You need to be logged in to your Sky Poker account above to post discussions and comments.

You might need to refresh your page afterwards.

Sky Poker forums will be temporarily unavailable from 11pm Wednesday July 25th.
Sky Poker Forums is upgrading its look! Stay tuned for the big reveal!

hand analyses anyone

edited April 2015 in The Poker Clinic
i reacently played a hand at 0.50/1.00

at a 4 handed table on the button i hold 9s9h 

i raise to 3.00
sb 3 bet to 9.5

i call the 6.5 pot is £21  i have 124 pound back and sb had 174

flop comes : 8 10 j rainbow

sb c/b 15 
i call the 15 pot £51  with 109 left and sb 159 lef

turn: jh

check 
check

river: 7s
sb checks 
i bet £20 
sb CR to £85 

and i call 

opinions anyone should that be a fold 
sb is a player who plays high cash games too

Comments

• edited April 2015
    It's a call all day long. The pot odds alone (65 into what would be a pot of 221) make it a call, even with hands much weaker than yours. In addition, if he has you beat, checking the river is objectively a mistake: you have been passive post flop and there is no reason for him to think that you will now come out firing - there is a huge range of hands that you will check back with.

• edited April 2015
    There is no such thing as "Pot odds alone makes this a call" - Our hand is a bluff-catcher at this point as villain isn't raising any worse hands for value (or 9x for a chop) - if villain had 9x they'd either be leading river themselves or c/c, definitely not c/r. We need villain to therefore be bluffing 30% of the time to make this a call, and I struggle to see that being the case unless villain believes you are capable of folding 9x here.

As for villains river check being a mistake - maybe. But 9x is a very likely holding for us, if he can trap us for a bet + raise then he's making more value by checking river than just leading out (where we would only flat with the straight)

As an aside, our pot odds aren't even that great OTR anyway. 30% is pretty standard. If villain had min-r river we'd only need to be correct 15% of the time for calling to be correct - now that would be more likely to say "pot odds alone makes this a call" but even in that situaion, the good pot odds probably means villain is bluffing close to never.