You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Best Poker memory

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
A few like this before but it's been a while

Not necessarily thinking of just wins, although it can be.
Maybe slowrolling a friend in a home game
Trip to Vegas (I know Tomgoodun has a great WSOP story)
A nice win when a win was needed
Winning a promotion

My best poker memory is probably from last year and going over to play the IPO
Hotel the tournament was played in definitely needed a refurb, it mattered not
The tables were grubby and rocky, it mattered not 
I didn't come close to cashing in the tournament, it didn't matter. I won a little at cash. A good friend CPFC_2010 had a really deep run. Day4eire had a terrible beat in a huge chip lead pot, he didn't moan about it once. He did moan a little as a 6th pint of Guiness was placed next to the other 5 on the tabke in front of him. Had a drink with Andy Black and Padraig Parkinson. Andy probably won't remember, Padraig definitely won't ;)
Some great stories were shared on the tables and at the bar. 
Absolutely loved it all

Comments

• edited March 2015
    obv ukpc in august,but i had one last nite thats gonna stick with me.,
    i regged in 4 tournies 6pm bh and the 3 dtds,.i went out of 3 of them with AA i was pretty gutted tbh but final tabled dtd1 so got a pretty good cash,went bed happy
    EDIT:just gone out the 6pm bh with aces,nvm
  • edited April 2015
    Good poker memories come in all shapes and sizes. Some of mine are daft things like a friend's reaction to a hand we played together, or one liners that made everyone at the table laugh until we hurt, or witnessing my wife win a tournament.

I've been fortunate enough to make many good friends through poker including a few from Sky, such as Day4Eire76 and Jac"NTTP"35 one of my best memories has to the day I discovered that Mr Jackson isn't really a grumpy old man in real life .

Overall my best poker memory coincides with my largest live cash (funny that eh?) My wife and I had not long previously self built our own house and cash was tight. I played a £10 sat to a live game with the intention of taking the cash equivalent of the win (£600). Upon winning the sat I was informed that there was no cash option so had to explain to the Mrs that travelling to England to play a live game was a good idea.

To cut a long story short, I ran better than Usain Bolt that weekend and returned home with a cheque for £16,000. I still remember waking up the next morning and realizing that it hadn't all been a dream. Happy days. 
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory:
    Good poker memories come in all shapes and sizes. Some of mine are daft things like a friend's reaction to a hand we played together, or one liners that made everyone at the table laugh until we hurt, or witnessing my wife win a tournament. I've been fortunate enough to make many good friends through poker including a few from Sky, such as Day4Eire76 and Jac"NTTP"35 one of my best memories has to the day I discovered that Mr Jackson isn't really a grumpy old man in real life . Overall my best poker memory coincides with my largest live cash (funny that eh?) My wife and I had not long previously self built our own house and cash was tight. I played a £10 sat to a live game with the intention of taking the cash equivalent of the win (£600). Upon winning the sat I was informed that there was no cash option so had to explain to the Mrs that travelling to England to play a live game was a good idea. To cut a long story short, I ran better than Usain Bolt that weekend and returned home with a cheque for £16,000. I still remember waking up the next morning and realizing that it hadn't all been a dream. Happy days. 
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    How much did old man Jackson beg you to post on here? ;)
  • edited April 2015
    It has to be when Liv Boeree made me Eggs Benedict the next morning.

