You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

on holiday? how do you play?

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
with the recent changes in legislation / changes in poker providers policies how does anyone play abroad?

I enjoyed playing abit on various holidays on the internet with sky, now in Europe (or Italy for sure) the internet site is blocked. you can log in via the browser, but games will be cut off (or not started). why?

you used to be able to play in the USA on the internet/download but I presume that is now blocked (and it insn't against the law if your cash in on and stays on the site).

same with stars, despite having access to the ROTW player pool, you can only play within your country of registration or have I got that wrong.

is it just the bureaucrats at work thinking that despite the fact the vast majority of poker players are recs, have a job and pay tax (like me), they should stop us playing whilst abroad for fun

Comments

• edited April 2015
    You're on holiday, kick back and relax and forget about Sky Poker for a few days.
  • edited April 2015
    So long as you can log into browser you can while away the hours t-r-olling on the forums like harry.....

Seriously though why can't you play from abroad? What legalities are being breeched by somebody firing up the lappy early evening for an hour and playing a few hands while the Missus does her hair? (I can only read so much).

Bloody bureaucracy!!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: on holiday? how do you play?:
    So long as you can log into browser you can while away the hours t-r-olling on the forums like harry..... Seriously though why can't you play from abroad? What legalities are being breeched by somebody firing up the lappy early evening for an hour and playing a few hands while the Missus does her hair? (I can only read so much). Bloody bureaucracy!!
    Posted by SJspanky1
    I'm in Corfu at the end of the month....if I can't get my troll fix (a forum reg called me a troll mug by PM the other day, then the following day on the forum he called me a gent, whats all that about?!) for a few days I'll go insane! ;)

I'm sure others have played from abroad before....perhaps this new ownership is nipping it in the bud? Legal minefield?
  • edited April 2015
    You're on holiday, kick back and relax and forget about Sky Poker for a few days.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Seems like the best answer. 'Poker is a never ending game' so will be plenty of time to play post-holiday.

Make the most of the break, go see some sights, take in some culture, try some new foods. Then come back relaxed, refreshed and ready to crush!
  • edited April 2015
    btw I'm not on holiday, just something that bugged me last time I was. stuck in a hotel room in the eves was shocked to find I could no longer play.

reason is something to do with poker sites being registered in their country of origin, why FT/stars has made everyone download the new UK site platform, but as too actually why, I hoped some of you might know.

any answer sky?
  • edited April 2015
    EU rules don’t allow companies to set different prices for services based on the nationality or location of the customer. The result will likely be special UK sites, such as pokerstars.co.uk, specifically serving UK customers.

Source

http://pokerfuse.com/features/in-depth/what-the-new-uk-legislation-will-mean-for-online-poker-players-07-12/
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: on holiday? how do you play? : I'm in Corfu at the end of the month....if I can't get my troll fix (a forum reg called me a troll mug by PM the other day, then the following day on the forum he called me a gent, whats all that about?!) for a few days I'll go insane! ;) I'm sure others have played from abroad before....perhaps this new ownership is nipping it in the bud? Legal minefield?
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Nah, nothing to do with new ownership, it was the same before they came along.
  • edited April 2015
    btw I'm not on holiday, just something that bugged me last time I was. stuck in a hotel room in the eves was shocked to find I could no longer play. reason is something to do with poker sites being registered in their country of origin, why FT/stars has made everyone download the new UK site platform, but as too actually why, I hoped some of you might know. any answer sky?
    Posted by suzy666
    Online Poker regulation, country specific, has swept Europe in recent years.

To breach the rules (laws, actually)  would imperil the Gaming Commission Licence.

Nothing can be done about it, it's all part of how Online Poker is now being Regulated.

Some of these things are a nuisance, it's true, but overall, Regulation is a good thing, & Online Poker needed it. Even in the UK, there are sites which have run away with players money.  

• edited April 2015
    On the plus side, it may give the rest of us PLO8 players a chance to win the Thursday league when you go on your hols ;)

I was in USA for the whole of January last year, and decided to take some cash out of my account. Not only did I not get the cash, but my account was suspended.  I got in touch with customer support, gave them all of my details, but they would not re-activate my account until I got back to the UK. 

So withdraw your hard earned before you go.
  • edited April 2015
    On the plus side, it may give the rest of us PLO8 players a chance to win the Thursday league when you go on your hols ;) I was in USA for the whole of January last year, and decided to take some cash out of my account. Not only did I not get the cash, but my account was suspended.  I got in touch with customer support, gave them all of my details, but they would not re-activate my account until I got back to the UK.  So withdraw your hard earned before you go.
    Posted by 67Bhoys
    Ouch.

You don't need to withdraw before you go, but just don't try withdrawing or depositing whilst abroad.

My advice would be do not try to use Sky Poker unless in the UK, ROI, or Finland. (Not sure If Gibralter is still ok).

• edited April 2015
    uh, as far as I was aware it has always been a breach of rules to play abroad (regardless of it actually being possible or not) - so you've just admitted that you've broken the rules before by playing abroad? :-s
  • edited April 2015
    What countries can you play on sky please?
  • edited April 2015
    Is Cornwall ok as its a bit strange down there :-)
  • edited April 2015
    What countries can you play on sky please?
    Posted by Donttelmum

We accept customers based in any of the following countries:

- United Kingdom

- Channel Islands

- Ireland

- Finland

- Gibraltar

• edited April 2015
    Is Cornwall ok as its a bit strange down there :-)
    Posted by VespaPX

Cornwall's OK, it's the rest of the world that's a bit strange. We've even got electricity down here now.

• edited April 2015
    Come on now, you can't just leave that hanging in the air.

Why Finland? I mean, I love Finland: Great country, proud history of racing drivers and Sami Hyypia... but why Finland and only Finland?
  • edited April 2015
    Come on now, you can't just leave that hanging in the air. Why Finland? I mean, I love Finland: Great country, proud history of racing drivers and Sami Hyypia... but why Finland and only Finland?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Can't answer your question BL but fun Finland fact.  The UK and Finland are the only two democracies to have been at war with each other (official war rather than 'Police Actions' etc).
  • edited April 2015
    Come on now, you can't just leave that hanging in the air. Why Finland? I mean, I love Finland: Great country, proud history of racing drivers and Sami Hyypia... but why Finland and only Finland?
    Posted by BorinLoner
    Can't answer that, sorry, the matter is closed, & we have finnished with it.
  • edited April 2015
    cos finland like gibralter is a 'special' territories and doesn't fall under EU regs
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: on holiday? how do you play? : We accept customers based in any of the following countries: - United Kingdom - Channel Islands - Ireland - Finland - Gibraltar
    Posted by Sky_Poker

ok, but there is a difference between (or there was) being in europe in 2012 and playing on sky and now being blocked, probably by the country of origin authorities.

as an aside, for some of you pro's out there, with no holiday pay so to speak, and you cant play on holiday, whats the plan, remote pc login,

just get the neighbour to turn your pc on when she's round watering the plants=prob solved