You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

UKOPS PLO8

edited March 2015 in Poker Chat
Why is there an Omaha event but no PLO8 in the UKOPS?

I know PLO8 isn't exactly thriving on Sky but, at least in other sites, tournament series always offer the chance to play games that aren't that popular. Every time I look I this forum there are threads about PLO8 so there's obviously a loyal player base even if at low stakes. I'm sure most people who like the game would be willing to play a £22 tourney once every few months if it was part of the UKOPS and it'd get others involved too. Doesn't have to have a huge guarantee.

Anyone agree? Maybe if enough show interest someone will take notice. 

Comments

• edited March 2015

Hi Ranners.

It's hard to fit everything in, especially as in UKOPS, they want a decent number of players, & NLH will always get more interest, for all sorts of reasons.

An odd thing though - & I'm totally guessing, I've never tried or thought to check - but I fancy that on Sky Poker, the PLO8 MTT's get more runners than the PLO MTT's.

Amiright, amiwrong?

Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong.

The bookies make me long odds on to be wrong, obv. ;)

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: UKOPS PLO8:
    Hi Ranners. It's hard to fit everything in, especially as in UKOPS, they want a decent number of players, & NLH will always get more interest, for all sorts of reasons. An odd thing though - & I'm totally guessing, I've never tried or thought to check - but I fancy that on Sky Poker, the PLO8 MTT's get more runners than the PLO MTT's.   Amiright, amiwrong? Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong. The bookies make me long odds on to be wrong, obv. ;)  
    Posted by Tikay10
    As a player of both I say you're deffo right Tony. I don't bother playing  mtts on sky as there isn't the numbers. Judging by how frequently plo8 snags start I'd deffo say plo8 is way more popular. 

Surely someone in the geek room at Sky hq can have a look at past field sizes and the number of sngs played per day and see just how much more plo8 is.

Personally I'd have to be pushed to play plo in the Ukops but would be 100% to play a plo8.
  • edited March 2015
    Your not wrong tikay there is far more players on the plo8 side so just don,t get why they have put a plo game on again instead of giving a game that has a bigger player base on site a slot maybe u could ask the suits!

Pretty sure that even with a £2000 gtd at £22 buy in would easilly get the 100 runners needed  especially if there was rebuy/s and add ons  and if there was some sats running in the days leading upto it and the fact it is a 1 off ukops event im sure there would be that little bit more interest too push it over the line..but hey ho 

Also agree with cowhead there is other series upcoming on other sites and both have plo8 in the scheldule and both have plenty of sats and qualifiers for them with varying buy ins seems thats where i will be heading during the ukops sadly as sky is my main site but i,m slowly but surely being led elsewhere.

Also on another site they run sats but u don,t get the cash u get tokens for that buyin maybe sky could try some of these for the players that accually want too play the games and not just wanting the money would give the lower stake players more of a chance getting into some of the bigger buy in games 

Anyway thats my tuppence worth all the best 

• edited March 2015
    Hi Ranners. It's hard to fit everything in, especially as in UKOPS, they want a decent number of players, & NLH will always get more interest, for all sorts of reasons. An odd thing though - & I'm totally guessing, I've never tried or thought to check - but I fancy that on Sky Poker, the PLO8 MTT's get more runners than the PLO MTT's.   Amiright, amiwrong? Shoot me down in flames if I'm wrong. The bookies make me long odds on to be wrong, obv. ;)  
    Posted by Tikay10

Yeah I agree that Holdem will always be more popular and that's fine. The thing is, the blurb says there's something for everyone and there are 36 events with buyins going from £3.30 to £110, but only 1 non holdem game. Sky only have 3 variants to begin with, it's not like they have to accomodate Stud, Draw, Razz etc. 34 holdem and 1 PLO, 1 PLO8 is still pretty heavily in favour of holdem.  

I reckon you're right as well.
  • edited March 2015
    Your not wrong tikay there is far more players on the plo8 side so just don,t get why they have put a plo game on again instead of giving a game that has a bigger player base on site a slot maybe u could ask the suits! Pretty sure that even with a £2000 gtd at £22 buy in would easilly get the 100 runners needed  especially if there was rebuy/s and add ons  and if there was some sats running in the days leading upto it and the fact it is a 1 off ukops event im sure there would be that little bit more interest too push it over the line..but hey ho  Also agree with cowhead there is other series upcoming on other sites and both have plo8 in the scheldule and both have plenty of sats and qualifiers for them with varying buy ins seems thats where i will be heading during the ukops sadly as sky is my main site but i,m slowly but surely being led elsewhere. Also on another site they run sats but u don,t get the cash u get tokens for that buyin maybe sky could try some of these for the players that accually want too play the games and not just wanting the money would give the lower stake players more of a chance getting into some of the bigger buy in games  Anyway thats my tuppence worth all the best 
    Posted by churchy18
    well hold on alittle, since the introduction of 3.3, many PL08 sng regs rarely venture above this level.

on thurs eves, the 1.10 and 2.20 have the larger fields.

