You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

First visit to the wsop

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
Hi all for my 50th birthday my wife is paying for the buy in at the WSOP senior event (How lucky am I ) as iv never been before i wondered if anybody can help me.Do you have to pay the buy in at the rio hotel or can you pay online before you go.I saw a video of Tikay on you tube and people were queuing for up to 4 hours just to get in.How long does the event normally last as i need to book the right amount of days in vegas.We are staying at the MGM Grand as it works out alot cheaper than staying at the rio who obviously jack there prices up when the world series is on so i was wondering how far away from the rio it is and how easy it is to get there and finally roughly how long each day do you play as i no my wife is ok in vegas but if i do well it means she has to spend alot of time on her own because after all as shes paying for the buy in i can hardly leave her at home lol

Comments

• edited April 2015
    In Response to First visit to the wsop:
    Hi all for my 50th birthday my wife is paying for the buy in at the WSOP senior event (How lucky am I ) as iv never been before i wondered if anybody can help me.Do you have to pay the buy in at the rio hotel or can you pay online before you go.I saw a video of Tikay on you tube and people were queuing for up to 4 hours just to get in.How long does the event normally last as i need to book the right amount of days in vegas.We are staying at the MGM Grand as it works out alot cheaper than staying at the rio who obviously jack there prices up when the world series is on so i was wondering how far away from the rio it is and how easy it is to get there and finally roughly how long each day do you play as i no my wife is ok in vegas but if i do well it means she has to spend alot of time on her own because after all as shes paying for the buy in i can hardly leave her at home lol
    Posted by subzero1

Hi Sub,

Very nice, you must have a wonderful wife, what a lovely 50th Birthday gift that is.

You've asked a lot of questions, so I will try & answer a few of them, one at a time.
  • edited April 2015

How long will the Seniors Event last?

Very unusually, it has an early start, at 10am, on Friday June 19th.

The whole thing will take 3 days before they get to a winner. 

So in theory, you could be playing for 3 days straight, if you were to go very deep, or even win it.

Play on Days 2 & 3 commences at 11am.
  • edited April 2015
    Good luck subzero1. If you're comfortable putting your real name out there (or in a PM), I'll keep an eye out for you in the chip counts when doing the WSOP thread on here.
  • edited April 2015

How long will play last each day?

Well on Day 1 you are scheduled to play 11 (Eleven) 1 hour levels. (Starting at 10am). 

After every TWO levels, there will be a 20 minute break. 

There will be a 90 minute dinner break after SIX Levels on Day One.

So, if you tot all that up, play is scheduled to end just before Midnight on Day One.

Day 2 follows a similar pattern, except play will not start until 11am, & you will only play 10 levels.

Day 3 also starts at 11am, & will continue until it is won.   

• edited April 2015

What will your wife do whilst you are playing?

Well she can rail you, though sometimes the barriers are a long way back, & she may barely be able to see you. It's not a good spectator experience, truth to tell, well not until you make late on Day 2 or even Day 3 - then it's un-missable.  

She will also have to leave the arena 10 minutes before every break. You can arrange to meet her in the Rio Corridor, outside, or even by the Media Centre.

If she enjoys shopping though, Vegas is the nuts for a young lady who enjoys shopping, & has a credit card. 

Some of the shopping areas she could consider visiting are...

Caesars Mall. (One of the biggest of it's kind in the world).

Ye Olde shoppes, Venetian Hotel. Magnificent array of shops.

The Fashion Mall.

Those three shopping centres are all closely grouped together, on the Strip, though she will need to take a cab from either The Rio or the MGM Grand. It is not THAT far, but it is blisteringly hot in Vegas, & it is unwise to try & walk too far.
  • edited April 2015

Can you buy-in online? Yes, just visit the official WSOP site.

Personally, I find its easier to buy in at The Rio. There ARE queues every morning, average wait time is an hour, & for big events, several hours is not unusual.

The Seniors Event attracts a huge field, too, usually some 4,500, maybe 5,000 this year, so there WILL be huge queues in the morning before it starts.

The answer is simple, though. The Registration Desk is open 24/7, so just pop across the previous afternoon or evening, or just before you go to bed, & you'll be fine, no waiting at all. 

BEFORE you can buy in, you will need a Total Rewards Card. You can get these in any Harrahs property, or, even better, at the Total Rewards Desk which is smack bang next door to the Registration Desk.

You will need your Passport, too, both to get your Total Rewards Card, & to buy-in.

Make sure you take with you to the table.....

1) Your Passport

2) Your white card (which you get when you buy-in) which contains Seat & table draw & colour of the area in which you will be playing.  You MUST TAKE THESE WITH YOU. You won't be allowed to take your seat if you don't.

• edited April 2015

How far from MGM Grand to The Rio?

It is not really walkable, due to the extreme heat.

A cab will cost, at a guess, between $11 & $15 each way, allowing for a sensible tip.
  • edited April 2015

Think that covers everything? If not, don't be afraid to ask.
  • edited April 2015
    Your a lucky man Subzero, I hope you and your wife enjoy your trip and I wish you as much luck in the event.
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks Tikay I think that just about covers it but im alittle bit worried about giving my wife my credit card to go shopping i'll have to win the event just to pay the card off.If your playing the main event this year well good luck with that and to 67bhoys and Tikay yes I agree im a very lucky man and I do have a wonderful wife
  • edited April 2015
    Go and register the night before, at 10-12pm.  I always do this when I'm playing at the Rio and have never had to wait more than a few minutes.

When you get a cab, make sure you get them to drop you off at the WSOP entrance.  The main hotel entrances is a good 5-7 mins walk from the WSOP rooms.

You will need a cab from the MGM.

The best shops are the Premium Outlets.  There are 2, North and South.  I think South is better.  Again a $20 cab but massive savings compared to the UK high street.