You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Retro Diary - Roll up Roll up - 2/3 Days Only....

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi ya’all,  
As you can see from my avatar it’s my Skypoker birthday today.
It’s been 4 years since I came across Skypoker/Ch 865 through VERY strange circumstances. More of which later....
Therefore, because of the demise of CH861 I thought I’d do a retrospective diary.  
Unfortunately, a bit about my life is required to add perspective to my story... 
I was born into an Irish travelling family  and was the youngest of seven brothers.
My dad was also the youngest of seven brothers which meant I was the 7th son of a 7th son. I don’t have the room to elaborate on this here but many things were expected of me which I was unwilling/unable to deliver and I knew as I got older could  put me in a very difficult position'  ( For details of 7th  son of 7th   and the implications - Google is your friend) 
My dad and a couple of his brothers were boxers, mostly bare knuckle, plying their trade in shows/fairs throughout Ireland.  Being the youngest brother of aspiring boxers I became an unofficial punch bag and life was brutal.  From a young age I somehow felt I wasn’t meant for this type of life. (More of this later)
Where’s the poker I hear you ask.  Well, twice a week usually Friday nights & Sunday afternoons there was always a home game somewhere close.   I wasn’t particularly interested in card games but apparently my dad was a VERY good poker player and played it all his life.  
Travelling a lot meant education was spasmodic but when I got the opportunity I embraced it.  I was an exceptionally bright kid (which didn’t go down well with some folk - sigh)  There were very few of my elders that could read/write, but my mother encouraged me , and when I was about 9 or 10 my potential ability was spotted at one school I attended briefly which was run by Christian Brothers. They managed to persuade my folks to let me board with them for a few months.  I guess it meant one less mouth to feed.  I was torn, leaving home versus education.   Education won.
It wasn’t long before I found out I had gone from one brutal environment to an equally brutal one but at least I was getting an education.  Also, I had expected to be bullied because of my appearance, background and the fact I was 3 to 4 years behind for my age in education terms, but to my surprise I wasn’t. Many years later I learned it was because of my father & his brothers  reputations!!  Lolz 
As you can see from my avatar I’m a climber.  Have been all my life and one of my earliest memories aged 4/5 was falling out of a tree trying to retrieve a ball and breaking my left arm.   2 x weeks later In an attempt to retrieve the  same ball out of the same tree…  I fell and broke my right arm!  My left arm was still in a plaster/stookie!   I’ve broke a lot of bones climbing…………

T.B.C.    Maybe………

Comments

• edited March 2015
    Yes please, Chapter 2 if you don't mined, interesting read Glen lad.

Regards Alan (plo8 champion)

• edited March 2015

Nice post Glenelg.

Looking forward to more.

• edited March 2015
    Very interesting Glenelg.

I have alot of admiration for people who aren't handed everything to them on a plate at a young age and embrace it to become the success they are today.

Tikay is a shining example.

Regards,

James
  • edited March 2015
    nice read mate look forward to the next one 

goin to get the same ball twice made me laugh :)
  • edited March 2015

Would love to hear more about the boxing, was it legal? How did 'fights' work? How were they arranged? How organised were they? legal? 

Did it ever descend into a massive brawl? 

Must've been brutal to watch as a youth, but maybe it was just 'normal' and therefore no big deal? 

gl with the cards this weekend! 

• edited March 2015

Fascinating stuff, more please Pad.

Can I assume you were, or are, a "Traveller"?

If so, you must know all about discrimination.

My best friend, kindred spirit & soul brother in life is a man called Tom McCready, known on many poker sites as "Red-Dog", who, many years ago, used to own the "Daddy" on Ladbrokes.

He is a Romany Gypsy - proper Gypsy, lives in a caravan (well, a mobile home) in a field in Leicester.

I never in my life, met a man I could trust more than Tom, do a deal, shake hands, that's it.

It's quite strange to visit him too, Romany Gypsies, to the surprise of many, are scrupulously clean & hygienic - woe betide anyone who washes their hands in the kitchen sink.

I could write a book about Tom, & his family, & the discrimination he has faced, & faces.

Anyway, my point is, Romany Gypsies, Travellers & the like still face horrific discrimination. In both cases, they are, officially, an "Ethnic Minority", so it amounts to racism.

We live in strange times.

Please tell us more about your life. This might just be the best diary ever.
  • edited March 2015
    I'm hooked ;-) life stories with a little poker thrown in are much more interesting than just poker! Has great potential for a book too ...go on I would buy it.
  • edited March 2015
    In Response to Re: Retro Diary - Roll up Roll up - 2/3 Days Only....:
    I'm hooked ;-) life stories with a little poker thrown in are much more interesting than just poker! Has great potential for a book too ...go on I would buy it.
    Posted by a00rock
    Absolutely that.

I get we are all different, & that's good, but personally I can't & don't read "poker only" Diaries, where it's just flop stories.

Nothing wrong with them, nothing at all, but it's just not my thing.  
  • edited March 2015
    Yes, to more chapters of your life story please. Always like to read interesting biographies and life stuff with or without poker thrown in for good measure. Good luck at the tables,

Dave.
  • edited March 2015

no more trees, pad. 

