You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

always add-on in a rebuy?

edited April 2015 in Poker Chat
was having a small discussion in the chatbox of the rebuy last night during the rebuy open if it is always correct to purchase the add-on regardless of your chipstack at the time and was wondering what the communitys taughts are?is it always correct to add more chips?does there become a point when an extra 4,000 chips makes little impact to your stack and at what amount would it be?is there a point where you have so little its not worth it? 

Comments

• edited April 2015
    Always worth it, same with rebuying at the start of the tournament
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: always add-on in a rebuy?:
    Posted by Matt237
    What Matt said, a lot of the time the add on is made better value so you get more chips for your £.
  • edited April 2015
    I think you should almost always add on.

The only exception being (IMO) when you are far and away the chip leader. Say you have 55k, the average is 12k, and 2nd has 32k. Adding 4k to your stack is gonna make little difference, and the chasing pack adding 4k doesn't suddenly put you under pressure at the top of the tree.

Even then, I'd still probably tank in the 3 minute break then add on at the last second. But could understand if someone running away with it didn't feel the need to cough up another £11.
  • edited April 2015
    I wouldn't say always but most of the time yeah - you'd need a pretty big chip stack/lead as well as certain table situations to make it not worth it. eg. You have 25k chips and addon is 4k but nobody at your table has more than 8k and the whole table is passive where you can steal chips with ease then maybe there is v little value in an addon but even then you could end up quickly moving tables + being a chip leader and having a much better chance of winning, the addon only needs to make a v small difference for your expected tournament value to go up enough to make it worthwhile.

Another situation where an addon might not be worth it (although don't think this is likely with any structures on sky) but suppose you have 8-12bb and a very comfortable stack size for you but an addon will take you to 20-25bb and you're on a tough table where you are really going to struggle with this stack-size - then it might be better to not take the addon. 

But in general, you can't go wrong with always taking the addon.
  • edited April 2015
    Have to say just like all the others, that it is almost certain that you should take the add on. Perhaps if you have a massive lead it may be right, but even then the £11 you invest, if you win you get approx £2.50 of it back. Also look at the risk if not adding on allows you to come 2nd instead of first, then that could cost you £1,000 in the difference in payout. As a rule regard a £11 tornament as a minimum of £33 thats Buy in + rebuy + add on, if you do that then you don't think of the add on as extra payout to play, but rather as part of the entrance fee.
  • edited April 2015

I'm so old and I've been around so long I can remember when they very first introduced add-ons in UK poker (way before online games). It was about 1990. I had a friend who sometimes went to Vegas to play and it was Vegas that gave them the idea.

I asked him what I should do as he was pretty smart. He said you should only add-on if you can add at least 18% to your stack. I have always used that as a guideline. I reckon it's a bit of a high number and if you told me you preferred 12-15% I wouldn't argue but 18% is the rule I have always stuck to.
  • edited April 2015
     I'm so old and I've been around so long I can remember when they very first introduced add-ons in UK poker (way before online games). It was about 1990. I had a friend who sometimes went to Vegas to play and it was Vegas that gave them the idea.  I asked him what I should do as he was pretty smart. He said you should only add-on if you can add at least 18% to your stack. I have always used that as a guideline. I reckon it's a bit of a high number and if you told me you preferred 12-15% I wouldn't argue but 18% is the rule I have always stuck to.
    Posted by NChanning
    A good point but nothing is black or white like that. I have played on other sites where the add on is only now worth 1 BB, it would be wrong to add on regardless. Some where the add on is so large that not to take it is silly. I assumed it was on Sky we were talking in which case take the add on unless you are the leader and the add on makes little differance to your stack
  • edited April 2015

I don't get that Gary...If the add-on is worth just 1bb to you and you are using my system then you take it if you have 5 bbs or less but not if you have 6bbs or more as you need to add at least 18% to your stack.

