You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Structure in 8pm Main Bhs

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
I saw a post saying they were changing the starting stack and structure in the 8pm BH main events.
Is this still the case?
It's ok lobby says 2k stack for tonight's main

Comments

• edited April 2015
    In Response to Structure in 8pm Main Bhs:
    I saw a post saying they were changing the starting stack and structure in the 8pm BH main events. Is this still the case? It's ok lobby says 2k stack for tonight's main
    Posted by macapaca
    Hi macapaca,

This has been corrected and all the players who are currently registered have had their chipstacks updated to 5,000 chips.

Cheers.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Structure in 8pm Main Bhs:
    In Response to Structure in 8pm Main Bhs : Hi macapaca, This has been corrected and all the players who are currently registered have had their chipstacks updated to 5,000 chips. Cheers.
    Posted by SkyPeter
    Ty for swift reply!
  • edited April 2015
    +1 to this great to see might get a bit more play on a thurs night now....
  • edited April 2015
    Are numbers down since the 5k starting stack started?
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by LARSON7
    Last week smashed it, this week not as strong but up vs the 2k stack of few weeks ago, check garyQQQ results thread for the numbers
  • edited April 2015
    Pretty sure numbers will be down long term:P

They have mucked about with an already v decent structure.

Bring back the 2k!
  • edited April 2015
    5k stacks ftw - great structure imo
  • edited April 2015
    5k stacks ftw - great structure imo
    Posted by macapaca
    Not sure that evidence would be deemed admissable, given that you won it.......;)

Congratulations.
  • edited April 2015
    +1 to this great to see might get a bit more play on a thurs night now....
    Posted by neil1970
    Congrats on finishing 5th in last nights £55 BH

;)
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by LARSON7
    Morning Ledge,

Firstly, see the reply by Nuggy Nug Nug Nug.

FWIW (nothing, really) last week, the first time it ran with the new structure, it got 429, & last night it got 376.

It's not a relevant question though - there is no way on God's earth that such a small sample size would be taken to mean anything, whether the numbers were up, down, or indifferent - a far larger sample size is needed.

So many factors need to be taken into account. 

Time of year (seasonality)

Time of month (this is a key stat, relative to when most people get paid)

Whether the event was "pushed" (SMS, e-Mails etc) by Sky Poker.

What competing attractions existed - a big football match, Golf Major, X Factor, lighter nights, good (or bad) weather, or any number of other things.

Was Poker being especially pushed in any given week? This week, a lot of the Business focus is on Vegas Million, & what will be, by a very long way, Sky Bet's busiest week EVER, due to The Masters, Grand National, Man U v Man C, F1 Grand Prix, & so on. So most of the "pushes" will be around those. Next week, it might be poker that gets boosted & promoted extra hard.

All these factors, & many more, need to be considered.  

Additionally, what numbers need comparing to establish whether it has had a positive or negative effect?

W-o-W? (week on week)

M-o-M?

Y-o-Y?

Uniques? (how many different players are on site that night, week or month)

All of them? Some of them?

So it is way too early to draw any firm conclusions, unless, of course, the key paramaters doubled, or halved, or something equally drastic. 

Remember, the site has the same objectives as the players - both want the site to do better. The business because it makes more money, the players because it gives them bigger prize pools & liquidity generally. So both parties want it to be right, not just the players.

It was made clear when the changes were introduced that they were NOT set in stone. If they prove unsuccessful, they will revert to either the original stacks, or, more likely, somewhere in between. I assure you this remains the case - it will remain under review for a while yet.

You will see a lot more changes, too. (One will be made known today). There is a fresh determination, & additional staff resource, to make the site better. Along the way, they will make a mistake or two, be in no doubt. On balance, they will make good decisions imo, they have all the data (you & me don't), & because they want to make a better site. For the Business, & for players - it amounts to the same thing.

As this thread shows (but irrelevant due to sample size) SOME players like the changes, some dislike them. That will always be the case of course.

If it does not have a positive effect OVERALL, it will be changed - I abso promise. Why would they not? 

• edited April 2015
    Morning Mr Tikay.

Just a few things about the new structure - for games during the week.

The Thurs BH always finished about 12 or thereafter. Which for someone working was ideal.

Frid /Sat BH's had a nice structure late on with the blind levels so games would finish at 2ish.

With the new system, presumably the games will last longer.

Importantly also, Bounty Hunters are for the action junkies. The action is thick and fast.

With the new structure (early levels) this is completely lost starting with 166 bb.

I played for the 1st time last night since the new structure was introduced. By 9pm on my table not one player had been knocked out, and no player had more than 6k or less than 4k chips. It was very slow and felt like playing a 9 max game.

The whoe beauty of BH's is the dynamic it brings to the game, people chasing bounties / constant action, which I feel is missing from the new structure for the first hour.

