You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Out, out, brief candle!

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
It's with a heavy heart that I have decided to kill the Main/Mini Leaderboard.

I'm not a quitter, but as stubborn as I am, even I have realised this is not something I can realistically own at the moment. I had fallen behind and was playing catch-up, and that was never my intention when I started it, nor is it particularly workable for the end result. And, noticeably and somewhat fortuitously, several other threads have sprung to life in recent weeks that - in typical forum fashion - have plugged the gaps.

To be perfectly honest when I produced the leaderboards for 2014 I didn't have a contingency plan for 2015, not that that was an issue in and of itself. I didn't mind keeping it going, but in the face of (amongst other things) a much more limited presence on the forums thus far this year, it has proven to be a greater task than it should be, and although I plan to be here more often from this point on, the maintenance of the thread is not something I would be able to guarantee. Best the knife goes in deep and true than to suffer a thousand paper cuts along the way.

A wise man once told me to work to my strengths - this kind of thing is obviously not what he was talking about! Give me a blank Word document, hold a gun to my head, and tell me to write, and I can go until carpal tunnel sets in, but evidently I struggle with the exactitude and punctuality that this 'job' requires, but I guess I'm okay with that...

...and besides, there are others on here who are much better equipped for the position should they decide to continue running with the ball, so in an unashamedly melodramatic manner, I hereby step down.

Comments

• edited April 2015
    That's life
    it's not only about the quality of the product but the operational complexities in delivering it. so we say good bye to a great creation and thank you for the huge work you put into it last year. 
    Meanwhile I'm pretty sure Mr reliable will be able to continue delivering his excellent replacement, won't you aussie? 
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Out, out, brief candle!:
    It's with a heavy heart that I have decided to kill the Main/Mini Leaderboard. I'm not a quitter, but as stubborn as I am, even I have realised this is not something I can realistically own at the moment. I had fallen behind and was playing catch-up, and that was never my intention when I started it, nor is it particularly workable for the end result. And, noticeably and somewhat fortuitously, several other threads have sprung to life in recent weeks that - in typical forum fashion - have plugged the gaps. To be perfectly honest when I produced the leaderboards for 2014 I didn't have a contingency plan for 2015, not that that was an issue in and of itself. I didn't mind keeping it going, but in the face of (amongst other things) a much more limited presence on the forums thus far this year, it has proven to be a greater task than it should be, and although I plan to be here more often from this point on, the maintenance of the thread is not something I would be able to guarantee. Best the knife goes in deep and true than to suffer a thousand paper cuts along the way. A wise man once told me to work to my strengths -  this kind of thing is obviously not what he was talking about! Give me a blank Word document, hold a gun to my head, and tell me to write, and I can go until carpal tunnel sets in, but evidently I struggle with the exactitude and punctuality that this 'job' requires, but I guess I'm okay with that... ...and besides, there are others on here who are much better equipped for the position should they decide to continue running with the ball, so in an unashamedly melodramatic manner, I hereby step down.
    Posted by Slipwater

so much so that you needed to do a new thread, when a simple note on yr OP would have sufficed :) 

oh, hi Slippy.
  • edited April 2015

As requested by Susan, in a PM, the Main & Mini Leaderboard thread has now been closed, & unstickied.

Big thanks to His SlipperyNess for all the hard work he put into it. It was a real magnum opus thingie.
  • edited April 2015
    Sammy - I make no apologies for my overt theatrics. You'll be saying I'm an attention seeker next.

Gelders - your thanks is appreciated.

See how easy it is to be nice, Sam?
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Out, out, brief candle!:
    Sammy - I make no apologies for my overt theatrics. You'll be saying I'm an attention seeker next. Gelders - your thanks is appreciated. See how easy it is to be nice, Sam?
    Posted by Slipwater

I would never accuse you of that... not like you even dress like a circus clown or owt to stand out - is it? :)
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for running this mate - can understand how much time it must have taken up.

Really kept me motivated last year.
  • edited April 2015

Great thread Slip
    Shame it's had to end but understand

• edited April 2015
    thanks for thread and hardwork you put into it bud :)
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Out, out, brief candle!:
    It's with a heavy heart that I have decided to kill the Main/Mini Leaderboard. I'm not a quitter, but as stubborn as I am, even I have realised this is not something I can realistically own at the moment. I had fallen behind and was playing catch-up, and that was never my intention when I started it, nor is it particularly workable for the end result. And, noticeably and somewhat fortuitously, several other threads have sprung to life in recent weeks that - in typical forum fashion - have plugged the gaps. To be perfectly honest when I produced the leaderboards for 2014 I didn't have a contingency plan for 2015, not that that was an issue in and of itself. I didn't mind keeping it going, but in the face of (amongst other things) a much more limited presence on the forums thus far this year, it has proven to be a greater task than it should be, and although I plan to be here more often from this point on, the maintenance of the thread is not something I would be able to guarantee. Best the knife goes in deep and true than to suffer a thousand paper cuts along the way. A wise man once told me to work to my strengths -  this kind of thing is obviously not what he was talking about! Give me a blank Word document, hold a gun to my head, and tell me to write, and I can go until carpal tunnel sets in, but evidently I struggle with the exactitude and punctuality that this 'job' requires, but I guess I'm okay with that... ...and besides, there are others on here who are much better equipped for the position should they decide to continue running with the ball, so in an unashamedly melodramatic manner, I hereby step down.
    Posted by Slipwater
    You are nothing to me now!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Out, out, brief candle! : You are nothing to me now!
    Posted by MattBates
    Probably the highest compliment you have ever thrown in my direction, buddy ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Thank you for your work at this despite the difficulties, it was appreciated by me and I suspect most others also.

• edited April 2015
    Understandable Slip, it's a pretty huge undertaking to maintain that everyday/week for a year, let alone two!

Cheers for running it for so long.
  • edited April 2015
    damn it.i was gonna steamroller this in the 2nd part of the year..wp slippy :)
  • edited April 2015
    damn it.i was gonna steamroller this in the 2nd part of the year..wp slippy :)
    Posted by stokefc
    I feel that too, mate.

I'll keep my eyes open for your name on Gary's results thread :)
  • edited April 2015

Excellent work enjoy your retirement:)