You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Ambo off to Ireland - Irish Open sweat thread

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat

Neil Channing is off to Ireland later today, to play the Irish Opoen, so a quick "good luck" message.

If anyone sees any Updates or News about his progress, post on here, please.

Same applies to any other Sky Poker regulars who are off to play the Irish Open.

I think I heard Joesman1 (Neil Strike) was going?

Also Ian Simpson is bound to be playing, too.

Any others?

Comments

• edited April 2015

Neil told me he is definitely going. I'm sure Ian will be there too (I wonder who he'll propose to if he wins this one).

Just rushing to the airport.
  • edited April 2015
    Not quite a regular, but I'm going to play in the Mini main event, flying out Saturday evening.  Can't wait, sure it'll be a good craic! 

I'll post a picture of my trophy etc after the weekend ;)

Best of luck anyone else who's attending.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Ambo off to Ireland - Irish Open sweat thread:
    Not quite a regular, but I'm going to play in the Mini main event, flying out Saturday evening.  Can't wait, sure it'll be a good craic!  I'll post a picture of my trophy etc after the weekend ;) Best of luck anyone else who's attending.
    Posted by repton3

Good stuff.

We don't know your real name, & I am not allowed to ask that, but if you want to let us know, we can follow you too.

Good luck, get the lot.
  • edited April 2015

So far we have.....

Mr Ambo aka "NChanning"

Neil Strike aka "joesman1"

Ian Simpson aka "IanSimpson"

Aaron Carroll aka "repton"

Pat aka "Day4Eire76"

Good luck also to a mutual friend of Neil & myself, Keith Hawkins, aka "Camel". I have a teeny weeny bit of his action, so let him win, please.  
  • edited April 2015
    Real name is Aaron Carroll if you want to follow my probably very rapid progress from Mini Event -> bar -> questionable establishments of Dublin :)
  • edited April 2015
    Real name is Aaron Carroll if you want to follow my probably very rapid progress from Mini Event - /> bar -> questionable establishments of Dublin :)
    Posted by repton3
    Added to list, Aaron.
  • edited April 2015
    Best of luck all.

More than likely will play the mini at least as hotel is 10 minutes from my apartment.

Pat
  • edited April 2015
    The best of luck to all Sky regs taking part.
  • edited April 2015
    Busted in the last level of the day by non other than Mr Simpson having shared a table with him all day. My Q/10 on a QJ866 board with Ian holding 6/7. He'll be near chip leader with + 150,000
  • edited April 2015
    Busted in the last level of the day by non other than Mr Simpson having shared a table with him all day. My Q/10 on a QJ866 board with Ian holding 6/7. He'll be near chip leader with + 150,000
    Posted by joesman1
    unlucky Neil :(
  • edited April 2015

I gather Ian Simpson is overnight chip leader, heading into Day 2.

No idea how Mr Ambo got on, but here he is in action, with "The Camel" just visible on the table behind him. 

• edited April 2015
    I gather Ian Simpson is overnight chip leader, heading into Day 2. No idea how Mr Ambo got on, but here he is in action, with "The Camel" just visible on the table behind him. 
    Posted by Tikay10

Is he playing mr rainmans 2.20 @ 2.20 on his phone? looks like he has a tough river decision.....
  • edited April 2015

I just perused the chip counts, & it looks like C& D winner Mr Ambo will not, on this occasion, be troubling the judges.
  • edited April 2015
    I think Neil is in the final 3 from his twitter feed
  • edited April 2015
    I think Neil is in the final 3 from his twitter feed
    Posted by Lightwood
    I think that is a Sidey - The Liam Flood Memorial. That'll do nicely, pay for the trip with a bit to spare.

Keith Hawkins, a mutual friend of Ambo & I (he has been a mate of Ambo's since they were kids) managed 23rd or similar in the Main, for just under €8,000.

• edited April 2015

Such a hectic weekend. It was hard to be playing, commentating, interviews, having a couple of dinners with people I never see and keeping up with all on social media and on here.

I played the main but was out within hours. There was a Greek guy on my table who I clashed with in three pots early on that were bigger than I'd have liked. He was pretty cocky and I realised after the third one that he probably bluffed me on at least one of the other two. My bust out I played well and if he didn't have the 10s3d I'd have probably won it.

The IO means more to me than most people. It was something that changed my life. I was pretty raw after and I went to my room and sulked. It was a nice distraction to play the UKOPS and to not have to spend an evening being asked if I was still in.

I left it until 5pm on Saturday to join the 2pm 1000E freeze-out. They called that one the Liam Flood Memorial Tournament and that made me determined to win it. Liam was a good friend. We spent some great times together. I helped him out many years ago and he was always kind to me after.

I had a decent start in the event, got lucky to bust UKPC champ Fraser with A8 vs A10 and then cruised along to the last two tables. A guy has 20bbs and shoved UTG, I looked at AA and wondered if there was any way I could attract a 3rd victim. I gave it a best supporting actor job and finally shoved. The bb announced he was calling but for my terrible acting job and he passed queens. I think it's a terrible fold. I would have had three times the average if he called and I won. The 1st card over was a queen.

In the final I had 1m of the 1.4m with three left. It was 29,500 18,500 and 12,750 for 123. They were talking about a deal between them and giving me the 1st.

I guess when you come 3rd from that spot it isn't perfect. I really wanted the trophy that is a mini-version of my nice Irish Open trophy and which bears Liam's name.

When I got back to the room I noticed I'd left a couple of chips and I ought to change them so I went down to the desk. It's hard to walk past the bar at any Irish poker event and I saw Donnacha having a quick drink. He was ten hours away from starting the final table as chip-leader. I needed to wish him luck. My old mate Surinder Sunar popped up. I hadn't seen him all weekend. We joked a bit about a few old things and the subject turned to the Fish. We were all adversaries who competed hard with him at all times. SS and the Fish were massive rivals who liked nothing better than to bust each other. Any respect was only given grudgingly but it was there.

We toasted Dave and wished him good health.

It was a funny weekend.