If by the add-on being so large you mean where you get more than a regular rebuy or add-on which can happen then generally I would take it but generally in that situation it will add more than 18% to my stack.
  • edited April 2015
     I'm so old and I've been around so long I can remember when they very first introduced add-ons in UK poker (way before online games). It was about 1990. I had a friend who sometimes went to Vegas to play and it was Vegas that gave them the idea.  I asked him what I should do as he was pretty smart. He said you should only add-on if you can add at least 18% to your stack. I have always used that as a guideline. I reckon it's a bit of a high number and if you told me you preferred 12-15% I wouldn't argue but 18% is the rule I have always stuck to.
    Posted by NChanning
    I like this.

Like others I'm never quite sure if I should always take the add-on in certain situations, but invariably do, 'just in case'.

In future if I go with this calculation and end up not cashing, at least I can blame the formula and not my game ;)
  • edited April 2015
    Neil there are times to give in, in a tournament with an extended rebuy structure it can get to the stage when the add on is available that the add on is now only worth 1BB. If the average chips tack is about 30BB, and the leaders are in the region of 200BB while you have only 2BB, then you are in trouble and need to get very lucky. Your formula says they should add on as it increases their stack by 50%. I say it is not worth it you will now have 3BB and still be in trouble and need to get very lucky several times. As this is such a long shot it is not worth the value of the add on ,it is a poor bet. 
  • edited April 2015
    I see what you are saying now.

Pretty rare situation that. For that to happen to me I'd have to be all-in on the final hand before the rebuys and add-on stop and the other guy to cover me by 2bbs. I would almost never blind down to 2bbs and if it happened on the 2nd-last hand before the rebuys ended that I lost all but 2bbs then I would stick them in on the last hand every time.

Don't you get to rebuy if you have 2bbs at the end of the rebuys anyway? I would rebuy and add-on and have a double stack plus 2bbs. It wouldn't really concern me what the chip leaders had.
  • edited April 2015
    Neil you can,t rebuy you have too many chips, if the add on is 1BB then your starting stack is now only worth 1BB. Some of these turbo tournaments with extended rebuys can get silly.
  • edited April 2015

Really? 2bbs is too many? I'm not sure I've seen one like that. I guess in that extreme set of circumstances that might happen to me once every ten years then I'll have to amend the old rule.

Cheers.
  • edited April 2015
    Now you've really lost me.
  • edited April 2015
    Posted by Matt237
    I didn't realise that people should really technically re-buy when the start one of these style events. I guess that's probably why I heard lambert refer to "double stacking" early on during one of his streams..

Would you suggest though to do the same in a free-roll?
  • edited April 2015
    Neil you can,t rebuy you have too many chips, if the add on is 1BB then your starting stack is now only worth 1BB. Some of these turbo tournaments with extended rebuys can get silly.
    Posted by Sir-Gary
    If the add on is worth that unreg pre
  • edited April 2015

The question was whether it was correct to always have the add-on regardless of stack size and I think a lot of the answers have swayed this way and that as far as a definitive answer goes so I'm going to give as good an answer as I can just to throw things in another direction. My answer is... yes... yes it is.

• edited April 2015
    Personaly I would if on middle-low stack However I played the 300 and 250 £ Guarenteen rebuy yesterday and cashed in both 4th and 13 without add ons or rebuys :D
  • edited April 2015
    Personaly I would if on middle-low stack However I played the 300 and 250 £ Guarenteen rebuy yesterday and cashed in both 4th and 13 without add ons or rebuys :D
    Posted by whitebeast
    Maybe you would have won if you had gone for a rebuy and an add on
  • edited April 2015
    In Response to Re: always add-on in a rebuy? : If the add on is worth that unreg pre
    Posted by MattBates
    Beat me to it.

Dunno what comps you're playing Gary where an add-on is ever 1 big blind, but I'd strongly suggest you stop playing them.
  • edited April 2015
    Frenzies. And let me tell you, he always rebuys ;)