• edited March 2015
    Hi guys,  thanks for comments.  I'll reply in full laterz when I'm no longer in any tourneys.   About 9ish!  ;-)
  • edited March 2015
    gr8 read glenelg. 

I also prefer hearing life stories from poker players, rather than just strategy advice. I watched a youtube vid last night with Jason Koo n called "Poker Life Podcast". That one was 2 and 1/2 hours although some of the others are a bit shorter. It won,t make you a better player but was a fasciniting watch.
     They,ve also had jungleman, David Benefield among others incl. the latest one with Daniel Negreanu which i,ll be watching this weekend
    Look forward to the next installment glenelg
  • edited March 2015
    great reading glenelg 
  • edited March 2015
    and Pad's back in da room.....
    Poker related.....

I'm will post my next diary laterz but just wanna say that when I first discovered Skypoker for some strange reason I thought it was important to learn/know players real names!  How weird is that??   I had a "post it pad"  on my office wall and for the first few weeks I tried to learn names!!!  
     Anyhoo, tonight I thought it would be nice to list the first players I came across as a newbie..
    I decided to post a few hands in the poker clinic...and quite few players helped me.
    But two stand out .. Dohhhhhhh & Grantorino.
    GT pm'd me a couple of times and I gotta say he was BRUTAL in his honesty!  
    The post it pad reads (and dont forget I KNOW all ya names!)
    Trip5
    Machka
    Dudeskin
    Scousered
    DTWbandit
    Solack (shared a table with Solly tonite)
    Acidman
    Maxally
    Yidette9
    Amybr

When I first joined Skypoker I shared tables with the above and they made my experience of playing poker ..............

THANK YOU!

• edited March 2015
    Come on Glenelg, give us some more, this is a really interesting diary.
  • edited March 2015
  • edited March 2015
      Would love to hear more about the boxing, was it legal? How did 'fights' work? How were they arranged? How organised were they? legal?  Did it ever descend into a massive brawl?  Must've been brutal to watch as a youth, but maybe it was just 'normal' and therefore no big deal?  gl with the cards this weekend! 
    Posted by DOHHHHHHH
    Hi JJ,
    The "Boxing" came in many guises.  The shows/fairs, at that time in Ireland, had a boxing ring where all-comers would try and spend a "round" in the ring with the resident boxer.  If you did you won a prize/money.  Gloves were worn & my dad & his brothers were the resident boxers & rotated in the ring.  I only recall watching them once/twice as it didn't really hold my interest.  From what my brothers said at the time, and it makes economical sense, the boxing was for FUN and it was in the show/fair owners interests that some visitors would win!  I mean if no-one won they would stop spending their money. 
    The bare-knuckle side was much more clandestine.  Again I only recall attending one fight,  which involved my uncle.  I recall it only lasted a few minutes.  I don't actually know how it was arranged.  I remember my dad being away on a few occasions for 3/4 days where on his return and it was was obvious from his appearance he hadn't been flower arranging!  

• edited March 2015

Great stuff. I think those fights (bare-knuckle) were sometimes called "straighteners", because folks "straightened things up" by fighting.
  • edited March 2015
    Fascinating stuff, more please Pad. Can I assume you were, or are, a "Traveller"? If so, you must know all about discrimination. My best friend, kindred spirit & soul brother in life is a man called Tom McCready, known on many poker sites as "Red-Dog", who, many years ago, used to own the "Daddy" on Ladbrokes.   He is a Romany Gypsy - proper Gypsy, lives in a caravan (well, a mobile home) in a field in Leicester. I never in my life, met a man I could trust more than Tom, do a deal, shake hands, that's it.   It's quite strange to visit him too, Romany Gypsies, to the surprise of many, are scrupulously clean & hygienic - woe betide anyone who washes their hands in the kitchen sink. I could write a book about Tom, & his family, & the discrimination he has faced, & faces. Anyway, my point is, Romany Gypsies, Travellers & the like still face horrific discrimination. In both cases, they are, officially, an "Ethnic Minority", so it amounts to racism. We live in strange times. Please tell us more about your life. This might just be the best diary ever.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Yes, I was a traveller.  I was born in, lived and travelled in horse drawn carriages.  
    I don't remember nor did I experience much discrimination.  I suppose at that time in Ireland travellers were more common-place & tolerated than now?   I do know (now) that the Irish government did recognise travellers as a problem and from the late 1960's created "official campsites".    