• edited April 2015
    Morning Mr Tikay. Just a few things about the new structure - for games during the week. The Thurs BH always finished about 12 or thereafter. Which for someone working was ideal. Frid /Sat BH's had a nice structure late on with the blind levels so games would finish at 2ish. With the new system, presumably the games will last longer. Importantly also, Bounty Hunters are for the action junkies. The action is thick and fast. With the new structure (early levels) this is completely lost starting with 166 bb. I played for the 1st time last night since the new structure was introduced. By 9pm on my table not one player had been knocked out, and no player had more than 6k or less than 4k chips. It was very slow and felt like playing a 9 max game. The whoe beauty of BH's is the dynamic it brings to the game, people chasing bounties / constant action, which I feel is missing from the new structure for the first hour.
    Posted by LARSON7
    Thank you Mr Ledge, & yes, I'm aware of most of that, & so are The Business.

Many players LIKE those changes in dynamic, & I expect many don't.

There is no "one size fits all" here, & never will be.

The changes, as I stated, are not set in stone, but nothing so far has indicated any overall negatives, on balance. If need be, they will revert, probably to somewhere in between the new & the old.

It's highly unlilkely - imo - they will revert to the old 2,000 chip structure though. I, & many others, have lobbied for some time to have that increased, because we believe, on balance, for that to be better for the majority of players.

It might be like the wife's new hair-do. We rarely like it at first, but after a while, we start to like it, & soon we can't remember what it was like before. It's the same wife though, & we still love her.*

* T & C's apply.   
  • edited April 2015
    +1 to 5k starting stack aswell
  • edited April 2015
    Structure obviously suited your game macapaca, well done, great result :)
  • edited April 2015
    Doubt that I will still be playing at 2am very often.

Doesn't seem to matter how many chips I start with, I am usually in bed by 10.30.
  • edited April 2015
    Doubt that I will still be playing at 2am very often. Doesn't seem to matter how many chips I start with, I am usually in bed by 10.30.
    Posted by Ice_Tiger
    ;)

Fact is, if we Final one of these occassionally - & no matter how good we are, it will only be occassionally - we don't mind a late night if we awake next morning with a goodly few bob extra in our Account.

Over 80% of us won't cash on any given night, though, & many of us will only cash big once in a blue moon.

• edited April 2015
    it would be nice to have one of the weekly BHs a turbo though, so those of us that have to be responsible with our bedtimes can actually play. that was always one of the attractions with the Thursday BH.

and instead of playing the mains i moved to the 10:30 speed as that would normally finish around midnight. but with the new structure i haven't been able to risk that either.

just played the hilo mtts last night - so it's not all bad
  • edited April 2015

I personally am all in favour of the bigger starting stacks. the 2,000 chip starting stack just made everyone way too shallow way too fast for my liking. I can definitely say that now there will be an 8pm main available with a good starting stack and structure pretty much every night I will playing here more and less on other sites. Sky is my favourite place to play but would often have to play on 888 or elsewhere because there were no well structured tourneys available on Sky other than the Wednesday Rebuy and Sunday Roller - so I'm very pleased to see that's been rectified and support the change.

• edited April 2015
    You can start with a million chips if you want the starting stack is irrelavant.  Since the change came in the structures at the end of the tournaments have been changed.  Look at the final tables since this change everyone is very shallow. People are looking at the extra chips thinking theres more play when infact there is now less play at the later stages.  Its the later stages you want to have more play not the start.  I dont mind 1 way or the other how many chips we start with 2000,3000, 4000 or 5000.  It really doesnt matter i think people are getting confused with the idea that there is more play now with the extra chips when there really isnt given that the structure has been changed in the later stages.
  • edited April 2015
    You can start with a million chips if you want the starting stack is irrelavant.  Since the change came in the structures at the end of the tournaments have been changed.  Look at the final tables since this change everyone is very shallow. People are looking at the extra chips thinking theres more play when infact there is now less play at the later stages.  Its the later stages you want to have more play not the start.  I dont mind 1 way or the other how many chips we start with 2000,3000, 4000 or 5000.  It really doesnt matter i think people are getting confused with the idea that there is more play now with the extra chips when there really isnt given that the structure has been changed in the later stages.
    Posted by bearlyther
    I logged on to see the FT of last nights £33BH last night & it was plenty deep enough. The average must have been about 35-40BB & 1 guy had about 150BB. Not sure if this is how the other nights have panned out though.
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by bearlyther
    The stacks are not shallow on final table mate.
    I was 5/6 on final table last night and was short stacked at 32bb chip leader and like 100bb
  • edited April 2015
    What time did it finish? Was it still near midnight or much later?
  • edited April 2015
    I could be wrong about the £33 bounty hunter havnt had the chance to play that since the new changes yet but the £55 bounty hunter now has 5000 chips but less play at the later stages.
  • edited April 2015
    I could be wrong about the £33 bounty hunter havnt had the chance to play that since the new changes yet but the £55 bounty hunter now has 5000 chips but less play at the later stages.
    Posted by bearlyther
    Yeah I think the general consensus was that the 9pm was already a fantastic structure and needed no tinkering. I'm playing it tonight for the first time since the changes, I can't imagine they have improved on what was already a great tournament.