You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short?

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
Hello,

I am a new player here. i really want to play at sjy poker supporting a british company and playing in pounds but the 8 seconds one gets to act each turn is barely enouigh time to type your bet amount out and click your action, put on that any thinking time its just silly. Also i can even find the time bank if there was a 2min time bank to make for the 8seconds to act it might be understandable but so far i cant seem to locate it for some reason. I play on other sites and 20 seconds is definitely more suitable with a time bank. After all we are playing for money no matter how little so a bit of thinking time should be required rather trying to maximising rake by fitting in as many hands as possible. Anyone else think we should petition to sky poker to raise the thinking time to 20-30seconds? I have seen on tv adequate thinking time so it may just be at the micro stakes, which doesnt make any sense, infact bad players need more thinking time. thought anyone?

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Pfft.

If you know what you're doing, eight seconds is plenty.
  • edited April 2015
    I thought it was more than that, nearer 10-12 sec, but I may be wrong. Sky have decided not to have time banks, some people want them some don't. As for whether the time allowed being long enough, I can assure you I only need a fraction of that time to get it wrong.
  • edited April 2015
    I really think we need more time. Others don't though, I mean i don't want stars style 3m hours of timebank just 20 seconds natural and maybe 20 seconds extra timebank replenishing every hour or so. 
  • edited April 2015
    bah, i dont see the issue personally, so long as everyone get the same time to make decisions
  • edited April 2015
    I'd like everyone to have just the one second it takes me to make my decision
    would level the playing field a little
    it's funny though because playing live I'm the one they ask to speed up a bit! 
    Guess that also explains why i do better live than online

• edited April 2015
    8 seconds - story of my life!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short?:
    Posted by samantha25
    Length of time any guy can stand being around you?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short? : Length of time any guy can stand being around you?
    Posted by Slipwater

You're stalking me :)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short? : You're stalking me :)
    Posted by samantha25
    Restraining order pending?
  • edited April 2015
    Deepstack clock using an online stopwatch is 20 seconds. Plenty of time but I still favour a small timebank for those difficult decisions. Where does OP get 8 seconds from?
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by samantha25
    Yeah, and that includes the ciggie afterwards!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short?:
    Hello, I am a new player here. i really want to play at sjy poker supporting a british company and playing in pounds but the 8 seconds one gets to act each turn is barely enouigh time to type your bet amount out and click your action, put on that any thinking time its just silly. Also i can even find the time bank if there was a 2min time bank to make for the 8seconds to act it might be understandable but so far i cant seem to locate it for some reason. I play on other sites and 20 seconds is definitely more suitable with a time bank. After all we are playing for money no matter how little so a bit of thinking time should be required rather trying to maximising rake by fitting in as many hands as possible. Anyone else think we should petition to sky poker to raise the thinking time to 20-30seconds? I have seen on tv adequate thinking time so it may just be at the micro stakes, which doesnt make any sense, infact bad players need more thinking time. thought anyone?
    Posted by Logan_jh
    8 seconds is nowhere hear long enough once to take into account the almost constant lag on here now. And no Sky, it is not my and everybody else's set up!
  • edited April 2015
    No software = no lag

honestly don't know why so many people use the software instead of browser which has next to zero problems.
  • edited April 2015
    Personally I am ok with the current decision time. Think it is longer than 8 seconds.

I play six tables so could play more with longer time but from my experience on other sites, the delay due to time banks (particularly on satellites) makes for a boring game.
  • edited April 2015
    It's 20 seconds actually, has been for years. Less in speed tournaments.

There are good arguments for and against this limit. Extending it and/or introducing time-banks will mainly help multi-table grinders, a minority group who most poker providers are now realising have a negative impact on their business. The only other beneficiaries I can think of are those annoying people who stall close to bubbles in MTTs.

Personally I prefer it as it is. Twenty seconds is always more than enough for me.
  • edited April 2015
    Timebanks and more time in general would just mean even more excruciating periods just before the bubble, where certain very nitty players with very short stacks like to use their decision time to slow everyone else down to attempt to secure a min-cash.

