You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

What was I thinking?

edited April 2015 in The Poker Clinic
Was the play below valid at all? Looking back, I can't think why I did what I did. Playing 50p DYM.

J1GI  Small blind 50.00 50.00 2300.00
ninianpk Big blind 100.00 150.00 2075.00

Your hole cards KsQc

gis_speed Fold
RoversTID All-in 1630.00 1780.00 0.00
antrimkid Fold
J1GI  Call 1580.00 3360.00 720.00
ninianpk Fold
J1GI  Show  KhAs
RoversTID Show  KsQc

Flop  Jc2h3h

Turn  5h      
River           8h

J1GI Win Flush to the King 3360.00 4080.00

Comments

• edited April 2015
    No, just fold pre.

Think at those stakes with respect to some players a lot won't fold their Ax and low pairs even to this big jam so think we have less fold equity than playing against people at higher stakes.

Whilst on surface in some games that possibly have antes it doesn't look so bad, but in a DYM its reckless
  • edited April 2015
    I don't think fold pre is the answer, Matt (he is second to act) - but certainly a shove is far from optimal.
  • edited April 2015
    Need to know antrims stack to post optimal opinion, but raising 1/8th stack without button with KQo isn't great

We aint calling a jam and not really much room to play post flop if called, and from experience too many players defend their blinds/get stubborn down streets, just makes it awkward to play. Rather get to bubble and use the edge there
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks for the feedback. 

I think I was thinking that I might be called by a smaller pair and then hit a K or Q - I think but I don't know why I had that thought.

It was early on so didn't really have any idea of anyones table image but probably need to look at my range / position.
  • edited April 2015
    Your play isn't the worst in the world by any stretch especially if blinds are about to go up - it's pretty unlucky to run into AK/AQ or QQ+ majority of the time you will just pick up the blinds. It's a bit annoying if we get called by a small pair or a Ax we're flipping against but we still have decent equity. But it's probably not the most +ev play and is a pretty high variance spot.

Min-r pre would definitely be my preferred option. If blinds are stubborn then that's great for us - we have KQ! We can hit plenty of top pairs and get the chance to stack someone with a worse hand. If we miss flop and it's fairly dry we can also c-bet and take it down. Having to min-r/fold to shove or c-bet/fold aren't my worse concerns - with a raise + c-bet we might be down to 12bb which is fine + an easy stack size to play.

Folding pre def. seems too nitty imo and misses out on great oppertunities to potentially stack someone. I guess tho at 50p dym's if people are knocking each other out really frequently then the best bet might be to just fold your way to the bubble and only play premium hands.