Though, she should go really easy on the Hollandaise next time.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : How much did old man Jackson beg you to post on here? ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    He did mention something about me not having to buy a round next time we meet up, but that's probably got more to do with the coaching than the posting ;-) Anyway for someone who is so full of chat, enlighten us with your best poker memory.
  • edited April 2015
    Wsop was a fab memory that I will brag about for some time, but the best poker memory so far is when my sister came to visit when I was in recovery from my radiotherapy, she knows I have a dabble on the pokeramo for fun now and again and we had a home game £2 buy in sorta stuff. She hasn't a clue how to play and got it mixed up with 3 card brag and was in a pot with her son who gets a little carried away, he raised pre, the flop was Q67 he bet big, she went allin, cards over, she proudly flips over 10 5 to his AQ, cue him dancing around laughing at her play, turn 5, river 5. , he went ballistic we all laughed our heads off, she justified it by the immortal words. well I had 567 on the flop, I still chuckle at the memory :)
  • edited April 2015
    Good poker memories come in all shapes and sizes. Some of mine are daft things like a friend's reaction to a hand we played together, or one liners that made everyone at the table laugh until we hurt, or witnessing my wife win a tournament. I've been fortunate enough to make many good friends through poker including a few from Sky, such as Day4Eire76 and Jac"NTTP"35 one of my best memories has to the day I discovered that Mr Jackson isn't really a grumpy old man in real life . Overall my best poker memory coincides with my largest live cash (funny that eh?) My wife and I had not long previously self built our own house and cash was tight. I played a £10 sat to a live game with the intention of taking the cash equivalent of the win (£600). Upon winning the sat I was informed that there was no cash option so had to explain to the Mrs that travelling to England to play a live game was a good idea. To cut a long story short, I ran better than Usain Bolt that weekend and returned home with a cheque for £16,000. I still remember waking up the next morning and realizing that it hadn't all been a dream. Happy days. 
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    Worst bluff ever!

My best memory was my now ok friend (cant say any stronger words than that) Beaneh trying to get me to fold top set in a VLV sat giving me an early double up. I went on and won the Vegas seat and made a load of poker friends that have helped make me the luckbox I am today!
  • edited April 2015
    I get battered everywhere
  • edited April 2015
    I get battered everywhere ☺
    Posted by Jac35

My bestest ever memory in poker, or in fact life was meeting Paul (no not the poker player) Jackson in a small Northern town near Scotland once.......
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : My bestest ever memory in poker, or in fact life was meeting Paul (no not the poker player) Jackson in a small Northern town near Scotland once.......
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Too kind Jimi.
    Although I can appreciate what a marvellous experience it must have been for you.

I feel a bit bad now as sadly it wasn't quite the same for me. I misheard and thought we were meeting up with Henrik. I was overjoyed at the prospect of seeing Larson7 again.

Then you showed up 
  • edited April 2015
    my best poker story has to be the gukpt 2010 at Luton ,satalited in for £30 ,get down to the last 18 and get moved to neil channings table , first hand there i get involved with Neil in the big blind and manage to bet him of the pot ! Two hours later i get knocked out 12th at the same time someone goes out on the other table ! so that was the end of the day as the final table was the next day , so i thought photo oppurtunity !! so i asked Neil politly and while he had hes arm around my shoulder smiling at the camera  he asked me what i had in the hand that we had played 2 hours before! so like a true poker gent i lied to him!! i collected £3400 and neil went on to win for £64,000 
  • edited April 2015
    My best ever poker memory was provided right here on the sky poker forum.  I'll have to see if I can find the thread, but I think it was ladyfingrs posted a picture of his desk he'd broken after losing a HU game where he lost something like 8 all-ins in a row after getting his opponent down to about 4 chips.  I still chuckle to this day when I think about it, it just summed up the frustrations of poker beautifully.

Edit:

2009, vintage year!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : Too kind Jimi. Although I can appreciate what a marvellous experience it must have been for you. I feel a bit bad now as sadly it wasn't quite the same for me. I misheard and thought we were meeting up with Henrik. I was overjoyed at the prospect of seeing Larson7 again. Then you showed up 
    Posted by Jac35

''excuse me sir there are recepticles provided for cigarette butts, unfortunately you seem to have ignored them, please give me £75 of your hrd earned pictures of the queen......''

is that a fair approximation of the conversation?  ;-)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : ''excuse me sir there are recepticles provided for cigarette butts, unfortunately you seem to have ignored them, please give me £75 of your hrd earned pictures of the queen......'' is that a fair approximation of the conversation?  ;-)
    Posted by HENDRIK62
    Yes :(
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : Too kind Jimi. Although I can appreciate what a marvellous experience it must have been for you. I feel a bit bad now as sadly it wasn't quite the same for me. I misheard and thought we were meeting up with Henrik. I was overjoyed at the prospect of seeing Larson7 again. Then you showed up 
    Posted by Jac35
    Interesting. At you're age, you're seldom overjoyed about much.
  • edited April 2015
    Not best but most recent
    playing live ran top 2 into a set and caught button stealing. End up with only 2 bigs left and i shove my Q9o. Big blind apologises that he has to call and shows KK. Two Queens on the flop and i survive a little while longer.
    Long story short i end up chopping the tournament. 
    It's a beautiful game. 
  • edited April 2015
    My best rungood to date this year - is being with with jac35, and also throwing my cig end (in Toon) and not getting the tap on the shoulder he did.... or fine :)

My best run - was when I rugby tackled him under the table.