Sometimes they blind out in the process, this makes me very happy... :)

• edited April 2015
    I think they have it spot on.
  • edited April 2015
    8 seconds weeds out the men from the boys!
  • edited April 2015
    Timebanks and more time in general would just mean even more excruciating periods just before the bubble, where certain very nitty players with very short stacks like to use their decision time to slow everyone else down to attempt to secure a min-cash. Sometimes they blind out in the process, this makes me very happy... :)
    Posted by GREGHOGG

This is why I love you greg :)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short?:
    Hello, I am a new player here. i really want to play at sjy poker supporting a british company and playing in pounds but the 8 seconds one gets to act each turn is barely enouigh time to type your bet amount out and click your action, put on that any thinking time its just silly. Also i can even find the time bank if there was a 2min time bank to make for the 8seconds to act it might be understandable but so far i cant seem to locate it for some reason. I play on other sites and 20 seconds is definitely more suitable with a time bank. After all we are playing for money no matter how little so a bit of thinking time should be required rather trying to maximising rake by fitting in as many hands as possible. Anyone else think we should petition to sky poker to raise the thinking time to 20-30seconds? I have seen on tv adequate thinking time so it may just be at the micro stakes, which doesnt make any sense, infact bad players need more thinking time. thought anyone?
    Posted by Logan_jh
    Hi Logan, welcome aboard.

Your thread title is incorrect, & very misleading I'm afraid.

The "time to act" is a lot longer than 8 seconds, I believe it is 15 or 20 seconds, which is in addition to the time before it is "you to act". On balance, that suits more players than it does not, although it's not possible to suit everyone.

Micro stakes are not limited to what you describe as "bad players", some players just prefer to play smaller stakes.

Raising the "time to act" to 30 seconds would be a disaster, & the vast majority of players (most of whom 1 or 2 table) would be very cross. It would also eat up time & make the structures much faster, as the clock keeps ticking while people are dwelling.

I'm also not aware that micro stakes players get less time than anyone else.

Hope you stick around, & I hope, eventually, you'll become comfy with it.
  • edited April 2015

Eight seconds? It must be longer than that. I can eat a cadburys flake from start to end before my timer runs down.

• edited April 2015
    Eight seconds? It must be longer than that. I can eat a cadburys flake from start to end before my timer runs down.
    Posted by Macacgirl1
    You could eat a flake - or anything else - a lot quicker if you chatted less.

PS - Welcome back Karen, great to see you here. How long before the final farewell, & how was the USA trip? xx

• edited April 2015
    Hiya Mr. K!
    States was great obv. San Francisco still my favourite place in the world (Skeggy a close second)
    Was on a beach in St Kitts 2 days ago, now in Barrow and it's pisting it down.
    Move is the 22nd.
    Gonna try and sneak some games in soon. Need to kick son from here to Lancaster and back again first though. He's let an aquarium go to ruin. Need to find a sensible rehoming for the Panda Corys, 18 of 'em! Once that's done I'll have a think about the poker.
    Hope you and all the gang are Ok.
  • edited April 2015
    I think it is fine how it is, although if they wanted to add an extra 20 seconds time bank once an hour then i dont think that would be a bad thing.
  • edited April 2015
    I think it is fine how it is, although if they wanted to add an extra 20 seconds time bank once an hour then i dont think that would be a bad thing.
  • edited April 2015
    I'd like to take a quick 8 seconds to welcome Karen back from her hols, hope you had a fun time.
  • edited April 2015
    if ya multitabling 8 seconds nowhere near enuff id prefer 20 secs tbh
  • edited April 2015
    if ya multitabling 8 seconds nowhere near enuff id prefer 20 secs tbh
    Posted by IDONKCALLU
    It isn't 8 seconds, it is 20 seconds or close to.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short? : It isn't 8 seconds, it is 20 seconds or close to.
    Posted by hhyftrftdr
    Don't mean to be pedantic, but I have just timed the bar in a regular bh and it's 15 seconds (give or take)

Obv you get more time the further you are from utg so if you are in the BB, you get at least 20 seconds while waiting for the other players.

Still plenty of time though, even if 6 tabling. Only issue is the occasional lag/disconnection.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Does anyone think the 8 seconds to act is to short? : Don't mean to be pedantic, but I have just timed the bar in a regular bh and it's 15 seconds (give or take) Obv you get more time the further you are from utg so if you are in the BB, you get at least 20 seconds while waiting for the other players. Still plenty of time though, even if 6 tabling. Only issue is the occasional lag/disconnection.
    Posted by GREGHOGG
    Stop being pedantic ;)

I counted about 18 seconds at a cash table last night. This was after a few beers mind.

I think we both agree its nowhere near 8 seconds.

Now cease being pedantic Hoggers!