I doubt many holdem regs will try a PL08 tourney for £22

£5.50 or £11 is more realistic with 150-200 runners. 3k/5k starting stack pls.

my 2 cents.

• edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: UKOPS PLO8 : well hold on alittle, since the introduction of 3.3, many PL08 sng regs rarely venture above this level. on thurs eves, the 1.10 and 2.20 have the larger fields. I doubt many holdem regs will try a PL08 tourney for £22 £5.50 or £11 is more realistic with 150-200 runners. 3k/5k starting stack pls. my 2 cents.
    Posted by suzy666

No probs penny change for you lo!

Looking at traffic on site in both variants what do you think is most likely too meet the guarantee?

Like me you will say PLO8 but sky have not tried a big PLO8(that i remember) event( and too be fair they put a £200 gtd on a £2.20game and it was £60+ sky had too make up for the guarentee!

But on the other hand pretty sure the PLO events have met its guarantee at that level the last few events sky have had!

As i said in my other post PLO8 £2000gtd would probably meet the guarantee at £22 with rebuys and add ons 100 players or 60 plus then add ons/rebuys makes the £2000 i would think (ITS A 1 OF EVENT WHICH ADDS INTEREST AFTER ALL)... or if it was £11  the guarentee would more than likely have too be £1000 as hoping for 100 players 2 enter and add on/rebuy too a game that at most i have seen has had 70ish(£1 game) in all the PLO8 mtts i have played over the years(must be more than 10 now) so would sky do a £2000gtd PLO8 major event at £11?needing 100 too play and rebuy? 

Either way just hoping the  next ukops has a PLO8 event and all us 08 ploppers can show sky it is what we want and we smash the guarentee.... after all actions speak louder than words.....all the best churchy

• edited March 2015
    I would agree that with the amount of events and how few different games there are on sky it would be nice to see at least one PLO8 tourney in there. 

To address churchy and cowhead's points about PLO8 being more popular - that may be the case with SNG's. But correct me if I'm wrong, a lot of that has been down to tikay - his involvement in these games at the small stakes has encouraged lots of players to try out the format just to be able to play with tikay. As a result, PLO8 has grown and thrived at the small stake SNG's. 

However, the majority of these players are low stake players - there are ofc regulars there that beat up the game quite nicely and can and would play a decent buyin PLO8 event of £22. But there are equally a lot of players where a tournament like this might be just a bit too big for their bankroll. Thus, we might see a decent number of good winning holdem regs playing the tournament just for a bit of something different (because they can afford it) but it might not do so well in attracting the less regular players. I imagine if tikay played in it though it would definitely help attract some more runners from the recreational players.

Whilst PLO doesn't really get any action at the SNG's, it gets plenty of action at cash and is by far the more popular format of the two. Lots of regs are also more familiar with PLO having dabbled more in it than they have at PLO8 - which is a much trickier game to try and master!
  • edited March 2015

Some interesting, & very good, posts here.

Me? You all know, I'd LOVE there to be a UKOPS PLO8, & if I had any say in these things (I don't), there'd be one.

We have to be careful in dissing the Business though - what we all tend to do is complain if a decision does not suit US personally, but we do so by saying "sort it out Sky, this is a bad decision". (As per Ch 861, say). Really, so often, we mean "this does not suit ME". 

FWIW, over at 'Stars they are running Micro Millions right now, which has 100 events. Of those 100 events, exactly ONE is PLO8. (There are 3 PLO events).   

It's just not as popular as a few of us would wish, that's all.
  • edited March 2015
    But sky have a bigger player pool of PLO8 players to any other site I've played on including poker stars...now if they wasn't any other variants other than holder we could understand but to include plo were the mt
    ts only get around 10-20 runners and most don't even get that 

Like you say sky want more bang for the bucks if the players a taste they they may get more bang for there bucks 

I've very rarely see Hu or or sng on plo but games in the lobby upto 50 pound plus 
    Plo8 still have 11 max with games running every hour of every day 
  • edited March 2015
    But sky have a bigger player pool of PLO8 players to any other site I've played on including poker stars...now if they wasn't any other variants other than holder we could understand but to include plo were the mt ts only get around 10-20 runners and most don't even get that  Like you say sky want more bang for the bucks if the players a taste they they may get more bang for there bucks  I've very rarely see Hu or or sng on plo but games in the lobby upto 50 pound plus  Plo8 still have 11 max with games running every hour of every day 
    Posted by bluffulot6
    Have to say, I SO wish we had bigger than £11 PLO8 DYM's, I'd play them non-stop, 7 nights per week.