Part two is a work in progress but nearly finished.....................
  • edited April 2015
    Great stuff. I think those fights (bare-knuckle) were sometimes called "straighteners", because folks "straightened things up" by fighting.
    Posted by Tikay10
    Think you might mean "straightened things OUT"? 
  • edited April 2015
     Hey Pad long time hope your good :)......came across your post looking for the DYM challenge thread, Really looking forward to next chapter of this missed out last time think you got as far as being in the army i think and coming back home ....as i said before alot of courage to come on any forum and post about your past well done Dub.....
  • edited April 2015
    Hi ya'all
     Sorry for delay but I've been away and when I got back life kicked me in da nuts as per ..Devilfish was a hero of mine and mehh.   Contd..
    Climbing …..   One of the towns we visited annually had a humungous boulder close to where we camped.  It was circa 30/40 foot high & the locals said it was the remains of a  meteorite.  Inevitably, the climber in me became attracted to it like a moth to a flame and for a couple of summers I spent a LOT of time unsuccessfully trying to climb  “Meaty”.  My folks & brothers thought I was just mad!  
    The third year & first night back in town for the summer I sneaked off at dusk to reacquaint myself with Meaty and lo and behold found myself on top!  On getting down.. well I hadn’t really given getting down much thought TBH!  (Early climbing mistake! Duh!!)
    At this point I could tell you lies and say I spent a miserable night, cold, scared & lonely, but I didn‘t.  In fact, I spent one of the most magical nights of my life listening to sounds one only hears on cloudless, warm summer nights in Ireland.   My most unforgettable memory…the sound of corncrakes. 
    What are CORNRAKES I hear you ask?  Well, they are VERY secretive birds that nest in corn & barley and were common in Ireland when I grew up. They are very vocal and have distinctive nocturnal calls …they simply call out their names!  “Corncrake.. Corncrake”.  
    I remained stranded on Meaty until late the next morning when, after being discovered missing, I was rescued by a search party comprising family and locals. 
    I learned later the locals said that, to their knowledge,  Meaty had never been free climbed before.  I was initially elated but failure gnawed at me as only getting up & down meant success.   I remedied this the following year!   Also, no bones were broken….Oh btw ..I was aged 11 & 12 at the time…….. ;-)

• edited April 2015
    Life……  
    Fast forward 4 or 5 years……I’ve now spent roughly 50% of my time between family and boarding school and I’m even more desperate to “escape” from the family & its way of life.  I am no longer the punch bag at home but it’s obvious I’ve  become an outsider. To complicate things I now have a girlfriend. 
    Jeez Pad ..like you don’t have enough problems I hear you cry!!   Sigh..
    BTW I’m gonna skip .. learning latin, becoming an altar boy…. mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!
    TBC
  • edited April 2015
    Hi YA’all
    A chance table talk (with a hero of mine)  made me realise some folk actually read my “blog” so….I continue
     LIFE ….At boarding school life was tough.. but I coped… & then some.. probably due to my upbringing…
    One day a really sadistic (American ) English teacher who introduced himself to the class (I’m aged 10/11) by lining us all up and giving  everyone 6 of the best with a leather strap!!   Imagine the anticipation of the impending leather...  After it was all over & amidst wailing and tears, he said.. “That was for doing nothing!  Just think what you’ll get if you really messed up!”   
    Although I was used to pain he caught my attention I can tell ya! 
    After the lesson he gave us our homework for the next day.  There was a hint of more leather in his voice when he told us to learn Marc Anthony’s speech  “Friends, Romans Countrymen”     WTF !!!!!
    The next day at English class we were all quaking in our boots! When homework came up he asked for a show of hands of how many lines people could recite.  4/6/8  etc.  I was last hand up, bit the bullet,  and despite a shaky start managed to recite it all!  Kerching!!!
    I was flabbergasted (and a tad peedd off)  when he said “Well done! That’s the first time anyone has learnt it all! I only expect folk to learn 20  lines at most!”  
     In a strange way he taught me a valuable lesson.  Incidentally, even now,  I could probably still recite all 35 lines!!
    P
  • edited April 2015
    Bravo, bravo. Absolutely wonderful read.
    Thanks for this Pad 
    I want chapter 3 asap, i do not want to wait another month.

Regards Alan (plo8 champ, fancy a game Pad)
  • edited April 2015
    LIFE… 
    One of my teachers.. a Christian Brother had become a really good friend & confidante & I confided in him my desire to run away.  At great personal risk, he and my mother, yes my mother, organised & arranged for myself and my girlfriend to “disappear“.....
    My mother helped after an unfortunate incident when she realised my life was in real danger.   I still have the scars..  
    How does a mother say goodbye to a son to save him?  I’m guessing those scars run much deeper.

I never see my mother, father, 6 x uncles, or 5 of my brothers again….
    &  I never hear a Corncrake call again.........

• edited April 2015
    Holycraparama this is edge of the seat stuff.
    How old were you when this took place?
    I'll wait in anticipation for your reply.

Regards Alan (plo8 champ forget the game keep writing)
  • edited April 2015
    Great read ... With the question how do you say good bye to a loved one. Obviously every situation is different.. but if you truely think its the only way, and the people/kids  are safe then that is all that matters. I know a good mate(female,leaving her husband) had to make such a decision for her own safety and wonders every day whether she made the right choice but she knows for her kids sake it was the right decision.
  • edited April 2015
    Hey Glen, great sharing a table with you tonight.

Without a doubt this is one of the best threads I've seen on sky.

Looking forward to more!

• edited April 2015

wp tonight pad.