You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Devilfish

2»

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Sad news

Thoughts are with his family and friends. 
  • edited April 2015
    Like many of us my first exposure to the game was Late Night Poker. While most of the players involved have long since faded from my memory I have never forgotten The Devilfish, one of the finest players and the greatest characters the game has ever known.

My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

RIP, Dave
  • edited April 2015
    So sad. 

Devilfish certainly dragged himself out of the gutter using his undoubted skills and personality and was one of the true characters of poker.

RIP Devilfish.
  • edited April 2015

Richard Prew, who many of you know as SPT Rich, or just "Tighty", wrote a lovely obituary of Dave Ulliott. 

I reproduce it below.

• edited April 2015

David "Devilfish" Ulliott who has died aged 61 from colon cancer lived life to the full.

He grew up in a small council house in a working class area of Hull where he had early introductions to gambling, a fledgling boxing career, was the wrong side of the tracks via crime as a Safecracker, two spells in jail, homelessness, setting up as a Pawnbroker and then, ultimately, discovering Poker.

In the poker world Devilfish started off in small games in hull, ventured out into cash games in Leeds and then onto the UK circuit. From there, having amassed a £100,000 bankroll (in 1997 money) reputedly over a two week period at the Vic, he went to Vegas and the World Series and experienced the extreme highs and lows of a relatively old school gambler meeting a Poker world moving out of the back rooms into respectability.

In 1997 Devilfish won the Four Queens Omaha Classic on his second trip across, and cleared a six figure profit on his trip. A year later, he entered a WSOP event $260,000 in the hole including $60,000 to a bondsman he happened to have befriended on the trip. Pressure on, he won the last event he can enter with case borrowed money, got out of it and won a bracelet.

From the first trips to Vegas, Devilfish came into many of our lives via the seminal "Late Night Poker" series which took poker in the UK into the mainstream. In 1999, Ulliott was one of 40 players to appear in the first series of the Late Night Poker television series, the first poker show to use hole cam technology. Ulliott dominated the first final from the first hand and won the £40,000 first prize.

Ulliott's win was watched by over 1.5m people (a huge figure for the channel) and his character at the table was part of the reason for the renewal of the series, which went on to run for five more series, with Ulliott appearing in them all. Ulliott also made the final table in the second series. Dave was one of the main reasons a generation of players took up poker.

In January 2003, Ulliott won the World Poker Tour first season's Jack Binion World Poker Open. Ulliott outlasted a field of 160 players, beat Phil Ivey heads up and won $589,175. Mike Sexton has referred to his win as "still the most dominating performance in WPT history."

In the UK, Ulliott became such a household name that he was name-dropped in EastEnders, and in the inaugural edition of PokerPlayer magazine, Ulliott was not only on the front cover, but also voted No. 9 on their (worldwide) Top 10 Poker Legends List.

After his successes a decade or more ago there followed in poker terms some years in the wilderness and he no longer frequented UK tournaments but in the last three years he was back with a deep run in the EPT London main event and an EPT High-Roller final table too amongst a series of strong performances. He was at DTD regularly too and I would regularly watch and listen as recreational players spoke of their awe at being on the same table as Dave.
    Aside from being back on the felt, his personality was as huge as ever with the wise-cracks at the table and the guitar at the tournament parties.

It was perhaps easy to forget when in the midst of his persona what a terrific poker player he was, and what a huge role he had to play in the growth of not just UK but global poker.

He was, simply, one of a kind.

He leaves his wife, Anpaktita who he married in November 2011 and eight children.
  • edited April 2015
    Great write up.

RIP Dave
  • edited April 2015
    Really sad news.

But what a life.  Certainly made more of his time on earth than most!

RIP Devilfish
  • edited April 2015
    Great tribute life story article by Richard Prew. I like many 1st started a keener interest in poker from watching late night poker all those years ago. Great character and he lived life to the full, Rest peacefully Devilfish.
  • edited April 2015
    +1 great tribute. Had the pleasure of playing on the same table as him at the UKPC in Februrary. Almost had he chance to bust him too - after out-drawing him OTT only for the great man to river me! RIP
  • edited April 2015
    Can't believe it, one of my favourite brit players, always box-office.

Condolences to his family R.I.P.
  • edited April 2015
    a great read that tikay ty for sharing
  • edited April 2015
    i hope sky sports do a hour long triubute to him such a legend of poker
  • edited April 2015
    His legend will surely live forever RIP great man.
  • edited April 2015
    There have only ever been 2 poker players that I have interviewed who I felt nervous talking to the first time I met them: Doyle Brunson and Devilfish. Doyle couldn't have been nicer, it's just I wanted to ask him so much in such a small space of time. Devilfish, had just given a talk to a room of online poker peeps in a hotel in Cyrpus, with of course the aid of his trusty guitar. He also had a small blonde in tow, maybe younger than me! I was nervous about his banter, and holding my own. I should have been nervous, as a women, he attempted his usual Devilfish 'charm'. Failed of course!
    I met him many times over the years, and learned to give as good as I got! The last memory I have of him is sat at Trickett's table at DTD playing cash with young and old.  Ironically he was singing 'knocking on heaven's door' and the whole table sang the chorus', harmonies and all,  including Trickett!
    There are so many names in poker, but only few who have a name so synonymous with the game that they become legends.
    I am sure he is up there, guitar in hand  at his own cash table.  RIP Mr Devilfish 

• edited April 2015
    Sad news indeed.The first face of poker I remember from late night poker on  tv.Dry wit but never without warm humour either.
    Paul
  • edited April 2015
    r i p devilfish . was weird as i was watching you on youtube v tony g then the sad news had filtered through. gone but never forgotten 
  • edited April 2015
    Hey Guys,

Neil Channing has penned a short piece about Dave's glory days and what made him such a legend in the poker scene. Read it here.
  • edited April 2015
  • edited April 2015
    What a crazy life
    good reads tighty and Neil
    he was larger than life in life
    and that memory will live on
    R.I.P.
  • edited April 2015

Dave was laid to rest yesterday.

RIP, Dave.

One minute's silence was observed for Dave during the UKIPT Event at DTD.

• edited April 2015
    Nice piece Mr Ambo :-(
  • edited April 2015
    I only met the guy once, when along with POKEY2011 (Chris) we had an impromptu karaoke session beside the bar - Devilfish with his acoustic guitar, and Chris and I shaking our heads at how surreal the whole experience was.

A good man, and a great poker player.

Rest well, sir.
  • edited April 2015

If anyone wants to listen to Radio 4 right now there is a programme on called "Last Word". It's an obituary show, 30 minutes they celebrate the life of a few people each week.

Devilfish will be on in a few minutes...myself and Vicky Coren talk about him. It is repeated on Sunday at 8.30pm and you can get it on iPlayer if you miss it.
  • edited April 2015

This programme is repeated tonight. I was finding it pretty funny to hear them talking about Dave on Radio 4. I think they did a good job.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Devilfish:
     This programme is repeated tonight. I was finding it pretty funny to hear them talking about Dave on Radio 4. I think they did a good job.
    Posted by NChanning
    Thanks for the reminder Mr Ambo
    I shall have a listen while I'm crushing the,
     7.30pm FOSP Plo8 tourney
    Do feel free to join me if you dare.

Regards Alan (plo8 champ)
  • edited April 2015
    The Radio 4 show is also available to download HERE (right click, save as). From memory I think you need to listen from about 20 minutes in.
  • edited April 2015
    Was lucky enough to meet him in 2008 in Vegas. Some character! R.I.P.