You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

Tough spot in a live game

edited April 2015 in The Poker Clinic
I was playing a £25 freezeout, where i had no real knowledge of anyone i was playing... we started with 10k chips, and the blinds were at 100/200. we were about 30 mins in when the action unfolded as follows..  

Utg limped, then 2 more called, i was on the button with QQ so raised it uo to 1200, sb folded, and big blind, tanks and then cold calls my raise, the original limper called, utg+1 called and the other guy folded.

Flop comes down AKQ with AK both hearts (i didnt have a heart). The big blind then leads out for 2000 UTG then raises him to 4000 and UTG+1 shoves for 11000...

whats the plan here then???  

Comments

• edited April 2015
    What's your stack size?

I'm leaning towards a fold though. If you're ahead when the cards are flipped, it's not going to be by much. I can see AK shoving there, but it's a horrible spot regardless.
  • edited April 2015
    from what i remember, everyone involved in that hand was between 9k-14k.. i started the hand with 12k.
  • edited April 2015
    I've been playing with different card combos on a poker calculator, so:

Against anyone holding KK or AA you're 5%.

Against AK, 6h7h, ThJo you're 10%

Against TJo, AoJh KQo you're 14%

Against Th9h AQ AK you're 46%

Against TJo, 8h9h you're 35%

Against 6h7h, TJo, AQ you're 19%

Assumging the UTG player will also go all-in (fair assumption I think), you need to be ~25% to call. 

After all that, I still don't know what I'd do! If it was online, I'd call and simply load up another table if I lost. If in a live setting there was a juicy sidegame then I'd call (I often see the guys who are knocked out early from the MTT throwing money to the wind in SnGs!) But if I'd driven for an hour to get to the game and would be driving straight home again if I busted out, I'd let it go.

What did they show in the end? Did you call and get outdrawn by 6h7h?

• edited April 2015
    I actually tanked for a few minutes and then folded. 

The BB had KK

UTG had J10

UTG+1 had 89hh

I was chuffed with myself for folding,

then the case Queen hit on the river.
  • edited April 2015
    I actually tanked for a few minutes and then folded. 

The BB had KK

UTG had J10

UTG+1 had 89hh

I was chuffed with myself for folding,

then the case Queen hit on the river.
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: Tough spot in a live game:
    I actually tanked for a few minutes and then folded.  The BB had KK UTG had J10 UTG+1 had 89hh I was chuffed with myself for folding, then the case Queen hit on the river.
    Posted by jordz16
    Is that when you told them you had QQ and nobody believed you!!

In my book its a fold. Sick hand though!!
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Tough spot in a live game:
    I was playing a £25 freezeout, where i had no real knowledge of anyone i was playing... we started with 10k chips, and the blinds were at 100/200. we were about 30 mins in when the action unfolded as follows..   Utg limped, then 2 more called, i was on the button with QQ so raised it uo to 1200, sb folded, and big blind, tanks and then cold calls my raise, the original limper called, utg+1 called and the other guy folded. Flop comes down AKQ with AK both hearts (i didnt have a heart). The big blind then leads out for 2000 UTG then raises him to 4000 and UTG+1 shoves for 11000... whats the plan here then???  
    Posted by jordz16
    At the risk of appearing reckless i could quite easily call here. Depending on how many runners there are and how many spots are being paid a possible triple / quadrouple up should mean we can get a money finish.

Dont get me wrong folding is the optimum play but occassionally in life and frequently in poker its the risky play that pays off, the fact that youwere behind when you made your very good fold means that in poker terms you played the hand well.