Not enough demand, to be fair.

We can but wish though, eh?
  • edited March 2015
    I play and have played on many sites, this site has a higher proportion of PLO8 players that any other for some reason,. Despite this it is still only a small proportion of the players and most of those are small stake players who are playing it for fun, just like me in fact. My own opinion for what it is worth is, as this UKOPS is supposed to be a fun celebration thing for the players, whilst drawing in revenue at the same time. then it should be set up as follows. All main tournies each day just have to be NL Holdem, as this is where the money is and the main market lies, most if not all 2nd tier tournaments also have to be NL Holdem for the same reasons, but I think one low level tournament should be a special each day i.e. PLO/PLO8/Limit so as to be seen to be catering for all on the site not just those who play NL Holdem and can afford £110 buy-ins.
  • edited March 2015
    I play and have played on many sites, this site has a higher proportion of PLO8 players that any other for some reason,. Despite this it is still only a small proportion of the players and most of those are small stake players who are playing it for fun, just like me in fact. My own opinion for what it is worth is, as this UKOPS is supposed to be a fun celebration thing for the players, whilst drawing in revenue at the same time. then it should be set up as follows. All main tournies each day just have to be NL Holdem, as this is where the money is and the main market lies, most if not all 2nd tier tournaments also have to be NL Holdem for the same reasons, but I think one low level tournament should be a special each day i.e. PLO/PLO8/Limit so as to be seen to be catering for all on the site not just those who play NL Holdem and can afford £110 buy-ins.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    Good Post that, Gary, imo.

UKOPS is evolving, they make it better every time, & eventually, it'll be spot on.

• edited March 2015
    But sky have a bigger player pool of PLO8 players to any other site I've played on including poker stars...now if they wasn't any other variants other than holder we could understand but to include plo were the mt ts only get around 10-20 runners and most don't even get that  Like you say sky want more bang for the bucks if the players a taste they they may get more bang for there bucks  I've very rarely see Hu or or sng on plo but games in the lobby upto 50 pound plus  Plo8 still have 11 max with games running every hour of every day 
    Posted by bluffulot6

You around tonight, Tony?

I've only played one session in the whole of March so far, but if there are a bunch of £5.50 & £11 games going tonight, I'll try & have a dabble.

If I play, I want to play plenty, don't want to set aside the evening & only a handful of games run, but I'll check the lobby later & might just sit in. I really have that urge to play some poker right now. No matter what my worries & stresses are in real life, playing PLO or PLO8 always makes me forget them, & feel better.

• edited March 2015

To play devils advocate here.....plus this thread is very pro PLO8, here is my opinion on it all.

YES, I agree it would be really nice to include PLO8 in this UKOPS series. However, the pool of players pushing it here ALL play the game and will obv have a unbalanced view (IMHO). The PLO games do get well supported in the UKOPS games FWIW....but here is my main point...

Has the influx of the PLO8 games had a detrimental effect on the PLO games on Sky Poker?

I ask the above as last night I wanted to get some PLO practice in. There were NO DYM's running at PLO, and hardly any run now anyway, so I had to play cash (badly) instead. I don't know the numbers involved or the liquidity of it all so I am just going from my view of things ATM.

I, admittedly, do not play PLO8 so perhaps my view is unbalanced too.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: UKOPS PLO8 : You around tonight, Tony? I've only played one session in the whole of March so far, but if there are a bunch of £5.50 & £11 games going tonight, I'll try & have a dabble. If I play, I want to play plenty, don't want to set aside the evening & only a handful of games run, but I'll check the lobby later & might just sit in. I really have that urge to play some poker right now. No matter what my worries & stresses are in real life, playing PLO or PLO8 always makes me forget them, & feel better.  
    Posted by Tikay10
    No tony 
    I'm back playing plo8 cash on stars 
    But won't be playing on any site this evening mate 

If your playing the very best of luck mate but there seems to be very little liquidity any the 11 pounds games again mate so I think your right the suites won't add any higher games so it looks like stars cash will get my rake ( plus I'm making around 100 per week)  
    So can't complain