Runbad - had to share with hhfy.

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : Worst bluff ever! My best memory was my now ok friend (cant say any stronger words than that) Beaneh trying to get me to fold top set in a VLV sat giving me an early double up. I went on and won the Vegas seat and made a load of poker friends that have helped make me the luckbox I am today!
    Posted by MattBates
    Wow you picked my bluff off like the pro you are. Wp sir Wp.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : How much did old man Jackson beg you to post on here? ;)
    Posted by hhyftrftdr

Well? We're all still waiting to hear your poker highlight. Surely you must have come a close second in a HU sng or something similar?

Maybe you'd like to share a football highlight instead? Did you make the trip down to London to see your beloved City last night?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : Well? We're all still waiting to hear your poker highlight. Surely you must have come a close second in a HU sng or something similar? Maybe you'd like to share a football highlight instead? Did you make the trip down to London to see your beloved City last night?
    Posted by cpfc_2010
    I certainly did not, I actively try to avoid southerners! The only time I see City in London is when we are at Wembley, which thankfully is a pretty frequent occurrence these days ;)

My football highlight will always be a flip between Aguero and Dickov. Very contrasting circumstances, very fond memories.

You deserved it last night, huge game on Sunday for us now, but the swamp has been a happy hunting ground in recent seasons.

Poker memory? Meh. Won a home game in the flat for about a tenner once, that will have to suffice.
  • edited April 2015
    me winning a heads up match when the other guy was away gotta be up there for me
  • edited April 2015
    Bump

Think we could do with a nice story right now ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Winning Monday night DTD's many moons ago.
  • edited April 2015
    My favourite poker memory:-

Geldy announcing on the forum that he'd maybe had one glass too many before he pressed the confirm button to enter the last Viva Las Vegas final direct.

I'm guessing half the community were railing him that evening!
    He came so so close to making it.

Thankfully he cashed. (One away from the big prize but made his entry + pocket money back).

Here's to you going one place better this year Geldy!
  • edited April 2015
    I think that having a drink and then playing poker is very silly. Something that I'd never do ;)
     I remember that and I think you're right. We were all willing him on

• edited April 2015
    Bump Think we could do with a nice story right now ;)
    Posted by Jac35
    +1!!!!!!!

My favourite poker memories were playing every sunday night with my brother and a neighbour. Started straight after dinner and went on to the early hours. The drink always flowed quite freely and by the end of the night my bro would be up to his eye balls in tilt and all three of us had lost most of our basic bodily functions lol good times!

Not very exciting but hey i tried :D

• edited April 2015
    My favourite poker memory:- Geldy announcing on the forum that he'd maybe had one glass too many before he pressed the confirm button to enter the last Viva Las Vegas final direct. I'm guessing half the community were railing him that evening! He came so so close to making it. Thankfully he cashed. (One away from the big prize but made his entry + pocket money back). Here's to you going one place better this year Geldy!
    Posted by DUNMIDOSH
    cheers, those were the days :-)
    i can categorically confirm that i will not be buying in direct to the VLV final this year, regardless of the number of glasses :-(

i can't claim it was my best poker memory, as i didn't win it, but it was by far my best community experience. the outpouring of support was totally unexpected and overwhelming. i still get table chat from newbies asking if i'm the guy that bought-in direct.... it was over 1000 days ago ffs!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : cheers, those were the days :-) i can categorically confirm that i will not be buying in direct to the VLV final this year, regardless of the number of glasses :-( i can't claim it was my best poker memory, as i didn't win it, but it was by far my best community experience . the outpouring of support was totally unexpected and overwhelming. i still get table chat from newbies asking if i'm the guy that bought-in direct.... it was over 1000 days ago ffs!
    Posted by GELDY

would I have made yr plus 1 list G? ;)

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : would I have made yr plus 1 list G? ;)
    Posted by samantha25
    defo - that would've been memorable!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Best Poker memory : defo - that would've been memorable!
    Posted by GELDY
    A live spam rail... what more could you ask for? 

Maybe a non spam rail? ;)