited March 2015
    I'm going to drop in later, Lambert, to see how you're getting on. In the absence of 861 coverage from next week, is it worth there being a twitch schedule forum post so those who want to follow can do so? I probably don't quite have the spec to twitch myself, but would like to follow those kind enough to show their hands. And if I got a bit of confidence I'd consider trying it later on if it took off. Seems like a great way of the community carrying on some coverage when there isn't a show on elsewhere. Good luck to you tonight L.
    Posted by IRONZ
    Cheers Ironz. I think I'm gonna be taking the night off tonight though.

I would do tomorrow night but I think given it's the last ever show on 861, everyone is gonna wanna watch that. I'll probably do a little 'dry run' for tomorrow's morning session, but that'll be stars/888/party cos there is literally zero comps worth playing on Sky in the mornings. Dunno how many people will be around like 9am - 3pm like so might be a quiet one, but then hopefully get a decent turn out when I stream on Friday night.

A forum schedule is a decent idea if a few people wanna get involved like, either way I'll post up on my diary/twitter/FB when I'm gonna do a 'show'.
  • edited March 2015
    And yes, as Don said, there is a chatbox for anyone to ask questions. I'll have the stream on like a 2-3 minute delay just so no-one on my table could watch the stream and know what hand I have while playing a hand against me but my audio will be in sync with that delay so you won't be hearing me explain my thought processes about a hand that happened 2-3 minutes earlier, it will all be in sync.

I'm always happy to answer any questions, whether it's about a hand I played, something more general about poker/how I got started/playing full time, or just favourite TV shows... The more viewer interaction the better, it flows a lot better when people get involved and I'm not just sat talking to myself lol.
  • edited March 2015
    Just finished my first stream and it went pretty well. Started a bit slow but I managed to finish 4th in a $33 FO on stars so that probably helped and I peaked at about 40 viewers towards the end which I'm told is pretty good going for a first show.

I'll be back again Friday morning or Friday night. If you follow me on there then you'll get an email when I go live anyway.
  • edited March 2015
    Ill have a gander Friday.. This twitch thing changes the game really, if you become a partner the money from advertising can be pretty good. If you can sustain the stream for long periods of time. 

The Stickyrice streams were preddy damn lol. 
  • edited March 2015
    Just finished my first stream and it went pretty well. Started a bit slow but I managed to finish 4th in a $33 FO on stars so that probably helped and I peaked at about 40 viewers towards the end which I'm told is pretty good going for a first show. I'll be back again Friday morning or Friday night. If you follow me on there then you'll get an email when I go live anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Watched for abit paul and looked as thought u struggled for convo when low viewered (unsuprising tbh) then picked up as you got some more

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players : Watched for abit paul and looked as thought u struggled for convo when low viewered (unsuprising tbh) then picked up as you got some more
    Posted by The_Don90
    Yeah it is pretty tough trying to have a conversation with yourself like lol... unless you've lost the plot.

Talking about the games is fine, but then a lot of the time it's like 'yehh fold pre' and you can only fit 4 tables on at a time so was trying to fill it up with just updates of how I'm getting on in other comps off stream that I'd move over to the stream once I'd bust one of the 4 on the stream etc. Either way, tbh I expect I'm gonna be pretty bad at it at first, cos it just aint that easy, just gotta stick at it, get experience etc.

Yeah was a lot better once a few more joined, even just 1 person asking questions is decent cos it takes a while to reply, and you're talking about the games too, then your reply probably sparks another question and it just flows.
  • edited March 2015
    Just finished my first stream and it went pretty well. Started a bit slow but I managed to finish 4th in a $33 FO on stars so that probably helped and I peaked at about 40 viewers towards the end which I'm told is pretty good going for a first show. I'll be back again Friday morning or Friday night. If you follow me on there then you'll get an email when I go live anyway.
    Posted by Lambert180
    Hi Paul, prob daft Q but do you have to register on Twitch to watch /get e-mails?  I dipped in & out today but obvs missed you.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players : Hi Paul, prob daft Q but do you have to register on Twitch to watch /get e-mails?  I dipped in & out today but obvs missed you.
    Posted by Glenelg
    Erm.. I think you can view streams and chat in the chatbox without becoming a member (I think you'd show up as 'Guest' instead a username you'd pick), but to 'Follow' a twitch user so that you get email notifications of when they go live you need to sign up. It's free thuogh and takes probably 60 seconds.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players : Erm.. I think you can view streams and chat in the chatbox without becoming a member (I think you'd show up as 'Guest' instead a username you'd pick), but to 'Follow' a twitch user so that you get email notifications of when they go live you need to sign up. It's free thuogh and takes probably 60 seconds.
    Posted by Lambert180

Ok Paul willdo. 

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: twitch streaming - sky players : Yeah it is pretty tough trying to have a conversation with yourself like lol... unless you've lost the plot. Talking about the games is fine, but then a lot of the time it's like 'yehh fold pre' and you can only fit 4 tables on at a time so was trying to fill it up with just updates of how I'm getting on in other comps off stream that I'd move over to the stream once I'd bust one of the 4 on the stream etc. Either way, tbh I expect I'm gonna be pretty bad at it at first, cos it just aint that easy, just gotta stick at it, get experience etc. Yeah was a lot better once a few more joined, even just 1 person asking questions is decent cos it takes a while to reply, and you're talking about the games too, then your reply probably sparks another question and it just flows.
    Posted by Lambert180

I should be fine then lol

Update for my stream, was planning a small tester tonight. Set up second monitor etc to make it easier, got some help from a friend with some basic things. BOOM, mic is broke. So asked my lovely other half to pic me one up tomorrow while shes down town, so she's going to but will be a pretty poor quality mic i'd have thought due to current budget constraints.